Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Surgeries and post-op depression - helpful guide to dealing with this

Started by Michelle_P, November 24, 2017, 10:56:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michelle_P

Transitioning involves surgery for some of us.  Bottom surgery, top surgery, facial work, all major surgeries that have a significant impact on us.

Anesthesia, low level pain, post-surgical trauma recovery, and the reduced level of activity all take their toll.

Those of us undergoing surgery have to be mindful of this, and aware of our own state.  We have to keep in mind that this is a temporary thing, and will pass as we recover and heal.

Dr. Mary Shinn put out this list, which I find very helpful.

Post-operative Emotions Reminder List
This is for me to remember that feelings of sadness post-operatively is normal.  I realize that this does not happen to all people but the few that it does happen to may include me.  I know that I need to be patient and think positive as it promotes better healing and relaxation.  I know that I need to wait out my healing period before I pass judgment and follow my surgeon's instructions to increase my chances of a great result.  I do know that stress and anxiety can only make matters worse and I will try my best to not let it affect me.

1. I will be:
-sore
-tired
-irritable
-unsure
-possibly depressed
-bloated
-bored
-anxious
-restless
-unable to sleep at times

2. During my recovery my treatment area may:

-be asymmetrical
-be crooked swollen
-be swollen
-be bruised
-be tender
-experience sharp pains or numbness
-be firm or hard
-break out with acne
-experience irritation from the tape or anesthetic

I also realize that even the daily subtle changes or flaws that I may see in the mirror may not be visible to others as I am my own worst critic.  I do realize once I heal my changes can be seen with the help of before and after photos and if I do not like the end result I after I am healed many months from now I can approach my surgeon regarding my dissatisfaction.

I know I must not take out my insecurities or anger on my significant other, family, or friends but I sometimes cannot help it and need to vent my frustration or sadness.  I know I need to keep my chin up and let my body and mind heal because my surgery is intensive and can trigger many emotions.  I know that I can always get support from my loved ones and friends, be they "in the flesh" or online.

I know this state of disarray and being unsure is only temporary.  Today I will smile and remain patient because tomorrow will be another day and will bring me one day closer to being fully healed.
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

Briah

This is a super list and it is true for anybody who is undergoing any surgery, and frankly any major change in life.

One of the things that happens when there is a major change in life that we have been anticipating for a long time—graduation, job change, adoption, child, transition, etc.—there is a let down once the initial goal has been accomplished.  This may be in the form of a depression. 

One way to reduce or avoid this is to recognize that you are just taking a step in a journey and focus on the journey.  Set new goals before the surgery or change.  Keep the focus on the future.  Where you are today is just a short stopping off point.  There will be more changes coming and more life to life.  Rejoice in the life to live.
  •  

Dani

When I was much younger, I dreamed of walking into a clinic as male and 2 weeks later walking out completely female.

As reality set in, I realized that this dream was not going to happen. Transition take time and the older you are it seems you need more surgeries. Such is life. :angel:
  •  

Susan

I may be unique, but i really can't say I had any post surgery depression. I had pre-surgery jitters but that was it. Waking up after surgery until my body became accustomed to the new lay of the land was an OMG moment though. I was actually in shock IE shivering...

Actually that looks like a sideaffect of the General Anesthesia.

QuoteOne of the unpleasant side effects of general anesthesia is shivering in the process of recovery. It is an involuntary oscillatory mechanical movement that can be classified as clonic movements. These movements can affect one or several groups of skeletal muscles beginning from 5 to 30 minutes after the discontinuation of anesthesia.

The best way to deal with depression though is 1. To keep busy, distract the mind. 2. To talk it out with someone who is willing to listen openly.
Susan Larson
Founder
Susan's Place Transgender Resources

Help support this website and our community by Donating or Subscribing!
  •  

Charlie Nicki

Thank you for this list! It's amazing and definitely shows how I'm feeling right now. I knew post op depression was a possibility but I convinced myself it wouldn't happen to me. I think it's happening now and everyone tells me it's absolutely normal. So I'm glad I found this topic, it made me smile.
Latina :) I speak Spanish, English and a bit of Portuguese.
  •