Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Losing or gaining weight a part of your transition?

Started by Shambles, May 30, 2018, 03:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you see a change in weight an integral part of your transition?

Yes i need the change to be able to be me
13 (68.4%)
No but i am trying to lose weight / bulk up
4 (21.1%)
No my weight is just fine
1 (5.3%)
Just show me the results!
1 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Shambles

For me ive put on alot of weight over the years, it was part of the trigger to come to the trans realsization, looking in the mirror i just didnt see me but i knew i was under all that fat somewhere.

I see a weight loss an intergral part of my transition, not that it will make me more female in appearance more that all that extra baggage just isnt me, its not something im doing alongside my transition but its a major part of it.

How do you feel about your weight?
- Jo / Joanna

Pre-HRT Trans-Fem
16th Nov 17 - Came out to myself
7th Jan 18 - Came out to wife
31st Jan 18 - Referred to GIC / might be seen in 2020
Oct 18 - Fully out at one job, part out at another
Nov 18 - Out to close family
  •  

Lynne

Losing weight is certainly a part of my transition. When I decided that I will lose weight to look better as a girl I was 65 kg(143 lbs) and that was 15 years ago. I wanted to be 55 kg. Then there was depression, stress eating etc.. and I reached more than 85 kg(187 lb) when I stopped doing sports. I think doing sports saved me from killing myself and helped me to build muscles as well so I don't look as fat as one would expect based on the weight alone.

Years later when we didn't have money to eat enough for at least 6 months I went down to 70 kg but as soon as money rolled in, back to 85... Then last year I could shave off 10 kilos but now I'm back where I started...

I still eat too much unhealthy stuff when I'm not feeling well, and I'm not feeling well because I keep putting off coming out at work and going full-time. And in turn that makes me fat, which makes me even less eager to come out(and there are the voice issues as well).
I also need to lose weight because I will probably gain weight and lose muscle once I start HRT.

I'm aiming for a slightly muscular look but at least a size smaller than I'm now with all the extra weight.
  •  

DustKitten

I'm mildly anorexic due to dysphoria. I'm 6 feet tall, and I weighed 145lbs until about a year ago; since then, I've lost another 10. After I get on hormones, I'm hoping I can gain about 15-20 pounds so I won't look so thin anymore. I think it'd be easier for me to gain weight when I know it won't all go straight to my stomach.
  •  

Dani

Quote from: Shambles on May 30, 2018, 03:07:22 PM

About 8 years before my transition, I weighed 340 pounds and I am 6 feet tall. I was in the morbidly obese range. My doctor suggested gastric bypass surgery.

When I decided to transition, I knew that I had to lose over 100 pounds just to get the GCS I needed.  With that as my motivation, I started eating mainly vegetables and I started losing about 5 pounds a month. After two years of my almost vegan diet, I had lost over 100 pounds. After my GCS, I thought a more rounded diet would help speed healing. I did heal nicely, but I gained about 20 pounds back while shrinking to 5'11". I am now trying to shed a few pounds again. It is a struggle.

For me, the single most important thing I did in my transition is to lose weight. Not only did the weight loss allow for my GCS, it also was the single most feminizing thing I did. Much more feminizing than even FFS. With both FFS and weight loss, I pass completely. I get mam'ed and miss all day long, as well as a few other names such as honey and sweetie. I just love it.  :angel:
  •  

Lauren O

I had to loose weight for my surgery. Initially I got down to 107kg from a starting weight of 148kg. I'm six foot tall. Then my first surgeon knocked me back because I was apparently four kilos too heavy (bastard). I then went into a bad head space and shot up to 160kg. Ended up having gastric sleeve surgery and getting back down to 120kg when I had surgery finally with a much better surgeon. I used the gastric sleeve to loose weight plus a few unhealthy 'weight cutting' techniques. It messes with your head big time but it's all done now thankfully
HRT January 2012
BA November 2013 - Kamol Institute, Bangkok SRS April 2018, PAI, Bangkok Thailand
  •  

MissyMay2.0

After 20 years of bodybuilding, I weighed ~200 lbs., and I was extremely muscular with very low body fat when I started HRT the first time, so I knew it would take several years to a decade for me to be able to socially transition, because even with estrogen in my system that's how long it would take for most of the muscle mass to atrophy.
  •  

Nova_Noelle

I definitely feel that I need to lose weight to feel like my true self. 

Good luck to everyone in their journeys toward becoming their true selves. 

With Love,
Noelle
Have courage and be kind.
  •  

Chanteur

Weight loss is definitely a part of my transition plan.

When I began seeing my therapist, I weight 284lbs and had a BMI of 50.3.

A lot of surgeons would not operate on someone so morbidly obese.

I am now down to 232lbs and a BMI of 35.3. Still high, but getting there.

My goal is to be ~130-150 lbs by the time I am ready for SRS/GRS. Which is looking like about 2020/2021 timeframe.

My goal is 25lbs every 6 months. Current target is 230lbs by summer (Was 225lbs but behind schedule). Still have a goal of 200lbs by end of year.

•  

Brenda80

Yes, definite part of transitioning.
I was 90kg prior to transitioning, during transitioning I drop till 55kg and now stabilise at 49kg.
I am not pretty tall about 1.67m hence generally my stocky build needs to be compensated by the weight loss else my body frame structure will look strange.
  •  

Kylo

My weight ain't bad but testosterone shifted some of the subcutaneous butt and thigh fat right on to my abs. People say it doesn't do this on its own, but it does, at least in my experience. So the former higher % body fat is now excess and has to be got rid of. Not a problem if I watch my eating habits. I can lose 1 lb every 3 days without exercise if need be, 2-3 with. My weight is easy to manipulate, I don't smoke or drink any more so there's that.

"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

nikkiannukts

I used to be 106Kg and am now down to 88kg with a plan for about 80kg.    At 6'5'' tall that puts me in the normal female BMI range and has certainly helped my fitness/wellbeing generally.

Will I ever be sylph like - no but being able to fit in median size female clothes and the accompanying weight/muscle loss has helped my general appearance dramatically.

Will try to post some before and after pictures.

Nikki
x
  •  

Amaki

Quote from: Shambles on May 30, 2018, 03:07:22 PM
For me ive put on alot of weight over the years, it was part of the trigger to come to the trans realsization, looking in the mirror i just didnt see me but i knew i was under all that fat somewhere.

I see a weight loss an intergral part of my transition, not that it will make me more female in appearance more that all that extra baggage just isnt me, its not something im doing alongside my transition but its a major part of it.

I actually agree I've know I was heavier for a while (its actually one of the reasons why I left the military when my 4 years ended). For some reason Im more focused about my weight now than I ever was when I was in the military.

I'm still pretty heavy now but Im keeping a weight log as well as a log for my bp Im doing everything I put on the back burner to help focus me and keep me on track.

so yeah I feel good about about talking about it right now too lol
If life is too short for what ifs, than way do they always strike at the worse times.

Most people are worried about burning bridges, but forget about the consistent fire that burns on the roads we walk

In the end we only regret the chances we didnt take. -Lewis Carroll

Feel free to call me Sophia Lee if you want

The journey may not be new but its a new journey.

16 Apr 2018 - Start of a new chapter
8 Jun 2018- VA is working with me to move forward
11 Jul 2018 - consultation with Psych doctor
14 Jul 2018 - Dad confronted me...
7 Aug 2018 - Started HRT
25 Oct 2018 - Started Speech Therapy
24 Apr 2019 - Official name is Sophia Lee Bell

•  

Chanteur

I use an app called LoseIt to track my calories in. Also have an Apple Watch to track calories out.

I rarely exercise, and ive lost 50lbs so far just really by tracking calories, no special diet or anything...

I still eat 4 slices of Little Caesars hot n ready pizza often and still losing weight.

•  

babu

Mine is all about health, everything about it seems to make me a better version of myself - or the real me. Part of that is shedding unhealthy fat just as much as unhealthy habits. I don't want to bulk up too much with muscle, so I maintain tone and focus on being bendy instead.
  •  

Brenda80

Oh, an additional observation from me...
Post op- extremely hard to lose weight. Immediately after my post-op during recovery of that month, i did lose 3 to 4kg prolly due to lack of appetite. But now to maintain its extremely hard not to mention losing weight... thankfully still at hovering around my lowest weight (keeping fingers crossed). So do make it a point to lose weight as much as possible pre-op....
  •