Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Is calm contentment the same as happiness?

Started by Natasha, December 27, 2007, 06:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Natasha

My heart might not be singing, but if I experience the feeling of coming to terms with my situation, trying to detach from desires and expectations, and finding peace, is that happiness? Or is that more a road towards happiness?
  •  

Pica Pica

I think it's happiness but not joy. Joy is spicier.
  •  

RebeccaFog

Joy is the thing with feathers.

Contentment is a good place to be but it can degrade quickly.  Or it can escalate into joy/happiness.

You can't have happiness without joy.

You can't have happiness without feathers.
  •  

Butterfly

Calm contentment...yes, its happiness of a sort. A kinda half-way happy, sort of just floating along path. Except...you say detached from desires and expectations? Detached, that's not happy, that's avoiding the sources of confusion and misdirection. They, too, can turn into "happy"
If you want to be happy...not the Disney version of happy, song in your heart, liquid smile on your face, but happy....then learn to cherish everything. Cherish the tears as well as the joy. The sorrows, the desires, the wants, the needs, the ups and downs, every moment of every day for what it is. A journey through a life that YOU make what you want it to be.
You can be happy just having a quiet moment to sit and watch a child playing with the joyous abandon of youth. You can be happy crying over a chick-flick with a good friend. You can be happy making the decision to be happy.
Happiness isn't a magic state that just goes "poof" and its there. Happiness is being at peace...with yourself, with your life, with your decisions....you have to want it, you have to journey to it every single day.
  •  

tekla

FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

NicholeW.

Quote from: Butterfly on December 29, 2007, 12:08:34 AM
Calm contentment...yes, its happiness of a sort. A kinda half-way happy, sort of just floating along path. Except...you say detached from desires and expectations? Detached, that's not happy, that's avoiding the sources of confusion and misdirection. They, too, can turn into "happy"
If you want to be happy...not the Disney version of happy, song in your heart, liquid smile on your face, but happy....then learn to cherish everything. Cherish the tears as well as the joy. The sorrows, the desires, the wants, the needs, the ups and downs, every moment of every day for what it is. A journey through a life that YOU make what you want it to be.
You can be happy just having a quiet moment to sit and watch a child playing with the joyous abandon of youth. You can be happy crying over a chick-flick with a good friend. You can be happy making the decision to be happy.
Happiness isn't a magic state that just goes "poof" and its there. Happiness is being at peace...with yourself, with your life, with your decisions....you have to want it, you have to journey to it every single day.

Surely, this is the last word. Wonderfully done.
  •  

SusanK

Quote from: Natasha on December 27, 2007, 06:54:12 PM
My heart might not be singing, but if I experience the feeling of coming to terms with my situation, trying to detach from desires and expectations, and finding peace, is that happiness? Or is that more a road towards happiness?

There is no road to happiness, it's the unfelt experience you have traveling the road of your life. It's what you felt when you look back to discover how much you felt whole and alive. You can't look for happiness and you won't find it because it exists in everything you do. Happiness is who you are and what you do. If you try to feel it, then you aren't focusing on what you're thinking and doing. How many times have you done something and afterward felt or said something like, "Wow, that was cool."? That was happiness but did you feel it then? No? But you felt good and alive. Good luck.

--Susan--
  •  

Jeannette

The struggle for happiness, I believe is ever elusive. Picture a rabbit on a self-powered tread-mill with a carrot and stick just feet in front of it, so it's motivated to power the treadmill. To me it is the same with happiness and our pursuit of it.

So what is the treadmill for me? And why am I on it? and more importantly, how can I get off it, and flank that carrot for digestion purposes? For me the treadmill represents, the elusive search to find my idenity in others, if you search thru my other posts, I tend to be non-conventional in my thinking.

Doing so has been lonely at times, but I have become more and more of me, instead of a mixture of people that fail-me and of more-importance don't necessarily have my best-interest at heart.

I'm not completely off the treadmill, for I still choose to look, for confirmation outside myself from time to time, because I'm human. Accepting this, yet challenging yourself to figure out how to get that carrot without the treadmill, is your key to contentment.  Happiness will be found in enjoying the carrot, but till then, you're going to be sweating bullets (as you, Americans, say), trying to get there. Good luck, and if you figure it out, please let us know.
  •  

lisagurl

I prefer the general feeling of a calm well being to happiness or other roller coaster emotions.
  •