Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

[FtM] difficulties breathing because of binder?

Started by umoliver, June 08, 2018, 04:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

umoliver

Hello and happy pride month! I don't know if this is the right place to ask this so my apologies if I should have posted this somewhere else. Also, sorry if people have already asked this a ton, I couldn't find anything about this.

My names Oliver, I'm FtM (he/him and they/them pronouns), I'm currently 13-years-old (turning 14 next month), and lately I've been having some breathing difficulties. I've been chest binding for about a year now and started having breathing difficulties about 4-5 months ago. I've noticed I can't take deep breaths anymore and it's become especially hard to breathe after exercising (and not because I'm out of shape or anything like that). I don't wear my binder when I'm exercising, I only wear it for a maximum of 7-8 hours (i haven't worn my binder since summer started), I don't wear it when I'm sleeping, and I follow all the binding rules that I know. My binder fits me well and it's not super tight so I don't think it's too small but I think my breathing difficulties are caused by me binding.

I'm really worried that I'm damaging my ribs and/or lungs and that my breathing will get worse. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do to fix my breathing problems?
  •  

Dena

Welcome to Susan's Place. Most people don't breath properly and breath through their chest. When you take voice or singing lessons they teach you how to breath through your diaphragm. When done properly your chest will expand very little when you take a deep breath. Instead, if you place your hand just below your rib cage, you will feel that areas expand the you take a breath. Breathing through your diaphragm actually allows you to take in far more air than you do with your chest. To learn how to do this, put one hand on your chest and one just below your rib cage and practice breathing using this method. I think you will find that your able to breath easer even while wearing a binder.

Things that you should read

Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •