Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

An Introduction

Started by titaniumowl, February 11, 2006, 07:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

titaniumowl

Hello, I am Karen , in my mind. From 1997 to 2002, I lived full time as a woman. My transition was done while I worked for an over-the-road trucking company. They were very supportive even to the extent of putting me into a brand new tractor so no one would relate Karen and Jim to the same equipment. I am sure it helped that I have been ranked in the top 7 drivers out of 600 just the month before.  :angel:

Although my children had all reached adulthood by 2002 and all have subsequently graduated from 4 year colleges, I found that they need parents. As a mother, in my mind, I recognized their need for their dad. My childhood was made somewhat bearable by the presence of my maternal grandfather. In my case, I felt that when I participated in their conception, I had made a deal with each of my children to be their dad, not their aunt or second mother.

There are 6 of them. 2 were supportive of Karen. 2 were neutral and 2 resistive. Now, that I have returned to living as their dad, Jim, all 6 have positive relationships with me.

When I first joined a TS support group, I heard some people say that one had to be prepared to lose everyone in one's life. One needed to form an entirely new family. Screw all those who can't/won't support one's choices. That stance may well work for the young, single childless individual. For a natural woman, the true female instinct is usually the good of her children, even at great sacrifice to herself. What I experience as a TS female has mirrored what natural woman have confirmed in my conversations with them. My reaction/response has be authentically female.

My children need a father; my grandchildren, one here, one due in April, will need a grandpa. When I look around, there is only me to be dad while the grandpa duties can be shared. So internally identified female me, has reassumed the role of dad and will assume the role of grandpa.

My female identity is hidden and somewhat frustrated by this situation. The positive experiences I am having with my kids and, now, their kids, is a very rewarding compensation. I still need to find a satisfactory was to live my female life.

Transition was both hard and easy for me. I will be happy to try to answer questions people my have.

Another thing, in 2000, as Karen, I became a bilateral, above-knee amputee in February (on the 11th as it happens). In August of 2000, I required a single coronary artery by-pass graft. These life altering events I am sure informed me, at some level of awareness, of the relative value of things in life. Were it not for the major surgeries, I would have had SRS done in 2002 or 2003.

I sometimes think that had I done the SRS, I could somehow do dad and grandpa and in secret I would have my vagina and breasts and retained my hairless appearing skin. That is where the inner angst comes from now.

Karen
  •  

beth

Welcome to Susan's Karen,

I am glad you have come to a place in your life that you feel comfortable, I think that is what we all seek. Your kids and grand children are lucky to have you for a dad and grandpa because I believe a woman makes the best dad and grandpa. :)  I hope you enjoy Susan's, please join in the discussions and start your own.

beth
  •  

Dennis

Wow, quite the story, Karen. Glad to have you here. And I second Beth's comment that your kids and soon to be grandkid are lucky to have you.

Dennis
  •  

Jillieann Rose

Hi Karen,
Glad to meet you. Wow what a story.
I to am a father and a grandfather of 4 and won't trade it for the world.
My TG is my wife and my secret. I will remain a male outwardly even though I'm a female inside. My reason are like yours. I am not my own. I have people who need me.
So I call myself a CD plus.
Again welcome Karen.
:)
Jillieann
  •  

Kate Thomas

Hi Karen
welcome to susans!
I am happy that you are willing to re-write the rules to sute your needs.
helps to level the playing field.

Kate
"But who is that on the other side of you?"
T.S. Eliot
  •  

Peggiann

HI Karen,

I wanted you to know I was deeply touch by your post. Your story is so inspiring to reach success in both worlds. I find it so awakening to realize how our children are very much their own individual being with thoughts and feelings each very much belonging exclusively to them, as your children have shown this to be true even being raised in the same home by the same parents yet 3 sets of takes on these issues shared with them.

I do hope you find a way to be able to continue with your feminine self too. Your Ultimate Love for your children is what many face here At Susan's and have to choose for themselves what they can live with and face the person looking back at them in the morror. I have not read where very many have shared this "I felt that when I participated in their conception, I had made a deal with each of my children to be their dad, not their aunt or second mother." I'm not saying they didn't or don't feel it...Just not seen it shared in this way.

You do not mention a spouse. I was wondering can you not continue to live your Karen side at home and while you continue live evryday life and be away from the family with her...Say out of town and in privacy of your own place? That "As a mother, in my mind" Is probably very instumental in helping you be as close to your family as you are. She is needed for this nurturing side of you toward them.

"That is where the inner angst comes from now."

You are in my prayers for a resolve to your frustrations with a peacefullness for you that meets your need emotionally too.

Smiles and Thanks for sharing.

Peggiann
  •  

titaniumowl

Thank you for your welcomes and kind comments. I was divorced in 1995. The gender program in which I was a client, in Milwaukee, required either separation or divorce be in place before hormones would be prescribed unless the spouse signed an agreement. The result of using spironolactone (SP?) and estrogen in a male causes ED and a spouse could sue for loss of physical intimacy.

Yes, I do dress up at home sometimes. It is not the same, of course. After transition, there had been that wonderful freedom from being in that awful between state. The changing back and forth was/would be madness.

I am also back to the horrible body hair too. I am going to see about a mild dose of spironolactone and some estrogen to get rid of the hair and help me feel better. I also need to convince the prosthetic folks of my need for feminine looking artificial legs and feet with ankles that can be adjusted for different height heels. 2" is the maximum. Any more than 2" and I'd have to stay in my chair anyway to avoid killing myself  ::).

There is a gender center in Seattle. Perhaps I can do a cross-dresser's night out on occasion.

Again, thanks for the welcome.

Karen
  •  

jan c

your courage and ethos is extremely moving. Wow. I can't even imagine... My heart is out to you.
  •