Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

US Passport Applications Denied/ Delayed?

Started by Rose City Rose, July 14, 2018, 03:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyaW

Quote from: jill610 on July 28, 2018, 04:07:20 AM
I have a hard time drawing conclusions from an isolated event. Are there more examples? If her passport was issued with a gender different than what is in her birth certificate and the criteria for issuing that passport at the time it was issued was not met, then it was correctly withdrawn. Frustrating yes but not sure why that's being construed as a systematic policy against trans women. Many of us have had our first application rejected because the paperwork was not exactly correct, and issued without problem once corrected.

I successfully changed my passport and my global entry within the last three months.
Right,

If we don't know why they suddenly figured out that they screwed up by issuing the passport, there is no way to say its because she's trans. 

I've read of a few other cases.  From what I recall there were issues with the doctor letters not being just exactly perfect and they were not ones that had previously been approved.  One might argue that those requirements are anti trans by being so rigid because who else would they apply to? Doesn't do any good to argue, they aren't going to make an exception.  They own the hoops and want you to jump through them in perfect order, so that's what you do if you want a passport.

Not panicking Cindy, I used the wrong form. It's not obvious that you would essentially need to get a totally new passport in order to change the gender, especially when you only do a regular renewal for the name change.  Had I run across this thread two days before I did I would have potentially done it right the first time.  Other than the time I spent filling out the wrong form, it's not costing me any more than if I did it right the first time.  I don't have any travel plans so it's not that big of a deal to me.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

•  

TonyaW

One thing I did notice when filling out the correct form when I re-did it was that if you use the form filler on the state Department web site, it will fill in the wrong form if you tell it you already have a passport.  It only asks if your name is different, not your gender. 

To get it to fill in the right form I had to tell the form filler that I was applying for a new passport and then manually fill in the current passport info on the form.

•  

jill610

Quote from: TonyaW on August 06, 2018, 07:21:58 AM
One thing I did notice when filling out the correct form when I re-did it was that if you use the form filler on the state Department web site, it will fill in the wrong form if you tell it you already have a passport.  It only asks if your name is different, not your gender. 

To get it to fill in the right form I had to tell the form filler that I was applying for a new passport and then manually fill in the current passport info on the form.

Yes, I had the same problem as well. I suspect this is why they send a copy of the correct form in the rejection. However they do allow you to use your old passport as the proof of citizenship. I complained about this when I talked them but you know it falls on deaf ears.

•  

TonyaW

My passport came in the mail today. So it took about 4 weeks even with having to resubmit the correct form and less than 2 weeks from that.

If I win the lottery I could actually go somewhere now.

•  

Kendra

Tonya that's awesome!  Congratulations.   

Receiving my new passport was much more significant than I expected - I bet you feel the same way now. 
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

TonyaW

It was very nice to see the new passport with all the right entries in all the right places.  Definitely helped lift me out of the dark places my head had been.

No trips planned but that was the last big thing that needed name change and one of the few that cares about the gender marker.

•  

Devlyn

I submitted mine with a mismatch between my name and gender on my birth certificate  and my name and gender on my ID, on the weekend the government was shut down, and my passport came in the mail three weeks later. My ID documents came back a week after that.
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: TonyaW on August 14, 2018, 12:37:37 PM
It was very nice to see the new passport with all the right entries in all the right places.  Definitely helped lift me out of the dark places my head had been.

No trips planned but that was the last big thing that needed name change and one of the few that cares about the gender marker.

@TonyaW
Yes indeed, they finally got it right!!!   ... true to the old saying, good things take time.

I am happy for you, now you are free to some travel plans if you wish, but even if you don't leave North America, you should have your passport with you during any travel, even withing the USA borders.

Hugs,
Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

TonyaW

Was me that finally got it right.  I received it  in less than two weeks from resubmitting on the correct form, and only about 4 weeks in total. 

•  

FollowTheFellow

I applied for my revised passport a few weeks after that awful leaked memo, and I did get my new passport with correct gender marker just about a month later, with no issues whatsoever. I was pleasantly surprised.

My doctor was sure to use the "transition completed" language to make sure that I didn't have to apply for a new one in the middle of the next election season.
  •  

Colleen_definitely

My updated one just arrived today!

Amazingly it took only 15 days and I did not request expedited service.  Not that I'm complaining.

Name and sex marker updated as requested.
As our ashes turn to dust, we shine like stars...
  •