Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

air fryers

Started by davina61, April 28, 2024, 09:03:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davina61

So who has an air fryer and how do you use it? Do you have a recipe book? Just tried a quiche recipe from mine, came out okay but the silicon dish I have was tight in the basket and stopped the air flow so it took ages to set . Tipped it out upside down and managed to get it in the basket with no dish, pastry was still raw on bottom but 15mins and it was cooked. Tastes fine, had a big slice for lunch.
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017
GRS 2021 5th Nov

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever
  •  

Maid Marion

Mostly for cooking drumsticks and chicken thighs.  The oil accumulates and it takes a while to clean but the chicken tastes great if I marinade it overnight.

Reheating Chinese pork I buy at the Asian Market.

•  

BlueJaye

Yes, I have one. I cook a variety of things with it.
  •  

Devlyn

I got one at 80% off during my final few days at Wilko's. We didn't want one, but couldn't pass up the price. They're OK for small batches of little things, but most UK kitchens just don't have the counter space for one.
  •  

coral

Our air fryer is my go to cooking appliance.  I use it for nearly at least part of every meal.  Cook lots of frozen entries.  Have found it is helpful to put an item in microwave for about half recommended time, then finish with half air fryer time in the air fryer.  Cuts cooking time while producing a better finish over microwave only.

Coral 
  •  

Maid Marion

All I cook these days is small batches of little things!
The practice helps me improve my cooking.

Last time I pan fried shrimp I added some Japanese red pepper and liked it a lot.
  •  

imallie

I'd say we use ours 4-5 times per week, at minimum.

It's excellent for some vegetables (asparagus, green beans, Brussels sprouts, e.g.) while others such as broccoli and cauliflower do better, I believe, roasting in the oven.

It shines with potatoes- regular and sweet. We've done fries, we've done cubed... you can really get crispy with a bit of extra effort.

Chicken wings are excellent, as are chicken tenders / fish in a crisp coating.

I've used it often to make roasted chickpeas as well. So easy and versatile.

Oh and all manners of wraps, quesadillas, etc of course. Big fan of Mission Protein wraps.

•  

sandrauk

Regularly use mine, it does take some experimentation. As you say, cooking quicker on top is one problem, I'm thinking of trying to find a rack to raise up the item, so air gets underneath.

Temperature needs to be much lower than the recipe, at least 20C.

I've given up on fries and chips- too uneven- and much easier in the chip pan.

I like the mini part-cooked baguettes and Greggs stuff from Iceland but even that you need to turn over after half the cooking time.

Cook a 9" pizza once a week by squaring it off before cooking. Settle for the base not cooking well.

•