Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

My name?

Started by Serenity84, July 31, 2018, 10:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serenity84

I really really like the name I have chosen for myself, Serenity. I say its been around 5 months since I've told my parents and they're having a really hard time using that name and refer to me using my old name. I know it will take some time for them to get used to but I asked them about it today. My dad asked me if I would consider choosing another name as Serenity is not really a name. I told him that's the name I've chosen and I would not use a more feminine version of my old name. I just want to know is; did any of you go thru this same situation?
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Well I like your name also.  It exudes peacefulness. 

I see your parent's point.  I have never met anyone named Serenity.  But there are probably some with that name.

Serena is an often used name that relates to tranquility or serenity.  Serena may have a number of spelling variants.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Sonja

@Serenity84

Its every parents joy to name their child, if your dad is coming to terms with your transition in a positive way, then I would encourage you to allow him ( or both your parents ) the opportunity to select a name for you - perhaps you can create a list of names you like - and they can choose from that.

Perhaps at least give some serious consideration to names your parents like, even if you don't end up choosing one of them.  Let them be part of your new world.

edit : One of my best friends growing up was called Serena.

Sonja.
  •  

Ryuichi13

I take the opposite view of Sonja

Its your name, you will be the one that has to live with it.  It'll be the name you put on all of your legal paperwork, the name that's on your ID and the name that will go on your medical records.  If you want to be named Serenity, then that's your choice. 

However, if you don't have a problem with your family giving you a nickname like Serena, then again, that's your choice.

And for the record, I used to know someone named Serenity when I was a kid.

From someone that also has an unusual name,
Ryuichi

•  

ErinAscending

I knew a family when in high school who had four daughters...  Named them Autumn, Spring, Winter, and Summer. 

I think Serenity sounds nice!  Standard conventions aren't a necessity IMHO.  <3  Only you know what's right for you if you're naming the "who" in who you really are.
Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. - Oscar Wilde
  •  

Serenity84

Thank you all for the replies. I just need to give them more time. Like my therapist tells me, "Being transgender; you really have to be very patient because everything takes time."
  •  

DustKitten

I have a cousin named Serenity. I think it's a lovely name, you should go with whatever feels right to you. I imagine my parents would explode if I told them my name, because we haven't spoken much in years (we aren't in contact anymore), and they don't know I'm trans.
  •  

Tamika Olivia

My parents loathed my name. One if the conditions they tried to set on my transition was abandoning the name Tamkia for something they preferred. I didn't agree to that, or any of their conditions. They adjusted in the end.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

•