Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Just found out you can change your gender without SRS depending on state...

Started by Lexi Nexi, July 30, 2018, 08:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lexi Nexi

You were born in. Such as Idaho california and MD. Strange that the state you live in doesn't have a say. You can change it just with a doctors letter and don't need SRS even just going to therapy counts.  Thats great in most ways but if you can just change your gender because you "feel like it" then whats the point of having a gender? I kind of like the idea that I have to earn the F onmy drivers lic.
  •  

LexieDragon

Quote from: Lexi Nexi on July 30, 2018, 08:30:24 PM
You were born in. Such as Idaho california and MD. Strange that the state you live in doesn't have a say. You can change it just with a doctors letter and don't need SRS even just going to therapy counts.  Thats great in most ways but if you can just change your gender because you "feel like it" then whats the point of having a gender? I kind of like the idea that I have to earn the F onmy drivers lic.

Do you have a list of states like that? Im sure inquiring minds are dying to know.

And most people would not just change their gender cause they "feel like it".. Plus I'm certain that it is still a process, just does not require a 3rd party involved.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alexandra teh gr8

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Some clever text here]
  •  

krobinson103

You can do that in New Zealand. Just requires evidence of medical transition (HRT) and a signed statement witnessed by a lawyer. With that you can change your DL and Passport then use those to change other records. Birth Cert requires a more complicated process but no SRS. You certainly wouldn't do just cause you 'feel' like it though.
Every day is a totally awesome day
Every day provides opportunities and challenges
Every challenge leads to an opportunity
Every fear faced leads to one more strength
Every strength leads to greater success
Success leads to self esteem
Self Esteem leads to happiness.
Cherish every day.
  •  

Gertrude

Maybe on a drivers license, but birth certificate is something very different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  •  

salaniaseviltwin

In Illinois you only have to prove that you are in transition. No surgery is necessary any longer. The bill was just signed last November I believe. It's a big relief to those that can not afford surgical transition. This applies to all documents,  not just licenses.

Several states are allowing "X" as accepted gender markers on documents.

https://www.newsweek.com/gender-x-new-identity-states-washington-vermont-775221

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
"Perception is reality. If you are perceived to be something, you might as well be it because that's the truth in people's minds."   -Steve Young

•  

Maid Marion

https://transequality.org/about

According to this organization, nine states still require SRS.  It is unclear in another five states.  Which means that you don't need it it in 36 states.

https://transequality.org/documents/
look up what your state requires
you want to do the changes in a particular order
  •  

Arianna Valentine

Well again the getting your gender changed and any state yes it is possible but a lot of them have a lot of Hoops that you have to jump through so they really make you work at it and those are the more fulfilling ones in my opinion

Sent from my SM-S337TL using Tapatalk
If you can't accept yourself,  how can you expect others to accept you?

curious about me:  https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,218617.new.html#new
  •  

pamelatransuk

Hello Lexi Nexi

Here in the UK there is at present a Government Consultation with Interested Stakeholders and the general public taking place now until October which is considering liberalizing your choice/selection of gender which I fully support (although I know it has significant opposition from the transphobes).

Of course we would not be choosing or selecting anyway - we would be correcting the original misconception of our gender determined at birth due to lack of evidence. Sadly gender is assumed at birth based on genitalia (there is occasionally doubt, I know) but gender as we know depends not on genitalia but on the femininity or masculinity of the brain.

I hope US states eventually make it 50 states out of 50 for this policy. Good luck to you.

Hugs

Pamela 

•  

KathyLauren

Quote from: Lexi Nexi on July 30, 2018, 08:30:24 PMif you can just change your gender because you "feel like it" then whats the point of having a gender? I kind of like the idea that I have to earn the F onmy drivers lic.
Just yesterday, I read about a guy in Alberta who changed the gender on his birth certificate in order to get a lower rate on his car insurance.  He lied to a doctor, who didn't bother to check him out, in order to get a letter.  Frustrating as it is to jump through hoops, I don't think it should be too easy to change one's gender.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Arianna Valentine

Quote from: KathyLauren on July 31, 2018, 06:38:17 AM
Just yesterday, I read about a guy in Alberta who changed the gender on his birth certificate in order to get a lower rate on his car insurance.  He lied to a doctor, who didn't bother to check him out, in order to get a letter.  Frustrating as it is to jump through hoops, I don't think it should be too easy to change one's gender.
I completely agree if you are aloud to do change your gender that easily then so many other people are going to do it for some stupid selfish reason and leave all of us who are truly transgender in hot water because people are going to think we only want to change it before saving money or something stupid then eventually they're just going to ban people from changing your gender at all

Sent from my SM-S337TL using Tapatalk

If you can't accept yourself,  how can you expect others to accept you?

curious about me:  https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,218617.new.html#new
  •  

StacyRenee

Maid Marion, I don't recall if it was at Transequality that I discovered this information or elsewhere.

I am one of those lucky few. New Mexico allows for gender marker changes with just a MVD form filled out and signed by a therapist. I had this done when I filed for a legal name change and changed both on my license at the same time.

I was born in New York which allows for birth certificate corrections. That required legal name change, notarized affidavit that I declare I'm transgender, a form petitioning NYSHHS for gender marker change, and a letter from a medical professional stating that I have underwent "appropriate medical treatment" (hormones or surgical procedures qualify). I had been on HRT for six months at the time.

I'm trying to remember the numbers that I've seen. I think it's 5 states that birth certificates cannot be changed, 29 states require surgery, and 16 require "appropriate medical treatment".
  •  

TonyaW

Quote from: KathyLauren on July 31, 2018, 06:38:17 AM

That's on the doctor.  No way they should be writing a letter with out a true doctor patient relationship. 

My auto insurance went down maybe $3 a month after my name and gender change on drivers license. 

Wisconsin is one of the states that won't change your birth certificate without surgery.  Drivers license they do as long as you change it with social security.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

•  

jesse135

Personally, I would not like to have to wait and pay and wait and have surgery to feel like myself after puberty when other men were born men. It is interesting to see who sticks with you through it in the end, though. Those are trooper friends, for sure, so you really gain the ability to know who is real.

Does anyone else see that as a bonus?

I mean, one has stuck around for me, and that's it. But still. It's interesting to know who's fake (nearly everybody??)
  •  

DustKitten

I was born in Tennessee :P as far as I can tell, I can't change my gender on my birth certificate at all. I may not be able to change my name on it, either, but I don't think it matters for things like a driver's license, it just means I can't update all my IDs. Hopefully I'll never have to use it for anything post-transition.
  •  

Lucca

I'm all for not requiring SRS, not every trans person intends to get it, and it shouldn't matter. As for how easy it should be besides that, I'm not really sure... I realize that making it effortless can cause people to use it for personal advantage rather than a genuine gender transition, but then, I think most of the ways that society makes things easier for one gender over another are pretty bogus and should be phased out, anyway. When I first started driving I cost my parents more in insurance than a cis-girl my age would have even though I was a very careful and safe driver, I never thought that was fair.
  •  

I Am Jess

Most states, and the federal government, do not require GRS or any surgical procedure to change your gender marker on your identification.  Most all require a declaration from a physician indicating that you are undergoing appropriate clinical treatment for gender transition.  For example, in California you must have a physician sign off on an official DMV form and sign under penalty of perjury.  The physician must certify if your gender identification "complete" or "transitional."   A "transitional" certification means that your marker is changed for a maximum of 5 years or until you submit a "complete" certification.  It doesn't mater if you have a court ordered gender change, the DMV requires their form and an original doctors signature.  The State Department has specific wording that must be used by the doctor in seeking a 10 year passport with your corrected gender.

Some states require that your gender be changed through surgical procedure to change your birth certificate.  Some states only require appropriate clinical treatment.  Some states will not change a birth certificate at all.  For example Colorado requires gender change through surgical procedure.  I was able to change my Colorado birth certificate prior to my getting GCS.  I had a California court order changing my name and gender.  I applied to Colorado to change mine and included a declaration from my doctor who had done my FFS and breast augmentation.  The declaration  stated that he had preformed multiple surgical procedures on me as part of my transition from male to female.  There is no definition in most state statutes as to what constitutes a surgical procedure.   
Follow my life's adventures on Instagram - @jessieleeannmcgrath
  •  

Devlyn

"Just found out you can change your gender without SRS depending on state you were born in."

Thank Christ. That's how it should be. YOU know your gender, not someone else.
  •