Main Menu

BiGender and the Brain

Started by Shana A, June 18, 2008, 11:57:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shana A

BiGender and the Brain
Zoe Brain

http://aebrain.blogspot.com/2008/06/bigender-and-brain.html

Gender-Typical Behaviour Patterns, Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity are set in Neurology.

Cross-Gendered (CG) Sexual Orientation is an unsubtle effect, and often associated with cross-gendered behaviour patterns in young children. It appears to be set by pre-natal hormone influences.

CG Gender Identity is also set by pre-natal influences. The effects appear later, and the tell-tale neurology appears after Gender Identity is formed. But the pattern that dictates the later neurological development is just as pre-ordained. It is a more subtle effect that sexual orientation, and many people are essentially Bi-Gendered, and would be able to function in either a male or female role, as circumstances dictate. Relatively few are strongly gendered, but for those that are, it's unchangeable. Just as CG sexual orientation is strongly correlated with CG behaviour in children, CG gender identity is universally(?) associated with CG patterns of thought in children.
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•  

Zoe_Kay

Yes, that sounds about right! :)
"To grow, you must be willing to let your present and future be totally unlike your past. Your history is not your destiny." ~ Alan Cohen
  •  

Virginia

Quote from: Shana A on June 18, 2008, 11:57:37 AM
BiGender and the Brain
Zoe Brain

http://aebrain.blogspot.com/2008/06/bigender-and-brain.html
many people are essentially Bi-Gendered, and would be able to function in either a male or female role, as circumstances dictate. Relatively few are strongly gendered, but for those that are, it's unchangeable.

There were several studies done about Bigendersim in the early 2010's, mostly as a  result of the efforts of the members of Bigender.net. There were a handful of us who were Multiple or who had Dissociative Identity/Multiple Personality Disorder, but the majority were "Singlets," people with one identity who express themselves as male OR female, rather than a simultaneous blend.

I was a founding member and long time moderator of the forum. Watching people come and go, it became clear the Bigender identity was an unstable condition for the Singlets. It was a stop along the way to their transition to another gender rather than the home it was for those of us with dissociative disorders. Unless a person is dissociative, the human mind doesn't seem to be able to maintain the level of effort required to keep up this kind of compartmentalization.

The world is full of strongly gendered men and women who revel in who they are. Our couple's psychologist explaining gender variance is fairly common, but for most people, peace comes from finding a way to do that in their birth gender. It seems transgendered individuals are unlucky few who are not only strong gendered, but who also do not have the body they strongly identify with...

~VA (pronounced Vee- Aye, the abbreviation for the State of Virginia where I live)
  •  

Zoe_Kay

I'm trying to remember where I saw the study that indicated that some people who later have transition regrets were essentially bigender but felt they had to fully transition in order to fit into society's expectations.  Its a sad sign of how strong the gender binary is in our society. :(
"To grow, you must be willing to let your present and future be totally unlike your past. Your history is not your destiny." ~ Alan Cohen
  •  

Tara P

Very interesting point about people with dissociative identity disorder being able to compartmentalize that stuff better.  It makes a lot of sense since people with that disorder are constantly compartmentalizing.  And yeah even though society is gradually becoming more accepting and understanding of transgender issues there is still a long way to go and most mainstream coverage is still about binary transitions.  Which is great of course but also leaves out a lot of people.
  •  

KathyLauren

Interesting that the study say that sexual orientation is a related neurology to gender identity.  I wondered if that might be the case.  Among my siblings, there is one gay male and one trans female, both probably influenced by DES.  This study would corroborate that guess.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

GingerVicki

Fertility drugs are infamous for causing these differences. I have an older brother who was born in '68 that is obviously trans, but lives as male and then there is me born in '78. I'm transitioning myself. No regrets.
  •  

Angelic

I can function in the male role...as a soldier.
youtube.com/watch?v=Y0SwylZWHEU

In terms of experiencing love or satisfaction...my male love life is nonexistent: an atrocity.

And even my cardiovascular abilities leave something to be desired...

Still, certain cross-gender tendencies remain...
Intolerables, everywhere...cannot escape them.
  •