Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Masculine Spaces for Trans Men?

Started by Berserk, August 09, 2018, 06:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berserk

Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for finding spaces on or offline that are more specifically geared towards trans men who identify as masculine? Feeling like I need more friendships/sense of community with people I have more in common with lately and places to vent without judgement.
  •  

Ryuichi13

Honestly, you could start one here!  I don't see why you can't have this thread as a place for us men to hang out.

Was there anything specific you wanted to talk about?  I'm game for almost anything!  :)

Ryuichi

•  

randall83

Good idea, Ryuichi13! Hi Berserk, nice to meet you. I'm Randall.
  •  

AquaWhatever

I feel you bro.. we don't have many spaces anymore.
But yeah I def think we should start one here.
Couldn't hurt! Feel free to message me if you need to vent

I'm Dylan btw :)
  •  

The Flying Lemur

If you're in the Detroit area, I know a couple of offline groups for trans guys. 

What kinds of things are you interested in talking about?
The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are. --Joseph Campbell
  •  

Ryuichi13

What should we talk about?  What exactly is "masculine space?" 

Ryuichi

•  

Ryuichi13

Quote from: Sharky on August 16, 2018, 06:20:57 PM
There is a sub >-bleeped-< /r/FTMmen

https://www.>-bleeped-<.com/r/FTMMen/

I think that the FTM section here on Susan's Place is already masculine space, but it doesn't hurt to have a thread where we just talk about Life, and everything.  :)

Ryuichi

•  

Arch

Does your area have an LGBTQ center?
"The hammer is my penis." --Captain Hammer

"When all you have is a hammer . . ." --Anonymous carpenter
  •  

popdewd

•  

jesse135

The gym? It's all I know of. Bar if you drink or smoke. Maybe hiking trails or bicycling. Computers, just the coffee shop being online. I don't know. I think of men I think of families. Or actors. I try not to group men and women separately... yeah it's hard being trans  ::)

I have the same question as you lol..
  •  

jesse135

Maybe you could start a groupme? I would join.
  •  

Ryuichi13

Quote from: jesse135 on August 30, 2018, 06:06:44 PM
Maybe you could start a groupme? I would join.

Honestly, I don't know what that is.  If you start one, I'll join it!

Ryuichi

•  

Magnus

There had been a really good site like that, called it the "men's room" several years back. Fell apart when the webmaster decided to try and fix what wasn't in the least broken, radically changed it up, made it pay-only, and that was that very shortly after. Seems to be a trend with all manner of sites lately. Can't seem to find any like it (few rules, no judgement, no popularity BS, no warning/infraction for civil disagreement of opinion etc. was really great, just what I'd been looking for). Oh, sites similar may exist, but good luck finding them... I sure can't seem to. If they exist, they're "underground", so to speak. I can't remember, but I think this one was sort of like that too... couldn't search for it and easily find it. If I recall right, it was less than 3 months from going pay-only that it went down completely.

Tried the only local LGBTQ (PFLAG), but to my great disappointment I found its more a communal mock-up therapy session. No socializing/hanging out... just two grueling hours of airing rants and feelings, railing politics, and that sort of thing (and, curiously, no help for information about legal things like changing name/gender, employer discrimination, etc. etc.)... wasn't at all what I was hoping to find. Gave it four tries, didn't stick around. I mean, really, if it was therapy I were after I'd just get a shrink. I mean, I get it - really I get it, but being all about that all the time really put me off. YMMV.

Unfortunately, it does rather appear we're... on our own, for this sort of thing. You get lucky and run across something or you don't and that's that. Been looking for the same thing for years and haven't found it (again) yet. And, by now, I really don't expect to. :-\

•  

Ryuichi13

To be honest, between therapy, this forum and the local support and discussion groups I belong to, I'm doing pretty good. 

I don't mind discussing things that pertain to us men here on Susan's Place, so Magnus, if you want to discuss anything, feel free to start, and I'll jump in with my two cents. 

But I"m warning you right off the bat, I'm pretty opinionated! ;)

Ryuichi

•  

Leek

These places do exist, both in person and on sites like Facebook, but they are often secretive, especially if the men in the group are stealth or have been transitioning for many years. You kind of have to know a guy who knows a guy, etc.

So I suggest going to in-person meetups of trans guys at your local LGBT center. If you go enough and make enough connections, you will eventually get "tapped on the shoulder" by someone who is in one of these groups, and you'll find yourself getting invited into it. Once you're in one, it's easier to join other groups as well.
  •  

MeTony

If you start a fb group, let me know.

All groups I'm in are mixed binary, nb and so.

Tony
  •  

smithers 70

Yes, start ome here!

Sent from my LM-X210VPP using Tapatalk

•  

Ryuichi13

Well, I suppose that this thread could be considered transman space. [emoji2]

So what do you guys want to talk about?  I'm interested!

Ryuichi

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

•