Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Combining laser and electrolysis

Started by randim, August 21, 2018, 08:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

randim

This question has probably been asked many times, but the answer isn't immediately obvious.  Can laser and electrolyis be combined to speed up the process of removing a beard? I know laser won't remove all hair, but is the hair it does remove gone for good (after multiple treatments of course)?  If so, it seems like it would make sense to do laser and then start electrolysis on the hairs left behind. Is that reasonable?
  •  

Dena

A few people have reported doing it. The electrolysis operator should target gray and white hair that will need treatment anyway an let laser have another try at removing the darker hair. You will need to allow enough time for your skin to heal  before switching removal systems as laser might be absorbed by scabs from electrolysis and burning from laser should heal before resuming electrolysis.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

sarah1972

There are several different opinions on how permanent laser hair removal really is.

Based on my experience: Laser took easily care of all my dark beard in only 6 sessions. What was left is white and very light grey hair. I have started electrolysis for those. It has been several months, and I don't think any of the black hair has come back.

So, yes, I have combined laser and electrolysis. It has worked pretty well for me. But I have also been somewhat lucky and never had a ton of hairs.

Many I know have done a combination of laser and electrolysis.

•  

Harley Quinn

Yes, you can combine them.  I am currently doing so, and it works just fine.  You just have to ensure that the laser tech and electrologist both know when you're being treated so that they don't overwork your skin.  I did 6 Laser sessions and then began adding in electrolysis.  6 laser sessions wasn't enough to kill my beard... it is stubborn.  I believe I'm on 8 and have my 9th coming up shortly.  I am seeing a couple different electrologists currently (due to having GRS this fall, and limited availability) and continuing on with laser at the same time; the clearing is going quite fast. 

The electrologists all said that they would recommend doing laser in conjunction with electrolysis because it will get your face cleared faster so you can get on with your life.  They went on to say that, anything that "may" grow back from Laser will be very little and can be touched up as the baby fine hairs grow back years down the line (if at all).  Although the greys aren't really affected by laser, they may still be slightly damaged due to some off color pigment remaining at the root and be that much easier for them to treat with electrolysis.  I am told that having the hairs already slightly damaged by laser makes it easier for the sheath and the root to release cleanly during electrolysis.
At what point did my life go Looney Tunes? How did it happen? Who's to blame?... Batman, that's who. Batman! It's always been Batman! Ruining my life, spoiling my fun! >:-)
  •  

LaserGirl

I second what Harley said.  Do both.  My electrolysis girl loves that I get laser.
  •  

GordonG

I've just started "laser" for my face. I did a consultation visit and she described what laser was like etc etc. When I went back for the actual service appointment, a different gal was doing it and was talking up a storm. She indicated that she really likes this new IPL machine and that it works so much better than the laser they used to have.  I go "What?. This isn't a laser?" She said no, that it is so much better.

Well, I'm thinking that I got the old bait and switch routine. We finished the appointment and I made another one for 3 weeks later. I went home and did a bunch of online research, but couldn't find anything definite about what is better, laser or IPL.

I thought I'd throw this out to anyone who has any opinion on the matter. Do I find somewhere else to go, or go back? BTW, I have seen some reduction. So it obviously is doing something.

And the price, they charge $182 per session. Is this good, bad, reasonable?
I'm a gender confused guy who lives an hour north of Seattle.
I believe that I was influenced by DES. I have crossdressed in public a handful of times, see avatar picture (enhanced with FaceApp).
I don't plan on transitioning, no GRS, FFS, nor BA.
I consider myself TransFeminine. But reserve the right to change my mind at any time.  ;D

Spironolactone; 7-16-2018
E sublinguals; 10-5-2018
Orchi; 2-15-19
No more Spiro. 

•  

Kendra

I found IPL less effective than laser, and hurt more than laser. 

The best laser equipment I experienced had a liquid cooling system to reduce pain (I think it was nitrogen).   
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

LaserGirl

Get your laser package on Groupon.  When you go in upgrade to extra areas at the Groupon price.  They will wheel and deal on this first visit as Groupon makes them little money and it's more of an advertising thing.

IPL is more suited for removing dark spots on the skin as far as I know.
  •  

nancy_james

From my experience, the laser is permanent hair removal but can cause redness and swelling if you have sensitive skin like me.

Yet to try electrolysis to get rid of the smaller hairs
  •  

LizK

I had Laser treatment and IPL...I got the bait and switch routine...I noticed a lot more regrowth with IPL compared to proper laser which worked for me, it was this that alerted me to the fact something had changed. Any time you can save from having a needle inserted into your face and heated to the point of liquifying the cells is time well saved in my book. I had about 60% black and 40% grey hair. Proper laser took care of over 50% of my facial hair and the rest has been done via electrolysis...with a little bit still left... sigh!

I have a home IPL machine and it does a fair job on keeping underarm hair etc under control. It doesn't kill and the hair will come back if you stop but whilst you keep it up it will reduce the amount of hair.

I would get both at the same time telling your electrologist to concentrate on the hair the laser can't deal with(grey hair)

Liz
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Kirsteneklund7

Quote from: Kendra on August 29, 2018, 07:36:36 PM
I found IPL less effective than laser, and hurt more than laser. 

The best laser equipment I experienced had a liquid cooling system to reduce pain (I think it was nitrogen).
Hi Kendra & hair removal friends,
                  I have been using these methods as well. Started with laser with cryogen cooling for less pain - worked well for 6 sessions so far (expensive). Used electrolysis between sessions for blonde and grey hairs - slow but effective.Trauma from laser or  electrolysis healed before next session started.

IPL trialled and seemed to work ( 2 sessions) - doesn't seem to have the same penetration as laser - cheap on price.

Combination of laser and electrolysis most effective.
                Kind regards, Kirsten[emoji126]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

As a child prayed to be a girl- now the prayer is being answered - 40 years later !
  •  

Katie

After six or seven sessions of laser my beard hair was gone forever. What was left was the gotee area which I years later brought an electrolysis machine and took many hours to finish it off.........
  •  

CAB78

Based on your photo try to find somewhere using a Soprano ICE laser, do that for a number of session and then switch. 8 laser sessions worked for me and I got a deal on groupon. I found that most hair was destroyed but some came back finer and blonde, no 5 oclock shadow but nice to get rid of them too with electrolysis.
  •  

Virginia

Quote from: randim on August 21, 2018, 08:43:56 PM
I know laser won't remove all hair, but is the hair it does remove gone for good (after multiple treatments of course)?

Results vary for different types of hair, locations on the body and lasers, but electrolysis is still the only FDA approved method of permanent hair removal. The US Agency prohibits practitioners and manufacturers of the equipment from stating it is permanent, because it is not.
~VA (pronounced Vee- Aye, the abbreviation for the State of Virginia where I live)
  •  

NCmuse

I have done a mix of laser and electrolysis. I have the same tech for both, I did probably 4 laser then started electrolysis on the grey hairs. The laser fully cleared my neck and seemed to get rid of all the dark hair, however about 8 months later some dark hairs reappeared in the mustache area. I have done probably 15 hours of electrolysis .  A month ago I had an electrolysis appointment scheduled on Monday morning and the power went out. So I rescheduled to Wednesday. When I go to electrolysis  I generally don't shave for 3 or 4 days before  an appointment so that she can see the hairs. However the appointment being moved  gave me 7 days of growth and I could see all the hairs I had left and see all the spots which had been cleared. Some days she makes a circle, other times she will make a vertical line down the face and after a week of growth my face had only small clusters of hair remaining with looking totally scraggly. However probably in 10 more appointments those patches will be gone and I should be all clear.
  •