Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

How do YOU handle the cold?

Started by Lady Sarah, September 03, 2018, 04:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Sarah

I heard an interesting story on the news about how thermostats in office buildings are still to brisk temperatures, because most men are comfortable in temperatures in the low to mid seventies. Women whom do not cover up shiver and get goose pimples in that environment.

I wonder how it all stacks up for those whom are transgender. I know my hubby likes the AC set to 60°, if he can get away with it. I set it to 74° so the temperature will be closer to 77° where the bed is. I still cover up. He usually lays on top of the covers.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/
2015/08/04/429005094/women-theres-a-reason-why-youre-shivering-in-the-office

NPR

started HRT: July 13, 1991
orchi: December 23, 1994
trach shave: November, 1998
married: August 16, 2015
Back surgery: October 20, 2016
  •  

Devlyn

I have the AC set on 70° F.

I'm in my element in the winter, summer is very uncomfortable for me.
  •  

Kymmie Lorain

Not that I hate the cold. I Just hate what usually comes with it the white crap. I love sitting in front of the space heater/ floor vent. I don't feel the need for A/C where we live. It rarely gets overly hot in our place.
I do like it a little chilly when I go to bed. then again I wear lingerie to bed and some quite skimpy. OTH My wife will wear flannel pants and long sleeves to bed even on a hot night, under the covers where I would be in a baby doll sleeping on top. ( However I do wind up under the covers by morning)

Kymmie

•  

Sephirah

I adore the cold. I cannot stand even mildly hot temperatures. Anything above about 20 degrees Celsius (68 Fahrenheit) and I start to feel like I'm cooking inside. Summer is hellish for me. With the heat and the sunlight and stuff.

For me, the colder, and darker a place is, the better. I know I'm weird, lol. I wear T shirts through most of the Winter. I rarely put my heating on at all.
Natura nihil frustra facit.
  •  

AnamethatstartswithE

Now that I wear a skirt to work at least 3 days a week, all I can say is that air conditioning is a tool of the patriarchy. I do like it somewhat cool, but my god does it get cold in my office sometimes.
  •  

epvanbeveren

Thank you for posting this.

So Yeah I am not the only one who freezes to dead at work. ;D

I used to be able to stand the cold better then now, much better, I am now 3 years on hrt. I am truly cold when the guys at work have the AC set at 62-65. And shivering at times. How can they stand that cold?

But that's life I guess.
I am a K. MacPhee girl, re-born on October 4 2017 in Raleigh/Durham NC. USA
I was AMAB on May 6 1963 in Dordrecht, the Netherlands.

OUT and proud - 2014
HRT - 2015
Legal - 2016
GRS - 2017

Full Time - 01/01/2015:
first day (01) of new life (01), '15 = opposite of 51 (my age at the time)

•  

Hikari

I don't have any sort of climate control at home and work is a mixture of being outside and in the warehouse which is always cold any time of year, so I wear a hoodie over my uniform most of the other women who work there do this too. Even if I forget my hoodie I still have my motorcycle jacket as my only transportation is to ride to work. This also means that I don't wear skirts or dresses without leggings underneath since I would be giving everyone a show if I did and I find he leggings really help against the cold.
私は女の子 です!My Blog - Hikari's Transition Log http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/board,377.0.html
  •  

LizK

My wife and I hate being cold...we both came from cold climate countries and detest it...ours themostat set to be in the 80's and in the summer when its well over a 100 we don't run the air conditioner either that often...we detest being cold, did I say that LOL  ;D
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

julia-madrid

Oh, I freeze in the office these days!

There is no doubt, in my case at least, that I spent my first winter on HRT shivering constantly.

I guess it's got a little less severe over time, but I keep a cardigan in the office for those days where the aircon is just too cold!

Hugs
J
  •  

Cindy

Anything below 30C - 85F is hot water bottle and jumper weather. My office AC was set at 22C - 72F and I wore a coat and had a fan heater on. I'm like Liz and we live in a hot climate, however the humidity is low so it feels utterly different to 30C and high humidity, that would get unpleasant after a while. HRT made me less tolerant of cold, well my concept of cold :laugh:

I do think that humidity is the big factor rather than the temperature and maybe you do sweat less on estradiol? No idea, just a thought.
  •  

Charlie Nicki

I'm cold all the time. In and out of the office.
Latina :) I speak Spanish, English and a bit of Portuguese.
  •  

Jin

I am most comfortable in the 50-80 range outdoors. What I really do not like about cold is that my fun girly clothes are all summery styles. I work in an office but the AC is fickle so some days I sweat, some I shiver.

As far as sleep, I like it around 60, windows open, and laying naked on top the sheets.
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam.
-- Popeye

A wise person can learn more from fools than a fool can learn from a wise person.
  •  

JanineTheGamer

I hate the cold. I don't know how I work next to grills and fryers and so many sources of heat yet the thermostat is so low im still freezing my ass off.
  •  

confusedfairy

The great thing about women's clothing is that it is always socially acceptable to hide under a cardigan.  Cardigans can make outfits look more tidy, and in my case, are great for hiding the squishiness!  Which makes it surprising that people complain so much about it being cold in offices.  Then again, this is my attitude towards seasons as well- when it's cold you can always add another layer, but in warm weather eventually you're just sitting there naked, sweating, and miserable. 
  •  

GingerVicki

I keep it the air at 72ish myself.
  •  

Lady Sarah

Depending on where you live, it's expected that one would be adapted for that climate. In Texas, I like temperatures between 75° and 95°. Any hotter than 95°, and I won't work outdoors. Any cooler than 75°, and I am covering up.
My husband will wear shorts and a tank top when it's 50° outside, and wonders why I put on a jacket. He is only 2 inches shorter than I am, but also outweighs me by 35 lbs. He has more of his own insulation than I do, and wonders why I don't like the cold as much as he does.
started HRT: July 13, 1991
orchi: December 23, 1994
trach shave: November, 1998
married: August 16, 2015
Back surgery: October 20, 2016
  •  

Sarah1979

Fortunately, in my "office" I'm the only one that gets any input on the climate control :D
  •  

Jessica

My wife and I both need it warm, though she has cold urticaria and breaks out in hives when her skin is exposed to even cool air at times.  I can deal with the cold if I mitigate it by wearing proper clothing.  I have now a less tolerance to cold since starting hrt, not sure if there is a correlation.  I love x-country skiing into the wild woods and creating snow shelters to spend the night in.  If you make your environment to your needs, it's easier to live comfortably.

Hugs and smiles from a California girl

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

Joelene9

I was on HRT for nearly 5 years. No change in my cold tolerance. The thermostat is at 60 F all winter. I've been off for 2 years now but still no change with my cold tolerance.

Joelene
  •  

DawnOday

I have found as I have transitioned I have been moving the thermostat up about 5 degrees. Part of it is because my nipples get sensitive to the cold and I hate it when they throb. I mean perky is one thing.
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•