Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Any tips on how to survive in social settings?

Started by TransTroll, May 30, 2019, 11:56:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TransTroll

Hi everyone. *this is my first foray into the trans community, so bare with me, i'm nervous*

I have had an idea that something was wrong since I was 11, but when I mentioned my feelings to my sister she was very firmly set against it. So I haven't really spoken about this topic for 15 years, but I'm desperate to feel normal.
I haven't started transitioning yet, as I'm not in a place were I can do this, but I know that I both want to and must.

Any way, just some back round. Back to the question:

1) I don't like meeting people, because I don't what them to know as my assigned gender. The fewer people that know me before I transition the better, this has been my mind set. So I don't really have many friends, or social life.

2) I work in a male dominated field, and so I have guys running to help me carry things *I don't need the help btw* or referring to me as the girl, or calling to me with "Hey Ms." instead of "Hey Dude." I try not to let it bother me, but it's almost brought me to tears a few times as it's just a constant reminder of my gender.

3) Also, I want a relationship, but that seems impossible. I've met some good people, but the moment they begin to treat me like a woman, I just can't deal. I've never had sex, even though I want to, because I don't want to be touched like a girl, and I don't think I would enjoy it frankly because I hate my body so much and the parts are just wrong.

If you have any tips or methods to deal with any of this, please let me know. If none of this can really be solved until I transition that's fair. I'm just afraid to wait. If I keep sealing myself off from the world I'm worried that I'll have no life to look forward to and probably die alone which I'd prefer not to do. I'm just tired of being sad and depressed.

Thank you for listening. 
  •  

Jessica

Hi TransTroll!  Welcome to Susan's Place!  I'm Jessica.
It can be terribly hard to be recognized as the gender you prefer when society sees you otherwise.  It takes time and education for those around you to get it.

I see you're new here, so I'll post some links that may help you get better acquainted with the site. Pay attention to the site rules they can be of great help and don't forget the link highlighted red.  It has answers to questions that are commonly asked.  Then join in on a topic you find interesting and learn and share.

Please feel free to stop by the Introductions Forum to tell the members about yourself!

Things that you should read

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

DawnOday

Transtroll. I am way older than you are and I experienced social anxiety for a long, long time. I cut myself off from family and friends, I have been in Seattle for 22 years and did not make any friends until I addressed the underlying problem. I am transgender. Once I acknowledged it, I was able to meet it head on. Social anxiety is a symptom of being on the autistic spectrum. Now that I know it, I can do something about it. It also explains a lot in terms of how I interacted in the past. Last weekend I had the opportunity to make friends as never before and I put the effort into it and now I do feel I have the opportunity to open myself up and be open about my gender  The most important tool in my tool box to address the problem is my Therapist's  They help me by making suggestions on how to cope. I make a conscious effort to listen, try to show concern, show compassion. Also helpful is finding like minded people to form a support group or join one that already exists. I hated being negative all the time but I could not help it because I have a questioning mind.
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

KathyLauren

Hi, TransTroll, and welcome.

Social anxiety and social withdrawal are very common among trans people.  I have felt the same way all my life.  I think the unresolved dysphoria and the effort to suppress it totally mess up our sense of where we fit in society.  So the first thing to do is relax: you are perfectly normal as a trans person!

It would definitely help to talk to someone about this.  I would strongly recommend a gender therapist.  They can perhaps help you to cope in social and workplace settings.  More importantly, they can help get you started with your transition when you decide that it is time to do so.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

krobinson103

I've always had issues with social anxiety. Transitioning made a big difference, as did a supportive girl friend and work colleagues. Sometimes though, it comes down to finding the strength to beat those nasty little voices in your head that create doubt. :) Hard to to especially if you're on the ASD spectrum (which I'm pretty sure I am) but it can be done.

Baby steps...
Every day is a totally awesome day
Every day provides opportunities and challenges
Every challenge leads to an opportunity
Every fear faced leads to one more strength
Every strength leads to greater success
Success leads to self esteem
Self Esteem leads to happiness.
Cherish every day.
  •  

Lexxi

Welcome Transtroll,

I hope you can start to find the help you need here. I'm a 50 year old MTF trans woman. I've found Susan's to be filled with very caring, very informed people who know a whole lot more than I do about trans problems. I've felt very safe here and have even started making some new friends. It's nice to have a place where you can go and just unload your problems, and start asking questions. Heck you can simply hop on here and just say "hi" and you'll get responses to that...it makes a body feel good.

So again, welcome to our little community,

xoxo
Lexxi
Finally started the process of becoming who I really am on the inside! 5/20/19
  •  

Ryuichi13

Quote from: TransTroll on May 30, 2019, 11:56:13 AM
Hi everyone. *this is my first foray into the trans community, so bare with me, i'm nervous*

I have had an idea that something was wrong since I was 11, but when I mentioned my feelings to my sister she was very firmly set against it. So I haven't really spoken about this topic for 15 years, but I'm desperate to feel normal.
I haven't started transitioning yet, as I'm not in a place were I can do this, but I know that I both want to and must.

Any way, just some back round. Back to the question:

1) I don't like meeting people, because I don't what them to know as my assigned gender. The fewer people that know me before I transition the better, this has been my mind set. So I don't really have many friends, or social life.

2) I work in a male dominated field, and so I have guys running to help me carry things *I don't need the help btw* or referring to me as the girl, or calling to me with "Hey Ms." instead of "Hey Dude." I try not to let it bother me, but it's almost brought me to tears a few times as it's just a constant reminder of my gender.

3) Also, I want a relationship, but that seems impossible. I've met some good people, but the moment they begin to treat me like a woman, I just can't deal. I've never had sex, even though I want to, because I don't want to be touched like a girl, and I don't think I would enjoy it frankly because I hate my body so much and the parts are just wrong.

If you have any tips or methods to deal with any of this, please let me know. If none of this can really be solved until I transition that's fair. I'm just afraid to wait. If I keep sealing myself off from the world I'm worried that I'll have no life to look forward to and probably die alone which I'd prefer not to do. I'm just tired of being sad and depressed.

Thank you for listening. 

I just want you to know that many, many of us have been where you are.  Feeling that "I was born the wrong gender," is the first step to admitting that you are transgender.  It is a difficult road, but one that many of us have decided is the best one for the sake of personal happiness.  The next step is up to you.

1.) Do you have health insurance through your job?  If so, use it to find a gender therapist.  They can not only help you figure yourself out, but can also write an official letter for you saying you have gender dysphoria if you decide you need hormones and/or surgery.  Not to mention, its nice to have someone on your side that can help you understand yourself more. 

If you feel comfortable, start dressing the way you want.  If men's jeans, graphic t-shirts and men's tennis shoes are  your thing, then start wearing them.  If polo shirts, combat boots and men's cargo shorts are your thing, start wearing them.  One of the easiest ways to start feeling like your true gender is to start dressing as such.  Thrift stores are a super cheap way to start finding what men's sizes you are.  Simply go to the men's section, find some clothes that look like they may fit, and try them on.  If you like them, buy them.  That way, you're not playing a guessing game with sizes should you shop online.  Remember, a men's sizing chart is vastly different than a woman's. 

Maybe try a more masculine haircut, and if you wear makeup, lessen it or stop completely.  There are many things you can do to look  more masculine.  Changing your appearance gradually will give you time to get used to the authentic you.   

Many people have social anxiety for one reason or another.  Not having a social life is something that often happens to transgender people.  We simply don't want to have to explain transitioning into our true selves to anyone, so we often avoid social situations completely.  Once you start becoming your authentic self, your confidence level should rise, and it should give you the courage to become more social.  Even if its something as simple as joining a local transgender support group, its a start.  If there is a local LGBT+ center near you, go to it and ask for assistance in finding a support group. 

2.) Try this: the next time someone at your job comes running to help you with something that you can handle, simply say, "Thank you, but I got this," or something along those lines.  Pretty soon, they will get the idea that you're strong enough to carry things.  If you do need help, that's when you say, "Mind helping me with this?" 

The misgendering is something that you might want to take up with your HR department once you decide to come out.  Or, you can simply find another job elsewhere.  I dealt with misgendering/misnaming by correcting the person immediately, but not everyone is as forward as I am. 

3.) The best way to get in a relationship is to get out and get social.  Maybe someone in your local transgender support group can point you towards some social events that you can attend.  June is Pride month, it's a good time to get out and attend some events and meet others.     

You don't need to transition to begin working on your problems.  It simply takes you deciding to work towards your goal to become your authentic self.

Welcome to Susan's Place and feel free to ask any questions you need to!  :)

Ryuichi

•  

Rachel

Hi,

You may want to get into community and find friends. I use to go to two different groups. I am still on the edge of community and could reenter if I chose. Anyhow, you do not need to express or be on HRT at most groups. You could check it out. There you will meet a lot of very nice people struggling with the same issues you struggle with.

I think I went to group for 5 years. I volunteered in a lot of events in community and I am on the board for Pride where I work. I use to be such an introvert.

I understand where you are coming from and I have seen people change so much when they become who they are.

HRT  5-28-2013
FT   11-13-2015
FFS   9-16-2016 -Spiegel
GCS 11-15-2016 - McGinn
Hair Grafts 3-20-2017 - Cooley
Voice therapy start 3-2017 - Reene Blaker
Labiaplasty 5-15-2017 - McGinn
BA 7-12-2017 - McGinn
Hair grafts 9-25-2017 Dr.Cooley
Sataloff Cricothyroid subluxation and trachea shave12-11-2017
Dr. McGinn labiaplasty, hood repair, scar removal, graph repair and bottom of  vagina finished. urethra repositioned. 4-4-2018
Dr. Sataloff Glottoplasty 5-14-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal in office procedure 10-22-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal revision 2 4-3-2019 Bottom of vagina closed off, fat injected into the labia and urethra repositioned.
Dr. Thomas in 2020 FEMLAR
  •  

Maid Marion

Men typically wear looser fitting clothes than women.  If I want to look like a guy I'll  wear loose fitting tops, typically size small, while XS would look more feminine.

At work I always get called by my first name.  Never by a pronoun my co-workers.  And that holds true for the hobby activities I've been involved with for decades.  Just an observation.
  •  

CallMeV

I totally understand how you feel as I'm dealing with alot of the same things.
Just like you, I've never had a real relationship or been sexual with anyone. The feeling that another person is viewing me as female triggers my dysphoria so much that I just cant. I really dont know if there is a solution for this one other than transition. Particularly because I live in the deep south, so the lgbt community is very sparse.
  As far as the issues at work and in social settings, I echo those who have said changing your attire and haircut may help. It wont help with the misgendering, but I've noticed if I present as a hard butch men treat me more as 'one of the guys'. I've found this to help with my social anxiety and dysphoria. It's not a perfect solution by any means but it's better than nothing. My hair cut really helped tho it took me a while to find someone who would give me the cut I wanted.
   Good luck and welcome to the forums!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

•  

Maid Marion

It would help if you were to learn a more masculine walking gait and male mannerisms, something that you may be able to do right now.

Typical male clothes will hide your physique/figure.  If you can tell whether you have abs or a thin waist means they are too tightly fitted.

While males have a lower voice, they don't modulate their sentences as much, so there are things that can be done with your voice, even before taking hormones. 

It may help to be more aggressive in social situations.  Don't wait for someone to gender you.  Tell them your name when you meet people.
  •  

TransTroll

To everyone who replied thank you, so so much for all of your ideas and help. I'm going to attempt a response all in one space so bare with me.

Quote from: Maid Marion on May 30, 2019, 07:21:25 PM
Men typically wear looser fitting clothes than women.  If I want to look like a guy I'll  wear loose fitting tops, typically size small, while XS would look more feminine.

I already do this. I wear men's pants, shoes, and shirts. I attempt to wear them as baggy as possible with them still being functional. Annoyingly I was "blessed" with a d-cup setting, so I wear two sport bras to attempt to conceal them. I've been looking into to binders, but I honestly know very little about them, so if anyone has any info on that I'm all ears.

Quote from: CallMeV on May 30, 2019, 07:26:00 PM
Just like you, I've never had a real relationship or been sexual with anyone. The feeling that another person is viewing me as female triggers my dysphoria so much that I just cant.
My hair cut really helped tho it took me a while to find someone who would give me the cut I wanted.
Good luck and welcome to the forums!

Yeah, it's really rough in that aspect, and it's hard not to view ones self as lesser because getting intimate is impossible, it seems. It's nice to be able to reach out to folks who are in the same boat though. That has surprisingly started helping me mentally a bit more. *hugs*
A hair cut is totally my next step! I live on the west coast so hopefully finding a person to give me the right hair cut will be easier. Thanks Dude!

Quote from: Rachel on May 30, 2019, 06:29:07 PM
You may want to get into community and find friends.

I really want to get in touch with a community, just to force myself to be more social with others that won't question, but it really freaks me out. I've heard there is some resistance to people identifying as trans, but not yet transitioning? I can see their points really, and I just don't wanna be a source of drama or something. I don't know if that's fully true or not though.....

Quote from: Ryuichi13 on May 30, 2019, 05:09:13 PM

There was so much helpful information in your reply, that I just really wanted to thank you for taking the time to sit down....or how ever you typed this out......and respond to my questions. Its super helpful, truly.

Quote from: KathyLauren on May 30, 2019, 01:47:43 PM
  I would strongly recommend a gender therapist.  They can perhaps help you to cope in social and workplace settings.  More importantly, they can help get you started with your transition when you decide that it is time to do so.

I saw this mentioned in many of your responses. So I really think that is something that I should look into for sure. I was curious as to how to do it. I have health care, but I'm not sure if will cover therapy. I suppose I should check.

Thank you all so much for taking time out of your day and offering me help. You don't know how much I appreciate it!
  •  

Zefoxe

as mentioned, seeking a therapist should be your primary goal. It will help with all your short term and long term issues that many of us have/currently are facing with as well! Having someone to talk to behind closed doors definitely helps take off the weight of the world on your shoulders :laugh:
  •