Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Feeling depressed after 12 years transition

Started by JungleJulia, September 30, 2018, 06:43:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brenda80

Hi Julia,
Your message struck a chord with me.
I cannot judge you, only you know yourself well.
My own perception- more than often I try to pace ourselves with cis-woman and often there is this inferior complex that hovers around telling me that I cannot be like them, unable to match up to the real woman in terms of the mannerism, yes a big part of my past was missing as a woman. Perhaps living 20odd years as a man and transitioning, the womanhood is not complete and there is a GAP that I need to live with.
How I overcome, I focus on the lifestyle and people around me instead of reminiscing of the past missing chapter of being a female. It cant be help, its life, we just have to accept it. But that missing chapter is not bad, it has taught me in many ways resilience and learning as well as accepting how the flaws can be better overcome.
You cant change the past, its there. Life is not about being born a woman but instead learning how to be a proper human being.
  •  

GoneGrl

Yikes there's a lot of choice words in your post that worry me.

Fraud and many other choice verbs that CIS Women use to discriminate against Transwomen.  I don't think I've ever heard any other Transperson much less a TS say such horrible things about themselves.  Even when depressed.  I'm actually worried about your post influencing others on this forum about their own transition.

If all of what you wrote is absolutely true then it certainly seems that you did not receive the proper psychiatric evaluations and therapy you needed prior to the SRS.  Most of these issues are worked out way before a surgeon even talks to you.  Although I do realize that many Surgeons now perform without a shred of psychiatric letters.

I transitioned in 1989 with my SRS in 1992.  I too never experienced issues with my transition because I was so young and small.  I'm very grateful for that everyday.  That being said, due to my intense psycho-therapy, never once did I have any regrets about my SRS. 

It gave me life if anything.
  •  

Allison S

Quote from: GoneGrl on November 24, 2018, 05:00:01 PM
Yikes there's a lot of choice words in your post that worry me.

Fraud and many other choice verbs that CIS Women use to discriminate against Transwomen.  I don't think I've ever heard any other Transperson much less a TS say such horrible things about themselves.  Even when depressed.  I'm actually worried about your post influencing others on this forum about their own transition.

If all of what you wrote is absolutely true then it certainly seems that you did not receive the proper psychiatric evaluations and therapy you needed prior to the SRS.  Most of these issues are worked out way before a surgeon even talks to you.  Although I do realize that many Surgeons now perform without a shred of psychiatric letters.

I transitioned in 1989 with my SRS in 1992.  I too never experienced issues with my transition because I was so young and small.  I'm very grateful for that everyday.  That being said, due to my intense psycho-therapy, never once did I have any regrets about my SRS. 

It gave me life if anything.
I feel the opposite of what you mentioned here. I think if someone is seriously considering transitioning and reads, then it's still up to them whether they transition or not. I don't think the OP should be held responsible for "desuading" others, because that's just not true. Being transgender women, we should know that. I agree a lot needs to be considered and thought about before taking the plunge to "transition", but we also need to allow others to vent if their feelings change.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

•  

KimOct

Julia - We are on opposite ends of the spectrum. I am an openly transwoman that does not pass often (sometimes ) but I have no FFS I am tall and broad shouldered and have a distinctly male nose.  It's pretty obvious that I am trans.

I am going to get to your point momentarily.

When I first started transitioning 2 & 1/2 years ago I planned on doing FFS but the finance fell through.  I decided to transition anyway.  I had an orchiectomy and all my documentation says I am legally female.  But I only feel female on paper.  Other than my testicles being removed and small breast growth I still look male.  My hair is real but plenty of men have long hair.

Here is when I address your situation ....

I still have some body dysphoria and wish I was you or even better cis - but that dysphoria is far less than it used to be.  The reason is the work I did with my therapist.  She told me that she has patients similar to you that are very passable but feel as though they are living a lie.

She helped me understand that regardless of how pretty we are or not, how passable we are or not, how many surgeries we have or not - the first thing we have to do is learn to accept ourselves as transgender.

We should not be ashamed of who we are - but we are sometimes - because we have been conditioned by society through humor, television, movies and comedians etc that we are to be laughed at.   We are brave people living our truth.  It took me a very long time to get to this place and I still have more growing to do but I am well down the path to accepting myself - an openly transgender woman.

I understand that some people want to live as stealth and that is certainly their right to do so.  And to be honest I wish I had the ability to but I am in some ways grateful that I can't live as stealth because I had to learn to be OK with myself and being transgender.  And now I am proud.

My suggestion would be to find a good transgender therapist that feels like a good fit for you and do this process in reverse.  You already have the face and body - now you just need the mind.

Best Wishes - I hope you find peace.
Kim
The first transphobe you have to conquer is yourself
  •  

KatieP

@Kim,
I never like +1 responses, but that was a spectacular response, full of wisdom...

Beautiful, as well...

Kate
  •  

Marcie237

I will also +1 the "find a therapist who is a match for you at the moment", but I will suggest first doing a 1 week (or whatever time works for you!!!) experiment with yourself.

At night , just before you go to bed for sleep, sit for a moment or two and ask yourself "what you want". Write down your first thoughts, but limited to only a few words for each thought, and I suggest to keep the list short - of no more than 5 or so items.  Then reread the list and think about it for a minute or less. Ask for understanding (from your spirit guides or whatever feels "right" at the moment). Then let it all go, off to sleep.

The next night, flip to a new blank page and do the same thing.
Maybe by the third night you will want to reflect by rereading the first 2 pages, but only if you wish to.

I often ask for understanding about something just before going to bed. It seems to help me on my path. Perhaps it will help you.  Be well! Hugs if okay.
No pain, no pain. - I suggest gentle and persistent. (GCS 1975)
  •  

Tinane

I know this was posted a few months ago, but after reading your story, my husband encouraged me to make an account and post.  I am in an incredibly similar situation, I had surgery 10 years ago, and was 21 when I moved away from home to a new place where no one knew my past.  You didn't say if you were in a position to do any type of therapy, but if possible I would highly recommend it, I have been doing EDM and it has been making a huge difference in my life.  I used to cry at least weekly on my way to work in the car because I felt like an ugly fraud who would have been better off dying during surgery, and most of the time I don't wear any makeup or anything else overtly feminine as it feels like I am putting on a false pretense of who I am. 

That has been changing for me, I'm starting to feel good and actually kinda proud of myself for the first time in my life.  But I wanted to reach out to you and let you know things can and will get better.  If you think it would help to directly message me please feel free, I can't since I don't have the 15 posts and honestly don't want to flood the boards with unneeded postings just to say that your not alone.  Transitioning was the hardest thing I've ever done, I just wanted to be a normal girl, and its scary to realize that even after being "all grown up" your still trans and it didn't just fade away like you thought it would.  But you and I are both women who deserve to feel good about who we are.
  •  

Zumbagirl

Yes you are a transwoman and always be one, no matter how perfect you look. We have a saying where I live "When life gives you lemons you make lemonade". If you spend all your time thinking about the fact that you are a TS person then you are letting it rule your life. Instead branch out and find new things to do with your life. Try new things and put yourself out of your comfort zone.
  •  

Marcie237

Quote from: Tinane on February 22, 2019, 12:09:16 AM
I know this was posted a few months ago, but after reading your story, my husband encouraged me to make an account and post.  I am in an incredibly similar situation, I had surgery 10 years ago, and was 21 when I moved away from home to a new place where no one knew my past.  You didn't say if you were in a position to do any type of therapy, but if possible I would highly recommend it, I have been doing EDM and it has been making a huge difference in my life.  I used to cry at least weekly on my way to work in the car because I felt like an ugly fraud who would have been better off dying during surgery, and most of the time I don't wear any makeup or anything else overtly feminine as it feels like I am putting on a false pretense of who I am. 

That has been changing for me, I'm starting to feel good and actually kinda proud of myself for the first time in my life.  But I wanted to reach out to you and let you know things can and will get better.  If you think it would help to directly message me please feel free, I can't since I don't have the 15 posts and honestly don't want to flood the boards with unneeded postings just to say that your not alone.  Transitioning was the hardest thing I've ever done, I just wanted to be a normal girl, and its scary to realize that even after being "all grown up" your still trans and it didn't just fade away like you thought it would.  But you and I are both women who deserve to feel good about who we are.

Yes def to EMDR, if that's what you mean - an easy way to break up old tensions and feelings - the simple act of shifting eyes/tapping palms etc every sec or so helps tons, followed by a little Jacobson relaxation to integrate it and just feel good. Just repeat as necessary! I had forgotten that - thanks!!! :) That makes me think I that there's probably something on youtube that would help you get started with that - they seem to have everything including energy transmission or shaktipat. :)
No pain, no pain. - I suggest gentle and persistent. (GCS 1975)
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: Tinane on February 22, 2019, 12:09:16 AM

@Tinane ane
Dear Tinane:
     I am so very glad that you have become a member here and this is your very first posting.   I am happy to see that you found the Susan's Place Forums.

As you post on the forums you will be able to exchange thoughts and comments with others that are experiencing many of the same things that you are.   I expect that you will be getting many members offering their thoughts and suggestions as you continue to post here. 

This is the right place for you to be to find out what others may have to say that may have been in your circumstances and with your questions and concerns.
    There are a lot of members here that will be able to identify with your situation and as you continue to feel free to share with all of us.

I also want to warmly WELCOME you to Susan's Place
You will find this a safe and friendly place to share with others and to read about others similar trials, tribulations, and successes.

As you are certainly aware you can share with others and involve yourself with some give and take with other like-minded members.  When frustrated or if you have successes you can share it here if you wish and receive support from others and offer support to others. ....
     ***There is a very good chance that you might find that you will make some new like-minded friends here. 

Please come in and continue to be involved at your own pace.

I have attached important and informative LINKS that will help you to navigate around the Forums and will allow you to enjoy the features here.     
Please look closely at the LINKS in RED, answers are there to many questions that new members ask.

Again, Welcome to Susan's Place.
Danielle

Here are some links to the site rules and stuff that all new members should be familiar with:

Things that you should read

****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

Northern Star Girl

@Tinane   
Oh, and another thing Tinane...
Please plan to write a post and tell us more about yourself in the Introductions Forum so that other members will be aware of your arrival... therefore you will be able to share your thoughts with more members here.

Thank you again for joining Susan's Place and being involved in the Forums here.
Best wishes to you,
Danielle

NOTE: Now after all of this Greeting Stuff I will let you have your thread back so you can pursue answers to your questions.
Other members here will certainly be along to give you their comments and suggestions that you may be seeking
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

TheRitz

You know something that is extremely normal and not mentioned.  The idea of having a child as a woman, not only as a trans woman but just being a woman period.  Usually around the age of 30 your mind and body sort of give you the push that if you havn't you probably should have a child. 

Its a feeling, or even a depression cis gendered woman deal with.  EVEN DESPITE BEING capable of doing so.  Your internal clock seems to be right on the money, and i've also had some instances where despite not wanting children my mind being like "why yu have no children" xD  which sometimes results in me being a little depressed that I don't have the option.

Thats not to say its a feeling everyone will have and pick up on, and if you don't it doesn't make you any less.  But the biological clock can be mother natures greatest bitch.
  •  

DebbySoufflage

I can somewhat relate to you.

When I first started transitioning I thought about going stealth. I was lucky to be small framed and to always have retained a high pitched voice.

I started HRT and I felt more comfortable in my own skin and I started loving myself more and more but as time got on I started to realise that hiding that I'm trans for the outside world felt lonely as well.

So I started to be more open about being trans and honestly, it felt like a relief. Not having to hide something felt liberating.

I mention it on dating profiles that I am trans for my own safety.

I mention it to coworkers, friends,... to be open and truthful about my journey and my life.

There was a weight that fell of my shoulders when I started to disclose that I'm trans, rather than to try to be stealth.

I have made peace with the fact that I will never be cis, no matter what I do.
Part of this is also why I don't want SRS.

The more I was open about it, the more people started to accept me because I was honest and open about my identity and my journey.

Luv
Debby
  •  

Liina

Greetings and hopefully hello to JungleJulia.
I am grateful for your original post Julia, and all of those who have written in addition to this post.
It has struck a chord with me as well as it may have with others.
To start, I read your post Julia and sympathize with you about your situation back in Sept, hopefully that has past for you now.
We come into this world when as newborn with no idea about our future or our life to be. In our present time in the history of humanity we have made unbelievable gains in technology and science, to be able to change ourselves to become as we feel inside and present to the outside world as we wish. It is astounding what we can do if we want to. It sounds to me by your post you are gorgeous, fully passable and with out a doubt a woman in every sense except for one aspect. To me you are no fake, no less a woman than any other cis female whatsoever.
Some thoughts, is a cis female who has had cancer and can not give birth a fake or any less a female because of her disease?
Is a person any less of person no matter what binary gender they are, a fake or less of a person if they were to have a missing limb or body part?
We all have a reality in which we live, ours as a Transgender persons who may have fully transitioned are a miracle of our generation. At no other time in our history have people been able change or present whatever gender they feel they are. Granted there are limitations to where live, access to the treatments, therapists and all the items we do in order to complete that journey. We are not at a point yet to sign up for transplants to allow ourselves to give birth, it may be down the road or not, depending on societies envolvement. If you think about all those people who have lived before us who did not even have a thought about gender difference outside of their survival needs, the people who who were marched into war never knowing they were transgendered or gay or different because they did not survive. We are now at a point in life where we can know the difference, know what is possible and know what is not. This is our reality in the now.
The reason why this post has struck a cord with me is, to me it is about acceptance, acceptance of our reality, of self, before we can even start this journey, to know we are transgendered, to know that no matter how much work and correction we can do we will never be able to obtain that one item of a cis gendered females ability. It made me realize that I have for so long have not accepted myself as different, only when I have accepted myself have I been more happy and alive. I have now also not given into what other people think of me, I do not need the criticisms for not being enough of any one item as a human being. The fact that I am here now and breath and see all aspects of life is a most wonderful gift, to be able to present as I feel even though I will modify my looks to be more feminine that will be that much more of a gift. The core qualities of living are to love, be loved, to be acknowledged and accepted for who you are as a person. There are many of us who fret about not finding those qualities in self and and or another person who can validate us. It is possible and those who wish will find a person that accepts those qualities we have about ourselves. The biggest one for me and many folks is the "Acceptance" of self and the reality in which each of us live. In the world there are many women of all shapes and sizes and features who are not able have some aspect of the human experience or they may have it all. The point being, the fact we are alive and able experience life for what it offers us is an individual journey and for us and no one else. If we need to mother we can find many kids who do not have a mother or parents which we may be able to adopt. We can love another human being to give that sense of mothering. Given our reality that is presently as much as anyone can do in our community. Your wish to be able work in shops and other lines of work is really a personal choice. We have chosen to deal with transgenderism by transitioning, I can only think that is the hardest journey to complete, the fact that we want to do something about it and be successful in doing so is no minor feat. To change a job and do what you wish can only be an individual move, and we have done bigger ones to get ourselves to where you/we are today. This by the way is no point of criticism but merely encouragement to seek what ever your heart desires, and we have the best possible chances of doing in our day in age.  Never give up!
And never give up on yourself, you have already done the hardest part of your journey.
End thought, "Our acceptance of ourselves and our reality is directly related to the fulfillment and happiness we will get in our lives", so many people before us have never had the chance or to know or even have a try.
This post has made me realize that I took 55 years to accept my self, another 5 years to start doing something about it and to remind myself that my acceptance will allow me to be who I am without guilt and or shame. No one can take that away from me or any of us.
You have a full life ahead of you as the person you wished to be, you are no fake or less of a person because of what can not do. Think of all the things you can do, many of us are envious of where you are at in your journey, our journeys are different and they belong to us. Be proud of what you have accomplished and show the world you as a beautiful woman as any other female has done before us.
Geez that is a thought hey! 
Liina
  •