Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

The early stages of transitioning: "painful, awkward, humiliating?"

Started by Angela H, October 04, 2018, 11:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angela H

Hey guys,

I follow Natalie Wynn of Contrapoints on Youtube and she made a very interesting video a few weeks ago about incels that's really good and I recommend watching if you haven't. In her usual style she tries to extend an olive branch to the incel community even though I'm sure most of them would never listen to a trans woman in a million years.

But there's a part in the video that kind of hit me really hard unexpectedly and made me a little depressed for a while afterwards and it's just a little throwaway line towards the end of the video where she says that the early stages of transitioning are "painful, awkward, humiliating."

I wasn't even really sure why it bothered me so much, but I think it's because I really didn't feel the way she describes when I started transitioning. My life before transitioning felt so hollow and pointless that even if there was some awkwardness I felt like I was waking up from a lifelong coma and seeing the sun for the first time. Everything was new and it was mostly very wonderful.

(As a funny(?) side note: when I started transitioning, before I was on hormones I spontaneously told my brother that I loved him over the phone after having a pleasant conversation with him. He later told me that that was the first time I had ever told him that I loved him  :'()

Anyways, what do you guys think? Is Natalie correct in her assessment? Is she too focused on passing? (She is very concerned with appearances.) Am I way too sensitive? I'm really curious!
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Snipped:
Quote from: Angela H on October 04, 2018, 11:38:29 PM
    Hey guys,
- - - - - - - - - -
   - - - - - - - - --
    But there's a part in the video that kind of hit me really hard unexpectedly and made me a little depressed for a while afterwards and it's just a little throwaway line towards the end of the video where she says that the early stages of transitioning are "painful, awkward, humiliating."
- - - - - - - - - - -
   - - - - - - - - - - - -
Am I way too sensitive? I'm really curious!
@Angela H
Dear Angela:
What? ! ? ! "painful, awkward, humiliating" ???
Perhaps the author of the video tried to go out and about too soon and experienced disappointing and frequent male-fail episodes.???

The transition journey is indeed exciting but the road can also be full of potholes and frustrations...

As has been stated over and over here on the Forums on various posts, HRT will work uniquely in your own unique body. What you read about other transitioning members experiences with HRT most likely will not be identical to your own experiences.
The adage that you should know about regarding HRT and how it may work for various individuals  is "YMMV"  meaning that Your Mileage May Vary.

Some will experience more significant changes more quickly and then some will experience less significant changes more slowly....   it is all up to your genes and how your body reacts to the HRT.   Your doctor will  undoubtedly be looking at your frequent blood test results during your journey to determine if any alterations in the HRT regimen are needed.

PATIENCE is definitely required.... usually not much happens very quickly with HRT... but changes will happen.  Do some reading of other transitioners posts and look at many of the posted HRT timelines and the before and after pictures, sure some will seem dramatic but there are others that are not ....  reading those posts can give you a very rough idea of what you MIGHT expect.

Many times the very first noticeable changes can be felt and seen within the first 1 to 3 months...
For the MTF,  breast tenderness, breast bud lumps forming under the nipples and possibly changes in body hair growth, your own body and urine smell, changes in erections becoming less intense, libido, etc.

Without a doubt this can be very "EXCITING and SCARY all at the same time."   One needs to hang on for an amazing ride.  Some of my best and most appreciated and dramatic body changes happened at about the 5 or 6 month point and through the start of year #2 of my HRT journey.   
Even though I was able to very successfully pass before I went full-time... when I did go full-time at the 1 1/2 year mark I had been passing 100% of the time.  Of course that is just my own personal experience, I suppose I can thank my unique body makeup and my genes for all that.

One more time.... PATIENCE is required.   The attitude of many people today is "I want it all and I want it now" ... that will not apply to HRT.   You might want to re-read what I just wrote so you can get a good grasp of the details that I mentioned.

You will not see dramatic changes on a daily or weekly basis.  I found that by taking my photo once a month that when compared with other monthly photos, the changes were quite noticeable. 

I will be looking forward to answering any of your questions... I will do my best to provide you any answers or suggestions that I can.

Wishing you well,
Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

Ryuichi13

For me as a FTM, my changes started happening pretty quickly.  Before I knew it, my voice was deepening, my body was changing in many ways, and I began growing hair in places I didn't even know I could grow hair! 

For me, its exciting to watch myself go through male puberty for the first time, but for a friend of mine, its scary for him.  Like it was said before, YMMV. 

I hope that that youtuber has friends and a good therapist to help them through second puberty, sounds like they may need a good support system.

Ryuichi

•  

krobinson103

Lets see... day two on e... fog of gloom lifted. A week in stuff started to change...

No I would say early transition was exciting, motivating, and fascinating.
Every day is a totally awesome day
Every day provides opportunities and challenges
Every challenge leads to an opportunity
Every fear faced leads to one more strength
Every strength leads to greater success
Success leads to self esteem
Self Esteem leads to happiness.
Cherish every day.
  •  

VickyS

I think Danielle has summed it up very nicely:  go out and about too soon!

I know if I wore a dress, heels, wig and full makeup (and GOD believe me I REALLY do want to  ;D ) and went shopping in the high street, then I'm absolutely certain I'd feel awkward and quite possibly feel humiliation as I know I'm not ready to go full time and even when I do go full time, it won't be dolled up to the nines, but something more subtle.
Came out to self: mid Oct 17                   Last haircut: 3rd Nov 17       
Came out to wife: 17th Jan 18                 Therapy started: 1st Mar 18
Electrolysis started: 10th Apr 18              Referred to GIC: 16th May 18
  •  

Alice (nym)

wow... that was an interesting video. I will need to check out some more of her stuff.

Painful, awkward, humiliating...

yep, that feels about right when you are in your 40s brought up in a hyper-macho world and had your father calling you a sissy puffter for the slightest feminine gesture.

The biggest obstacle in the idea of transitioning is overcoming the immense sense of shame, embarrassment, and humiliation. It is why we hide it. Today things are a lot easier... still very difficult... but at least there are people you can talk to online and places online where you can find information. It wasn't always like that.

When you are an 11 year old kid and the only trans person you know about is the one that the other kids shout names at, throw stones and rotten fruit at, smash her windows... and basically drive her out of the village... all with the encouragement of their bigoted fathers... and then they start on you because you refuse to partake in it because your Big Secret is that you are more like her than your so called friends.

Yes, it is painful, awkward, and humiliating.

BUT... perhaps once you actually begin the transition this changes. I don't know yet. It felt like a big load of my shoulders when I told my GP and asked him to refer me to a GIC for therapy. But it still left me feeling embarrassed and shameful. I still went to my grandmother's grave and asked 'her' - the memory of her - for forgiveness and felt the need to apologise for being a disappointment.

I've got a lot of baggage I need to unload and that's not going to be easy. It is going to be PAH. It is even difficult talking this through with my wife and she's been in the know for 14-15 years, so how am I going to talk to other people about it without feeling humiliation? ...because it has been drummed into me that what I am is wrong. And it isn't wrong, I know that, but it still hurts.

We each have our journey to walk and we each carry our own burden on that journey. I am immensely proud and happy talking to the people who have made their journey. It fills me with joy when I see young people being themselves. Even if it is desperation, there is courage and bravery... it is inspirational. But at the same time, it fills me with deep sadness when I see people like myself struggling to be themselves... especially young people who feel it is all too much. I've been there, I've been in that darkness. It is not easy to escape the void that we create inside ourselves to cope with everyday life. We've been clinging onto that emptiness as our safety blanket and all the while it has been consuming us... letting go is not an easy thing. I just hope that I can fly like the people who inspire me here.

wow that sounds so depressing... sorry.
Don't hate the hate... Start spreading the love.
  •  

KathyLauren

Angela, I guess that this must be a YMMV thing.  I am sure there are folks for whom the first steps are awkward and humiliating.

But, I agree with you:
Quote from: Angela H on October 04, 2018, 11:38:29 PMMy life before transitioning felt so hollow and pointless that even if there was some awkwardness I felt like I was waking up from a lifelong coma and seeing the sun for the first time. Everything was new and it was mostly very wonderful.
That's how it was for me, too.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Colleen_definitely

Keep in mind that the more controversial a yout00ber is, the more views they get and the more money they can make.  This person seems to be mastering the art of being controversial enough to go viral but not enough to get taken down.

As our ashes turn to dust, we shine like stars...
  •  

Kylo

Painful, awkward and humiliating?

Not really in my case.

I've had worse headaches than the pain I had from surgery, my entire life has been awkward so I see no difference, and humiliating? Life is generally humiliating to me, so this is nothing.

I suppose it must be a step down if you're used to being popular and looked up to and so on by people who don't understand any of this, only to have them freak out and ostracize you later. But I never had anything to miss. 

Also, almost nobody has bothered me about any of the "early stages". Could be a testament to the isolation I already was experiencing and didn't know. I don't know. But it doesn't feel like I lost much.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

Northern Star Girl

For me and my own experience I would replace "Painful, awkward and humiliating?"
with
Wonderful, going in the right direction,  and self-respect
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

HappyMoni

Can there really be a general rule though? We all come into this with different circumstances. I hated the awkwardness that I felt at first because I am highly binary, and being kind of 'in the middle' in my presentation was very uncomfortable for me. Some people have easy physical attributes, some very difficult  ones. Some are surrounded by hostiles and some have great support. I think the level of shame we enter into in our transitions varies too. No, I would shy away from any general rule of what it is like in the beginning. It is more  productive if you are talking to a person new to transitioning, to say that it can be tough to start, it usually gets easier with time, and you get out what you put into it. If you self defeat with negativity, you are going to have a tougher time. Don't get me wrong, it is super hard to be positive sometimes. I am convinced that as you experience the 'shots' of negativity that are thrown your way, keeping that core of positivity is critical.
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

Lynne

Quote from: HappyMoni on October 05, 2018, 04:45:51 PM
Can there really be a general rule though? We all come into this with different circumstances. I hated the awkwardness that I felt at first because I am highly binary, and being kind of 'in the middle' in my presentation was very uncomfortable for me. Some people have easy physical attributes, some very difficult  ones. Some are surrounded by hostiles and some have great support. I think the level of shame we enter into in our transitions varies too. No, I would shy away from any general rule of what it is like in the beginning. It is more  productive if you are talking to a person new to transitioning, to say that it can be tough to start, it usually gets easier with time, and you get out what you put into it. If you self defeat with negativity, you are going to have a tougher time. Don't get me wrong, it is super hard to be positive sometimes. I am convinced that as you experience the 'shots' of negativity that are thrown your way, keeping that core of positivity is critical.

I wanted to write something similar but you beat me to it so I'm here to agree with every word you wrote.
Sometimes I feel that my transition is painful, awkward and humiliating and there are moments when it's truly all these things and there are beautiful times when I feel great and hopeful and alive and these can happen in the same day or the same hour even.
  •  

blackcat

I'm going to get a little grimdark and say let's be realistic.

The most painful and humiliating part for me was admitting to myself I needed to transition.

The actual process of starting HRT has been awesome - but lonely because I have hardly anyone to share it with.

Most of the people close to me I confided in turned on me in the nastiest ways. So the social aspect has been not so hot. I don't regret transitioning, but I'm either alone, getting slow fades, or deflecting hostility until I can relocate. I'm changing my documents, disappearing, and then going full time.

I knew who the bigots were. But I was shocked and disappointed by how many people I legitimately thought would have my back who turned out to be more terrible than the open bigots.

Depending on your social setting, the early stages of transition may go well or not so well. Anyone considering transition needs to consider the fallout and have a contingency plan where their lives intertwine with others'. Kids? Marriage? Living at home? I am fortunate to be financially independent, and have no lockdown with house/kids/etc., and being kicked to the curb by everyone was still eviscerating. Someone wanted to take back Christmas gifts they had given me, and sent someone else to relay the message because that person also refused to speak to me.

The silver lining is I had an opportunity to shake all the bad people from my life. To say anything other than it hurts is unrealistic. Coming out may not go well for everyone, and it is in the best interest of everyone considering transitioning to mentally prepare. Maybe I was dealt an unusually bad hand.

The pushback from society, depending where you live, can also be distressing. I had a doctor tell me to my face that gay trans men don't exist, I've had receptionists hang up on me multiple times as soon as I would say the word "transgender," etc. I had to hit rock bottom before I could reach for help, and much of the "help" available to me was not so helpful. I was fortunate that informed consent was available. Not everyone has this luxury.

It's not all rainbows and sunshine, but it is 100% worth it.

Transitioning is awesome. I can't get over how amazing it is that this is even possible. I can't imagine how I would have suffered if I lived 100 years ago. Getting the right chemistry in my brain was like turning a key in a lock that had been there all along, and everything went from black and white to HD.

But, transitioning in an ignorant society? Not so awesome. The rewards of transitioning are the only thing that could motivate me to wade through the way a lot of people are inclined to treat people who are "different" from them.

Anyway, after a couple of months of emotional bloodshed, now hardly anyone talks to me, good riddance. I'm saving more money because I'm single and spending a LOT of time at the gym.

On the subject of awkwardness, I think anything new is awkward. Time, experience, and repetition lessen that. If I had a packer fall out at a black tie event, that would probably be awkward.

I think there is an inevitable positive feedback loop between brain chemistry, watching your body change, taking those baby steps out into the world, and confidence, that eventually snowball and wipe out most of that awkwardness and eradicate negative people from your life. It takes a lot of pushing to get that started, though, and can seem impossible at first.

My advice to anyone about to transition would be to not give up - but polish that full suit of body armor because at some point you are going to need it.

I also hate thinking about myself as a girl AT ALL because it's like one big, giant failure that I feel really guilty about. So I'm all about looking forward, not backward. I'm grateful for the wisdom I've gained from my former life, though.
  •  

IAmM

It is wonderful that the beginning of your transition was a balm to your pain and not another heartache. I think that this is the way it should be, unfortunately it doesn't work out that way for everyone. Yes it can be painful, akward and I assume humiliating. Have to say, there are more humiliating things that I have experienced, more painful too really. Imagine not being able to wait to be passable, that dysphoria is crushing you and you have to go full time. Knowing that you look like a dude in a dress, knowing that there is not one thing to do about it but to persevere, would you? It's not a joyride for everyone even if it turns out great, it is a necessity no matter how painful. It can hurt as much as any hurt that exists.
  •  

krobinson103

Quote from: IAmM on October 06, 2018, 02:45:45 AM
It is wonderful that the beginning of your transition was a balm to your pain and not another heartache. I think that this is the way it should be, unfortunately it doesn't work out that way for everyone. Yes it can be painful, akward and I assume humiliating. Have to say, there are more humiliating things that I have experienced, more painful too really. Imagine not being able to wait to be passable, that dysphoria is crushing you and you have to go full time. Knowing that you look like a dude in a dress, knowing that there is not one thing to do about it but to persevere, would you? It's not a joyride for everyone even if it turns out great, it is a necessity no matter how painful. It can hurt as much as any hurt that exists.

At the start I went full time very early knowing that I looked exactly like a dude in a dress. I celebrated every small victory and one day... I looked like a woman in a dress. The way I look at it what society sees and judges us on has little bearing to what I need to do... and they can get stuffed! I'll do what I need to do to be happy and thats exactly what I did.

Did it hurt? Not really because I knew I was making progress towards the goal... and thats all that matters.
Every day is a totally awesome day
Every day provides opportunities and challenges
Every challenge leads to an opportunity
Every fear faced leads to one more strength
Every strength leads to greater success
Success leads to self esteem
Self Esteem leads to happiness.
Cherish every day.
  •  

Ryuichi13

Wow, blackcat, it sounds like you got rid of a LOT of poisonous people in your life!  Good riddance to bad rubbish, I say!

I had that happen on a much smaller scale.  I'm from a large family, and when I came out as transgender to my siblings, one of them completely rejected the true me, preferring the old, fake person I pretended to be.  My parents, both 75+ in age, simply refuse to acknowledge my transitioning to the man I should have been born as.

I no longer speak to my sibling that wished my true self dead on my birthday after my correcting them.  I don't need that kind of poison in my life, especially now.

I'm getting used to the fact that I will have to correct my parents of my deadname and misgendering for the rest of their lives.  If they get angry again, I will deal with it.  If they reject me, I will hurt, but I will survive. 

On the good note, I had one sibling not only support me, but is dating a transman herself.  The ironic thing is that my "gay" sister is now in a hetero relationship with him.  ^-^ I'm so happy for her, I wish them all the best in the universe! 

I also have a brother who is trying to get used to my new name and gender.  I give him props for not only accepting what makes me happy, but for doing his best to call me by my proper name and gender. <3  He's even teaching his fiance and adopted son to accept the real me! *thumbsup*

The rest of my siblings, I hope will accept the true me.  If not, I reiterate yet again, I don't need poisonous people in my life.

However, I did the opposite of what you're planning.  I moved first, and then transitioned.  It was completely unplanned, as I had moved to be with my partner.  He supported me completely while I went through all the research I did before deciding to transition, something that I will forever love him for. 

October 11th is National Coming Out Day here in the US.  I'm planning to come out on facebook to my friends and family that day.  I'll be changing my icon pic and everything, and posting a letter explaining my decision to transition.

I'm scared to death. 

But its something I must do.  My facial hair and outward changes are very evident, and I refuse to shave at this time so the next time I go home for a visit, they'll see my proper male self anyways. 

Painful?  The loss of family and possibly some friends will be. 

Awkward?  Maybe.  I don't mind explaining some basic things about transitioning to family and friends. 

Humiliating?  No.  I love the man I am physically becoming, and I'm proud to show off my changing body!

Thrilling?  Exciting?  Full of wonder from the changes?  Most definitely!

Ryuichi

•  

Maid Marion

It should be pointed out that our country is undergoing a political leadership shift, as we move away from a white male patriarchy.  This means that a lot of people are angry and upset over the change.  And that transgenders are being used for political gain, as the gays are too firmly entrenched as mainstream for that purpose.

This has made it both easier and harder for transgenders, depending on where you live and the people you associate with.
  •  

Ms. Bee

Angela i went to YT to watch the video. I learned so much. I felt like a Incel in male form. I could so relate the anger, rage, and resentment. The video left me with a layer removed to my true identity. Thanks for posting.
  •  

Allison S

Oh it has been tough. I tried to stay ingocnito through my transition until I could switch over seamlessly, but that didn't happen at all. Honestly a year in on hrt and realistically speaking I'm only starting to get past "painful, awkward, humiliating" in the public eye. I think. With my family... Not so much out of the painful and awkward... I don't really feel humiliated with my family though.

I did watch Contrapoints video where she mentioned this and I related to her a lot. It's good to be positive, but not everyone is lucky to go about things with little trouble. I think it's so important to talk about how difficult it is when you're one of the people that are visibly transitioning. There were so many times I wished I could hide, but I couldn't. It was rough and at the same time, going through it all is what brought me this far...

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

•  

Lisa_K

I wrote an extremely long drunk post in reply to this thread last night after an evening at the pub but had the good common sense to not post it. I still wanted to comment though and will try to be more brief but I'm not the greatest at that.

It's hard for me to really define the early stages of transition or where things got started. From kindergarten on it became painfully obvious I was not going to fit into the world as a boy so things got awkward right off the bat. After 2nd grade and allowed to start growing out my hair, not only was my personality and manner called out but so were my looks pretty much from then on out until high school was over. I was put into counseling at 10 years old after the 4th grade which was never about "fixing" me but more about learning to deal with the intense social problems I dealt with for being so different.

Obviously the way I was "broken" wasn't going to be changed so how I was treated because of it was addressed. I'm sure my folks had a lot to do with that? In fact, the whole also obvious issue about my gender was mostly overlooked I think now because none of the doctors I was ever taken to had ever seen a kid like me before and it scared them to death? The notion of transsexualism in general wasn't even widely known or accepted in the psychiatric communities in 1965 as anything but some deviant offshoot of mental illness like homosexuality and the idea that there could be pre-pubescent children that were also trans was just too morally, ethically and intellectually ridiculous to even consider. That concept would take another decade or two to gain traction and is still controversial.

This only got worse. By junior high (7th) grade, I had "girl's hair", wanted to do everything I could to be like other girls and was otherwise gender indeterminable, totally ostracized socially and had been in 14 different schools in three different parts of the country by then because every time things got bad for me or I was told my presence was too disruptive or the bullying became too abusive, we moved somewhere else. I became a medical curiosity and at times was made to feel like a lab rat getting passed around to different "mental health professionals".

At home and with extended family though, other than some playful teasing intended make light of my atypical nature because it was funny rather than something making me the spawn of Satan or any big deal, I was supported if not fully celebrated for my uniqueness and who I was so there was some counter to all the difficulties and crappy way I was painfully, awkwardly and humiliatingly treated in school. To my parent's credit, they had always understood my distress. I had happy times and have good memories of my childhood. They made sure of that and I was loved and they did everything possible to treat me normally because they knew the outside world did not, that life was so hard for me and that there was nothing I could do to change who I was.

At 15, I was assaulted by a group of homophobic boys and out of school a month in recovery. During that time, I came to an understanding with my folks that I simply could not live my life as a boy and continue to put up with this crap and there wasn't a chance in hell I was ever going to grow up to be a man so something needed to be done. There were no words, language or concepts about all this as there are now to discuss it and I didn't know what needed to be done but I was nevertheless understood loud and clear and concessions were made.

For my folks, this came as a Captain Obvious moment they were just waiting for me to bring it to the table again like I had tried to do when I was 5 or 6 but was silenced rather than them being the ones to suggest such a preposterous notion or "plant ideas in my head" which is what they said when I became angry at their unblinking acceptance for knowing I was a girl all along and not having talked about it previously other than to let me know it was okay if I was gay. Like all the doctors I'd seen, I think they were hoping the whole thing would just eventually blow over? But it all made a lot of sense. Life would have been easier for me if I was a girl because that's just what I'd grown up to be and what I'd always known myself to be. Unfortunately, this was all in 1970 so being actually able to transition in terms of changing names and pronouns as we think of it today was out of the question while a kid in school but now with my parents understanding and support in the direction my life was going, the beast was unleashed you might say in every other way.

What gender I was had always been questionable, obviously incongruent and the root of my issues but by the time I was 16 and the outer me and inner me came into closer alignment, gender ambiguity was no longer a problem for me. In addition to just my personality and manner, something I could never hide or change anyway, subtle cues like pierced ears, shaped brows, shaved legs, less gender neutral clothing and so on plus already having blonde pretty hair halfway down my back finds it hard for me to remember after that when strangers didn't gender me as a girl without them having to think about it or figure out what I was.

Nothing was the least bit different about me when I went to school where I was known by a boy's name and he/him. As you can imagine, I was somewhat in a league of my own you might say when trying to say things tactfully and downplay the social and emotional difficulties of being accepted as and treated like a girl everywhere else and just some queer, confusing and disgusting alien "it" in the academic environment. Every day was a challenge and I dreaded life and waking up in the morning knowing what I would have to go through. I was so lucky to have made it beyond my junior year without dropping out which to my parents was a hundred times more important to them than if I was a boy or a girl which had long since ceased to matter anyway.

It probably doesn't need pointing out but I was pretty screwed up, withdrawn, isolated, depressed and suicidal and really a wreck from having to go through this mind warping change in the way I was perceived on a nearly a daily basis. I was just your average teenage girl in most respects and was accepted and treated as such in all other parts of my life except by the kids and many of my teachers that had problems with that disturbing sick in the head boy that looked and acted like a girl.

I started HRT at the beginning of summer after my junior year when I was 17 and the changes took off quickly having never really had much in the way of natal puberty. By the time I graduated in 1973, I'd been on hormones for a year and passing and accepted as a girl outside of that environment for a couple years that just came naturally to me and I couldn't pass as a boy even if I'd tried by then since I never had before then anyway so my "transition" if you want to call it that was simply a matter of signing the paperwork. I had new IDs with my correct name and gender the week after getting my HS diploma. I got my first job a few months later in an office as a receptionist/gal Friday with none of what I'd been through in life ever known.

I had more or less spent the first 18 years of my life in transition dealing with all the awkward, painful and humiliating things you can imagine as someone might in my situation with the whole world not only watching but pointing fingers. I may have lived the rest of my life successfully and comfortably in stealth and been fortunate and given a lot of unusual and against the grain opportunities when I was a kid but if anyone thinks I or other kids like me somehow have things easy, handed to us on a silver platter or that things were a cakewalk because we're young and have family support, perhaps it's best to reconsider? Kids can be absolutely savage to one another and without the maturity of a fully developed adult mind and experience and the difficulty of being a teenager in general on top of all this makes our "easy" transitions not as simple as they might seem. If you're a kid that doesn't have the understanding and support of their family, it's not like you can get a divorce and start your life over on your own so have a little respect for the fact our journeys, while possibly seeming easier do have their own set of challenges that are often under appreciated.

Getting out of high school, away from that environment and those people and once being able to blend quietly into the world and have a reasonably normal life as a young woman, girl next door, coworker and eventually wife, the awkward, painful and humiliating things to anywhere near that earlier degree have never been experienced again.

Oops! Another long post. Sorry about that.  :icon_redface:
  •