Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Question about epilators compared to shaving

Started by Sam1066, October 09, 2018, 04:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam1066

I've been shaving my whole (adult) life, and I know that after shaving I'm smooth on my face for about 1 or 2 days, and a quick AM shave for me is pretty dang quick when I'm not maintaining a beard. I also know that I can shave regardless of hair length, it takes off whatever pokes up. So in theory there's no minimum hair length for shaving with a good shaver.

With epilators, which I didn't know were a thing until recently, is there a minimum hair length for facial hair removal? And is that minimum length long enough to be an issue (how visible is it)?
Sam?
  •  

RabbitSpectre

Hi Sam!

Some people use them without much issue, but I really don't think it's worth the potential risks. On the face may be especially difficult, and potentially painful. I have sensitive skin, so I'm particular by practice, but it is recommended with epilation products to test it on a part other than your face at first, so you have some idea how your skin might react. So if you try one, make sure to be careful!

There are some natural remedies made with easy to find, non-hostile stuff you can use! They're typically not quite as effective, but they do work, and also don't pose the risk of permanent skin damage or chemical burns, scars, and stains, etc. They work better on some areas than others. Try girly videos on youtube, looking for 'natural epilation' or natural face epilation', etc. You should find some nifty tutorials and ideas to try, which I would recommend before nuking your face with that stuff. There may be some male hair specific ones as well, but I haven't looked those up.

Hope this helps! :)

•  

Sonja

Quote from: Sam1066 on October 09, 2018, 04:10:04 PM
I've been shaving my whole (adult) life, and I know that after shaving I'm smooth on my face for about 1 or 2 days, and a quick AM shave for me is pretty dang quick when I'm not maintaining a beard. I also know that I can shave regardless of hair length, it takes off whatever pokes up. So in theory there's no minimum hair length for shaving with a good shaver.

With epilators, which I didn't know were a thing until recently, is there a minimum hair length for facial hair removal? And is that minimum length long enough to be an issue (how visible is it)?
@Sam1066
Be very careful epilating your face...its painful, the hair needs to be about 1.5mm to 2mm there will be some bleeding after plucking out so many thicker hairs (every tenth bleeds), the effect lasts about 1-2 weeks depending on your hair growth.  make sure you use an exfoliant/micro exfoliant on your face daily - because ingrown hairs on your face are really bad news!
Also in general this is not a long term solution as hair growth cycles are in different phases so there will always be some hairs that are too short to epilate when others are getting long. so its really something you can do every so often - BUT the effect is great, after a couple of days of healing - use good moisturizing products and serums, you will have no hair or beard shadow AND the pain causes your skin to swell slightly which is a great benefit for feminizing your face - which is great for makeup or in general.
Also make sure you have a good pair of tweezers next to you for the hairs that are stubborn and DO NOT try to epilate your upper lip!!! - you must use tweezers for this - why? because the epilator can't move upwards in order to remove this hair - all you will end up with is skin burn from the epilator.
You need to give yourself about 3-6 hours to do this cleanly, makesure your epilator is strong enough to pull these tougher hairs - try a test area off to the side.

one last thing - it is very painful - you'll need to focus your mind on the end result to get yourself through it..
I had too much hair density so I had to pluck many hairs randomly to thin out the area before the epilator could even do the rest.

Good luck!

Sonja.
  •  

AnonyMs

If you epilate your face you can make it difficult to do electrolysis later. Its bad enough already, so I'd not risk making it even worse.

If you can try laser.
  •  

Devlyn

The Braun Silk-epil 9 comes with an attachment for facial hair. I've never experienced any bleeding with it.

Quote from: AnonyMs on October 10, 2018, 06:25:16 AM
If you epilate your face you can make it difficult to do electrolysis later. Its bad enough already, so I'd not risk making it even worse.

If you can try laser.

Source? Other than an electolysist who would obviously be vying for the business. I mean, go ask a Chevy dealer if Fords are any good. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  •  

AnonyMs

There's some posts here

http://www.hairtell.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/5/1/Rotary_epilators.html

As to bias, I can't say. Not about to risk it myself, even if I could stand the pain.
  •  

Sam1066

Well, I might try it and see how it goes once. My worry was how much the hair has to be visible before i can remove it.

My default strategy is a really high end electric shaver every AM when i brush my teeth n floss, easy to integrate into my morning routine. Add some laser sessions to slow down growth, and I might be set...
Sam?
  •