Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Long term, post op dilation might be unnecessary for some transgender people

Started by Lauren24, October 26, 2018, 12:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lauren24

I haven't really heard of this technique being used in MtF people, but apparently it has happened. Basically, using amnion with fibroblasts to line the neovagina improves the moisture and size so that dilation is not necessary long term.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29383415

NCBI
  •  

hardlife

As the years goes by, technology for srs seem to get better. I kind of feel sorry for the FTMs which seem to be lagging behind in progress of making private parts
  •  

Lauren24

Quote from: hardlife on October 26, 2018, 01:22:01 PM
As the years goes by, technology for srs seem to get better. I kind of feel sorry for the FTMs which seem to be lagging behind in progress of making private parts

I do too, honestly.

Currently, FtMs have surgeries that seem more risky, expensive, and can be less successful. I could be wrong but that seems to be consistent with what I have read. However, I believe their surgeries will improve faster than MtFs to the point of being 100% complete reproductive sex changes.

A small part of it is social. MtFs are much more controversial when it comes to the general public, largely because feminine traits and behaviors are seen as less desirable and acceptable than their masculine counterparts. It's why there are less negative associations with the word tomboy than girly boy or something to that effect. Being able to stay somewhat under the radar is important imo.

The other part is medical. In a way, FtMs are fortunate that most wars are fought by men. Many men on the battlefield experience groin injuries that are extremely severe. These injuries often limit function and reproduction, and the military has put quite a bit of money into regenerative medicine and penis transplants. There was recently a penis transplant for one such wounded soldier. It was pretty successful from what I heard. The only reason they didn't include the testes were over ethical concerns of having someone elses kids (not so much because of fears of organ rejection).

That's a huge advancement and I think they will benefit greatly from stuff like that in the near future.
  •