Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Has Anyone Used the App Voice Up?

Started by rlacy2018, October 28, 2018, 11:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rlacy2018

It's on the Google play store. My brother said that my voice sounds weird, and not like a female's, it's probably more like a higher pitched boy. I know it isn't perfect, my pitch is high but I didn't think the rest of it was that bad. He is supportive of my transition though, so I think he was just trying to be helpful.

Anyways, I haven't had much luck (I haven't really stuck to it) with voice training. In the past I would always get discouraged because it never feels like I'm doing it right and my voice gets really weak at super high pitches. So, with the app VoiceUp, there's 3 stages, @ $15 a stage, which really isn't that bad because I can always revisit them, but I just don't know how much it'll actually help.

With the test, my voice is at 165 Hz, which is more in the female range. But I know there's more to it than just pitch.
  •  

Linde

I used the free voice pitch analyzer several times (also on the Play Store), and end up with a low average of about 140 Hz, and a high average of about 220 Hz.  That brings me into the lower range of a female voice.

And that is pretty much my natural voice, I just have to watch not to put extra base into it, which I used to do to sound more manly.
But it is not only the pitch, it is also the speech pattern.  I don't really know how male my speech pattern is, because English is my third language (after Dutch and German), and I learned a lot of it from my wife (ex now), who is a linguist.  Because of this, it could be that I have a more female speech pattern when I speak English???

My psychologist feels that I sound like Marlene Dietrich did, because my voice has almost the identical pitch and I have the same accent she had.  Now I just need long blond hair and I could make my living as Marlene Dietrich impersonator!
How would that sound, Dietlind Dietrich, or simply DD?
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

sarahc

Voice Up is so-so. Voice Up goes over the most important concepts but I thought the lessons were not as good as the EVA app, which I think is only on iOS.

I don't think either app is a substitute for in-person therapy, but it could be helpful to do them prior to therapy. I think it's worth plopping down $15 to see if you like Voice Up.
----
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,244009.0.html)
Hope to go full-time: July / August 2019
FFS / SRS: 2020
  •  

rlacy2018

Quote from: sarahc on October 28, 2018, 05:54:10 PM
Voice Up is so-so. Voice Up goes over the most important concepts but I thought the lessons were not as good as the EVA app, which I think is only on iOS.

I don't think either app is a substitute for in-person therapy, but it could be helpful to do them prior to therapy. I think it's worth plopping down $15 to see if you like Voice Up.

Thanks for the reply! Where can you find a voice therapist? I live in Virginia and I tried a few Google searches but I couldn't find much.
  •  

rlacy2018

Quote from: Dietlind on October 28, 2018, 11:39:55 AM
I used the free voice pitch analyzer several times (also on the Play Store), and end up with a low average of about 140 Hz, and a high average of about 220 Hz.  That brings me into the lower range of a female voice.

And that is pretty much my natural voice, I just have to watch not to put extra base into it, which I used to do to sound more manly.
But it is not only the pitch, it is also the speech pattern.  I don't really know how male my speech pattern is, because English is my third language (after Dutch and German), and I learned a lot of it from my wife (ex now), who is a linguist.  Because of this, it could be that I have a more female speech pattern when I speak English???

My psychologist feels that I sound like Marlene Dietrich did, because my voice has almost the identical pitch and I have the same accent she had.  Now I just need long blond hair and I could make my living as Marlene Dietrich impersonator!
How would that sound, Dietlind Dietrich, or simply DD?

Thanks for the reply! Sadly I don't know who that is. Yes, my therapist was telling me about speech patterns and such.
  •  

sarahc

Quote from: rlacy2018 on October 28, 2018, 07:40:30 PM
Thanks for the reply! Where can you find a voice therapist? I live in Virginia and I tried a few Google searches but I couldn't find much.

If you're near Washington, there's a good transgender voice clinic at George Washington University.
----
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,244009.0.html)
Hope to go full-time: July / August 2019
FFS / SRS: 2020
  •  

rlacy2018

Quote from: sarahc on October 28, 2018, 07:53:28 PM
If you're near Washington, there's a good transgender voice clinic at George Washington University.

Unfortunately I'm not, more like Southwest Virginia. Is there a list/collection of them online?
  •