Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Blade Runner

Started by saraswatidevi, July 28, 2007, 02:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saraswatidevi

This movie is one of my all time favorites. Unfortunately, the version shown on TV is not the theatrical release that I remember and loved because of the happy ending. If anyone is interested this is being released in December as a 5 disc set. I believe it will contain all the different versions of the movie.

1. Ridley Scott's All-New "Final Cut" Version of the film.

2. Theatrical Version - The original that contains Deckard's narration and has Deckard and Rachel's (Sean Young) "happy ending" escape scene.

3. 1982 International Version - Also used on U.S. home video, laserdisc and cable releases up to 1992. This version is not rated, and contains some extended action scenes in contrast to the Theatrical Version.

4. 1992 Director's Cut - Omits Deckard's voiceover narration and removes the "happy ending" finale. It adds the famous "unicorn" sequence, a vision that Deckard has which suggests that he, too, may be a replicant.

5. Workprint Version - This rare version of the film is considered by some to be the most radically different of all the Blade Runner cuts. It includes an altered opening scene, no Deckard narration until the final scenes, no "unicorn" sequence, no Deckard/Rachel "happy ending," altered lines between Rutger Hauer and his creator Tyrell (Joe Turkell), alternate music and much more.
  •  

Cindi Jones

I like this film as well.  I have a DVD of the Director's Cut (number 4). This one does not have the narrative.

I agree the narrative is pretty cheesy.  If you can't pick up the story without "the voice", you need to be watching teenage ninja turtles or something else.  And yet, with that said, I kind of like this version, for it was the first that I saw. 

I saw the film in theaters when it was originally released.  Does that date me or what?  Oddly enough.... I was in drag!  I was pretty much alone in the world at that time.  So the film is also a defining moment in my life which brings back many dark feelings which adds to the tone of the story.

I love the soundtrack.  I would hope that at least one of the new release discs have surround sound.  I wonder if this is available in HD format.  I'm going to have to look.

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

Hazumu

Another little factoid for the film.

Director Ridley Scott used a beam splitter in front of the camera lens to shine a bright light directly into the eyes of the actors who were playing replicants.

Human retinas can reflect light the way certain animals like cats or other nocturnal animals do, but not to the same extent.  But that reflection is what accounts for the 'red eye' in amateur flash photos.

Notice that in a couple of scenes, Deckard's eyes glow just like a replicant's...

--I preferred the '92 director's cut, FWIW

Karen
  •  

Cindi Jones

Quote from: Ell on July 28, 2007, 06:45:37 PM
then for Rutger Hauer's character to get a conscience at the end just doesn't make sense.

That's really the theme for the whole story.  Life, all life, is precious.  The theme runs in currents and eddies intertwined through every scene and conversation. This is one of the reasons that the film is such a favorite of mine.  It carries a theme that's a bit off the beaten path and yet so personally important to me.  I thought it was a bit predictable if anything that Hauer's character would have a deathbed revelation of sorts.  I could see it coming!  So it was no surprise to me.

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

Thundra

QuoteI thought it was a bit predictable if anything that Hauer's character would have a deathbed revelation of sorts.  I could see it coming!  So it was no surprise to me.

Interesting. I never saw it that way. A great movie leaves many things open to the imagination and interpretation IMO.

I saw it more as the androids were the same as any other group in an exclusionary position.
When you never have the ability to fit in, and you are hated for who you are, you no longer have anything to lose, and you lose the ability to care.

The androids were not "criminals" because they had no value of life. They had no value for life, because they had nothing to lose. Their lack of humanity had nothing to do with their criminality. I totally identified with them. I was saddened by the original ending when he left with Rachel. I kept hoping she would pinch his head off or something.
  •  

Buffy

Blade Runner ... what a great film.

I like the the Directors cut best. I loved Harrison Ford in his early acting roles and would class this (along with Alien) as one of the best Sci Fi films.

I also liked Logans Run, with Michael York, which was another classic from this era.

Buffy
  •  

Skye

If you ever make it by way of Seattle, Check out the Sci-Fi Museum.
They have a Spinner hanging from the ceiling, lots of costumes and memorabilia of it.
No pictures allowed but get there ASAP.   It's very cool.  I will go back next time I am up that way, hopefully they will have more.
  •  

Sarah

Oh yes,
and the paper origami Unicorn...
Is Decker a Replicant...?
His dreams are known to his friend...
Good film.
I like the Uncensored International Theatrical version the best.
I thought Harrison Ford's Voice-over added to the story.
I havn't yet seen the Final Cut, but I will.
Has to be better than the '96 directors cut.
  •  

Pica Pica

saw it a long time ago, didn't stick - would like to see it again.
  •