Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

SRS with Dr. Raphael in Plano, TX on July 17th

Started by Colleen_definitely, August 03, 2018, 03:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colleen_definitely

And if I had to do it again, I would certainly go back to the same place. 

For the suspicious: I am not being paid or asked to give this review.

Back to story time:

Unlike many other places in the USA this outfit does SRS outpatient.  Kind of scary for some people, and a bit of a hassle having to do an Airbnb or hotel for a couple of weeks if you're from out of town.  I have friends from way back who live nearby and offered to let me stay with them, plus I hate hospitals so it worked for me.

As expected getting the insurance thing done was a bit of a pain, and the ladies who do the insurance work at this facility needed more hand holding than I believe they should need but it worked out in the end.  I was an extra painful case due to having out of network exceptions and such with my plan.

I arrived the weekend prior to surgery and spent time hanging out in the Plano area.  My surgery was on Tuesday with a preop appointment on Monday.  On Monday they did basic paperwork, a quick chat with Dr. Raphael, and his nurses took a couple of before photos.  I got my prescriptions, went and got them filled and went back to the house.
I was on clear fluids all Monday and had to do an oh so fun bowel prep with magnesium citrate (which actually tasted better than expected with the grape flavored one).  So other than being glued to the toilet for most of the afternoon, it was a pretty uneventful evening.  I had a call from the anesthesiologist who went over all of my concerns, and was told to be there the next morning at six.

Surgery day <cue dramatic music>

One thing I'll say about the surgery center staff is they really, really have their act together.  My partner and I pulled in, and within a half hour I was already in the prep area gowned up and getting an IV started.  That part is always a bit of a mess since I'm a difficult stick, but she managed to get one going on the second try.  My surgical nurse was really fantastic.  Mr. anesthesiology showed up, gave me a bit of a pep talk and asked if I was ready to go.  When I said "Well Pete's here and his hands look steady so lets do this" he put a few CCs of something magical into my IV line, I kissed my partner, and down the hallway I went.  I remember getting into the surgical suite, looking over at the leg brace on the table and it was all recovery room after that.

Surgery took about three and a half hours (not that I had a clue.)  While I was in recovery my girlfriend stuck a "newly renovated" sign on me and took a photo, the nurses and my surgeon thought it was hilarious (admittedly so do I.)  As I woke up I really felt like I had to poop.  My higher thought functions weren't working well enough to realize that I hadn't actually eaten anything in a couple days so it definitely wasn't that.  It was the packing.  So after a couple hours of coming to my senses I was ready to go.  Out came the IV line, I got plopped down into a wheel chair, and it was off to a nearby hotel.  I had a checkup the next morning so we elected to grab a hotel close by instead of staying with my friends that night.  Ordinarily you get sent out with a nurse to keep an eye on you, but since my partner is a nurse practitioner they just told her what to watch out for and off we went.

Day 2:

I came back early in the day for a quick look over.  I had everything iced down pretty well and the Vicodin was definitely helping.  Dr. Raphael looked everything over, asked if either of us had any questions, said everything was looking good, and off we went with an appointment 1 week from surgery.  I spent the following week sleeping for the most part but my partner made sure to get me up and walk around a few times a day to help healing and prevent DVT.  They also gave me some neato battery powered calf compression devices to help when I was sleeping.  Walking around with a catheter and urine purse was kind of annoying but I managed, and boy can I do some marathon sleeping when I don't have to get up to pee.

I got a photo of my new parts and yes it looked more or less like a normal vagina.  (A normal vagina that had been run over a couple times by a truck, chewed on by a stray dog, and stitched back together that is.)  Thankfully that improved rapidly as swelling went down.

Week 1 checkup:

This was the REALLY exciting one.  I was nervous in a bit of pain going in so my partner gave me one of the dilaudids that my doc prescibed.  I was a little loopy, but wasn't feeling any pain at all.  So when it came time to pull the catheter out I couldn't help but giggle like an idiot the whole time.  That was a VERY unusual feeling.  Up next was the ten feet or so of packing that Pete had jammed in at the end of the procedure.  Of course I giggled like an idiot there, despite it feeling like I might get a rope burn while it was being pulled out.

And that's when it got really interesting.  Out came the small orange dilator, all greased up, and in it went!  I was still giggling, and Dr. Raphael was explaining the physiology of how everything was laid out to my partner and I while doing it.  It definitely was not as sensual of a way to lose my virginity as I had imagined, but I took it to the last dot on the first try so I had that going for me.

After addressing concerns and commenting on how good things were looking, I was free for another week.  Since I was mobile I finally got out of the house and got out on the town a bit to go out to eat, but things still hurt so it was a bit limited.  In short it is nothing unexpected at all.  Dilation felt just plain odd as my brain still had all of the nerve endings mapped out the old way, so it just felt bizarre to feel something sliding in past things that used to be way outside.  It still kind of feels like that, but it my brain is adjusting.

Week 2 checkup:

At this point the swelling has really dropped and it honestly looks like a slightly swollen natal vagina.  My two week checkup was the last one before I could go home.  Dr. Raphael and his nurse came in and everyone took a look at how things were going, and he seemed pretty pleased with his work.  His exact words were "give that thing a couple of months and it'll look like a factory item."  His bedside manner really is without equal.  He might be the most genuinely caring physician I've ever met. 

He had to do a check of the internal sutures, so he gloved up, greased up, and slipped a finger in.  Being the smartass that I am, I couldn't resist saying "But I just met you!"  And a good laugh was had by all.  He asked how well I was sticking to dilating, and was happy to hear that I was doing it religiously.  Sadly some patients don't and end up with complications later.

So after that I was cleared to head home, I set up a 3 month follow-up appointment, and off we went.  9 hours in a car later we were home, I am really happy that we split that into two days because car rides are NOT your friend at that point.

Things learned:

Surgery is super easy: you sleep through it.  This is kind of a big one for me since I had never had a "real" surgery before and was kind of freaking out about it.

Donut pillows put too much pressure on the entrance to the vaginal canal, a neck pillow worked way better for me.

Get REALLY big panties for recovery since you're going to be jamming a pad, an ice pack, and some foam in the front. 

Dilation isn't as scary as some make it out to be, it is a bit of a time sink at first though.

And that's about it so far, all in all it's pretty grand to have the right stuff finally even if it's still sore and healing up.
As our ashes turn to dust, we shine like stars...
  •  

Colleen_definitely

Unexpected week 2 and 1/2 update:

Dilation actually felt pretty good today and after getting into the groove I had to peel myself off of the ceiling.

So he got that part right. Wow. Not to sound like I'm complaining, because believe me I'm not, but that seems a bit quick. 

As for the rest, it's still healing and while the swelling is going down things are still a bit swollen. It looks presentable now and I can still take a dilator to the last dot. I'm happy so far.
  •  

Megan.

Colleen,

Thank you for the all the info and I'm glad to see things are going 'really' well in your recovery.

Best wishes for continued smooth sailing. X

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

•  

Kendra

Colleen, wow - sounds like your results are amazing, especially this soon after surgery. 

I started gaining some really great sensations sooner than I expected, but not as quickly as you have. 
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

Colleen_definitely

•  

Colleen_definitely

So since it's a slow day at work, how about a week 5 and a half update?

Things are cruising along still.  No complications at all at this point.

Healing is going great, I need a panty liner for lubricant seepage more than anything.  I'm still dilating 3 times a day but have managed to move on up to the blue soul source dilator about a week ago.  I may give the green a try in another week.

Swelling is still present, but mostly deeper tissue swelling up under the clitoris and urethra end of things.  All in all it really looks like a factory item.

So in a word: yay!
  •  

GingerVicki

Quote from: Colleen_definitely on August 24, 2018, 09:54:25 AM
So since it's a slow day at work, how about a week 5 and a half update?

Things are cruising along still.  No complications at all at this point.

Healing is going great, I need a panty liner for lubricant seepage more than anything.  I'm still dilating 3 times a day but have managed to move on up to the blue soul source dilator about a week ago.  I may give the green a try in another week.

Swelling is still present, but mostly deeper tissue swelling up under the clitoris and urethra end of things.  All in all it really looks like a factory item.

So in a word: yay!

I love reading about how things DO go right. "Peeling off the ceiling" dang you go girl!
  •  

Colleen_definitely

Thanks. It has definitely been anything but a horror story for me.
  •  

summer710

Thanks for the update.  I honestly didn't realize we even had a surgeon in Texas who does GCS...I'm currently scheduling a first consult with Dr. Wittenberg in San Fransisco, though this maybe changes things (I used to live/work in the Metroplex and still have close friends there who could help me out post-op before I go back to the Gulf Coast).

If you considered other surgeon's, could you briefly mention them (if you don't mind)?
You have suffered enough and warred with yourself - It's time that you won.
  •  

Colleen_definitely

I considered a lot of the big names like Bowers but didn't want to wait years for surgery. My therapist suggested Dr Raphael and after talking to a few friends and acquaintances who have had surgery with him and having a consult I was sold.
  •  

Mari P

How long did you wait for a reply after initially contacting them & then how long before getting a consultation. Also, if it's not too much to ask, you mentioned insurance troubles. I have United Healthcare. Any chance you do too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love yourself the way everyone else should.
  •  

Colleen_definitely

I called them and set up a consult over the phone, I think it was about a bit over a month to get a consult since I needed it on a specific day since it made taking time off from work easier.
  •  

Colleen_definitely

How about a 3 month update?

So far, so good for the most part.  The swelling has settled down almost completely at this point.  One of the incisions is still a bit tender but not bad.  Scarring is honestly pretty minimal, Pete definitely excels at stitching.

The only real issue I have had was being a bit of an overachiever in the healing department and developing a granulation at the entrance of the canal.  That made dilation extremely painful and pretty bloody.  So I ended up having to back down from the blue soul source dilator to the orange one.

Pete took care of it with some silver nitrate on the 29th and while the procedure itself was pretty uncomfortable, the relief was nearly immediate.  Unfortunately going a couple of weeks with a small dilator means I have to work my way back up.  It really isn't any more fun now than before.

Aesthetics wise, it's better than I had hoped.  Other than a couple of very faint scars down the side it looks pretty much like my girlfriend's original equipment model.  Sensation is great, reeeeeeeaaaaaallllly great.  Lubrication isn't amazing until I orgasm, afterward it's time to get a mop.  However lubrication due to arousal has been improving.  We'll see where that ends up since sexual activity has been pretty minimal due to healing up.

If I had to sum it all up briefly: Pete and the surgical team does a great job but his office staff really kind of sucks at everything.  It's painful to get answers out of most of them.
  •  

summer710

Hi - thanks for the continued updates - they're so helpful to give other's insight and experiences of the process (obs, YYMV).  I agree - his demeanor is very comforting (and his nurse seem very kind).  I recently had a consult with him and he seems well versed in this type of surgery (still another surgeon to check out, however).

If it's ok - how much time did you take off from work?  I'm provisioned 6 weeks/year, mainly desk work, but do have to walk around to work other areas (some standing).  Wondering if 5 weeks official FMLA is enough, and then burn that 6th week if still not ready to return.  I work in a hospital, so I'm fairly certain I can get a spare room in the women's ward to dilate at work.

Thanks
You have suffered enough and warred with yourself - It's time that you won.
  •  

Colleen_definitely

Yes his nurse Catherine is just great.  I have nothing but praise for her, I was mostly grouching about the insurance and other office staff who could use improvement.

I took off a little under 3 weeks before I was back doing remote tech support work (I was getting bored, I was tired of my coworkers messing things up, and it let me minimize the time on short term disability with the lower pay rate.)  Week eight is when I went back on the road doing the regular gig which involved a fair bit of travel, manipulating heavy things, climbing ladders, and stuff like that.

I was able to walk around pretty well by week 3, and was nearly back to normal by week 5.  So if moving around doesn't involve wrestling with patients you might be OK.  Just keep a travel pillow nearby for sitting since that was still somewhat uncomfortable for me at that point.

The dilation schedule I was given has you dilating 4x/day for 20 minutes for the first 3 weeks after the packing is removed (so until week 4 post op).  For the 3 weeks after that it's 3x/day for 20 minutes, that can be set up so it's morning, after work, and before bed assuming you don't work long shifts.  So when you plan to go back to work you shouldn't need to dilate on the clock unless you're working 12 hour shifts or longer.
  •