Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Just had my orchi this morning. I have a couple questions.

Started by salaniaseviltwin, November 19, 2018, 11:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devlyn

Quote from: salaniaseviltwin on December 03, 2018, 09:59:47 PM
2 week update.

Pretty much all of the bruising is gone now with the exception of a few spots. The previous pain subsided shortly after the last update, but it's returned with a vengeance today. My follow up appointment is on Wednesday and I should be getting my work release note that day as well.

The one thing that I'm a bit confused about id that I can clearly feel what's left of my spermatic cords. Is that due to swelling, a mild complication, or my surgeon cutting too low?
If anyone has about insight before I see my surgeon, that would be awesome. I'll be selling him Wednesday regardless of any answer I get from you lovely people.

Those "knots" are normal. It will take a few months, but they will completely disappear. I thought I might be stuck with them as a consequence of surgery, but they're gone now.

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

salaniaseviltwin

Thank you Devlyn. That's exactly what I was thinking. I glad that they are only temporary. They currently hurt a bit and had me a bit concerned, thankfully the pain is less than it was yesterday.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

"Perception is reality. If you are perceived to be something, you might as well be it because that's the truth in people's minds."   -Steve Young

•  

Devlyn

I'm not sure if re-absorbed is the correct term, but that's essentially what happens to them. It will take awhile, so patience is required.

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Charlie Nicki

Yes the knots absolutely disappeared. I was freaking out at first because they felt like 2 balls so for a moment I panicked thinking my doctor had messed up and put testicular implants in there to keep the same appearance. Then I had the next appointment and she laughed and said they would disappear.
Latina :) I speak Spanish, English and a bit of Portuguese.
  •  

JanePlain

Congrats!  Don't worry about the brusing.  It looks pretty dreadful but it goes away fast.  I wanted to comment on the issue of the cords.  When I had my orchiectomy I asked to have it done inguinal (not scrotal)  so as to remove as much of the spermatic cords as possible.  I had read that in some cases of scrotal orchiectomy the dangling cords can attach themselves to the scrotum and can become painful.  The only drawback are two faint scars in the pubic area.

On that note one interesting thing that was suggested by my doctor was to numb the cords before cutting.  The theory is that even tho you are "out" the pain impulses still go out to the brain and may set you up for phantom pains.  As the doctor said this happens fairly often with any amputation.  *Note this was suggested by my pain doctor.  And for what its worth I've never had any phantom pains which I think we all can appreciate.

My surgeon said he was fine doing it any way I liked.   I really liked the doctor and not just because he did my Orchi.  This is just me but I asked to be kept awake long enough to say hello to the people in the operating room.  I wanted to do that so they thought of me as a real live person and not a procedure.   They were quite nice about it and said to just tell them when I wanted them to put me under.  As I recall when they had my arms out and were securing me to the table and were getting ready to put in the catheter I voted to be knocked out for the rest.   
  •  

salaniaseviltwin

Quote from: JanePlain on December 06, 2018, 07:14:56 PM
Congrats!  Don't worry about the brusing.  It looks pretty dreadful but it goes away fast.  I wanted to comment on the issue of the cords.  When I had my orchiectomy I asked to have it done inguinal (not scrotal)  so as to remove as much of the spermatic cords as possible.  I had read that in some cases of scrotal orchiectomy the dangling cords can attach themselves to the scrotum and can become painful.  The only drawback are two faint scars in the pubic area.

On that note one interesting thing that was suggested by my doctor was to numb the cords before cutting.  The theory is that even tho you are "out" the pain impulses still go out to the brain and may set you up for phantom pains.  As the doctor said this happens fairly often with any amputation.  *Note this was suggested by my pain doctor.  And for what its worth I've never had any phantom pains which I think we all can appreciate.

My surgeon said he was fine doing it any way I liked.   I really liked the doctor and not just because he did my Orchi.  This is just me but I asked to be kept awake long enough to say hello to the people in the operating room.  I wanted to do that so they thought of me as a real live person and not a procedure.   They were quite nice about it and said to just tell them when I wanted them to put me under.  As I recall when they had my arms out and were securing me to the table and were getting ready to put in the catheter I voted to be knocked out for the rest.
It sounds like you had an amazing doctor. I didn't even think to ask for it to be done inguinal. My surgeon was a former associate of Dr. Loren Schecter, so I trust he knows more than I ever will on the subject.

I didn't know that fact until my follow up appointment.

I also got to meet everyone that was in the OR before they even wheeled me in.

"Perception is reality. If you are perceived to be something, you might as well be it because that's the truth in people's minds."   -Steve Young

•  

salaniaseviltwin

Basically 1 month update.

Everything seems to have healed. The only concerns now are the sutures that decided that they want to be on the exterior of my body during the healing phase. I have an appointment with a doctor in Wednesday that will say what to do in regards to them. All the scabbing had cleared and I'm now left with a neat little line that will be virtually invisible eventually.
The hard part seems to be that I still have zero energy, I've been getting what I'll call hot flashes, and cramps.
Obviously the estradiol will help with the "hot flashes."
Does anyone have any recommendations about regaining a bit of energy?

•  

JanePlain

I do but it might make some folks cringe.  My advice is to get your testosterone levels into normal (female) range.  After the Orchie your levels may land in the below normal range for women and you will have things like zero sex drive and or low to no energy.  I urge you to talk to your endo and ask about having labs done and talking about how to balance things so life is in the normal female range of hormones. 

I do it btw and having a sex drive is way better then the alternative. 

If thats not the problem talk to your doctor about your energy level.  Are you maybe just dealing with excessive daytime sleepiness?  They do have some meds for dealing with that.   *And do work! 

Glad you are feeling better and congratulations again.
  •  

Devlyn

Quote from: JanePlain on December 17, 2018, 05:50:52 PM
I do but it might make some folks cringe.  My advice is to get your testosterone levels into normal (female) range.  After the Orchie your levels may land in the below normal range for women and you will have things like zero sex drive and or low to no energy.  I urge you to talk to your endo and ask about having labs done and talking about how to balance things so life is in the normal female range of hormones. 

I do it btw and having a sex drive is way better then the alternative. 

If thats not the problem talk to your doctor about your energy level.  Are you maybe just dealing with excessive daytime sleepiness?  They do have some meds for dealing with that.   *And do work! 

Glad you are feeling better and congratulations again.

I second that. My adrenal gland is keeping me at high, but normal female T levels.

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

JanePlain

Quote from: Devlyn on December 18, 2018, 03:02:47 AM
I second that. My adrenal gland is keeping me at high, but normal female T levels.

Hugs, Devlyn

That is great news.   My hormones seem to all need tweaks to get into the proper levels.
  •  

orchicurious

How long does Dr. Arnkoff recommend waiting to fly after an orchiectomy?
  •  

amydane

Quote from: orchicurious on December 23, 2018, 07:56:48 PM
How long does Dr. Arnkoff recommend waiting to fly after an orchiectomy?
I had an orchiectomy three weeks ago, though not with Arnkoff, and was okay to fly 48 hours after the surgery (per Dr. Ley), though I wouldn't recommend it. I walked a little too much that day because our terminal was moved at the last minute, so I had to get there without a wheelchair.

•  

JanePlain

Quote from: amydane on December 25, 2018, 07:16:47 AM
I had an orchiectomy three weeks ago, though not with Arnkoff, and was okay to fly 48 hours after the surgery (per Dr. Ley), though I wouldn't recommend it. I walked a little too much that day because our terminal was moved at the last minute, so I had to get there without a wheelchair.

Congrats!
  •  

GordonG

Quote from: amydane on December 25, 2018, 07:16:47 AM

Yes,  congrats. Hopefully I'll be there in a few months.
I'm a gender confused guy who lives an hour north of Seattle.
I believe that I was influenced by DES. I have crossdressed in public a handful of times, see avatar picture (enhanced with FaceApp).
I don't plan on transitioning, no GRS, FFS, nor BA.
I consider myself TransFeminine. But reserve the right to change my mind at any time.  ;D

Spironolactone; 7-16-2018
E sublinguals; 10-5-2018
Orchi; 2-15-19
No more Spiro. 

•  

Linde

@ amydane, congrats!
I hope I will follow you soon.  I see an urologist next week to start the discussion!
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

christinej78

Hi Folks,                       28 December 2018

There are three types of Orchiectomy: Radical Inguinal, Simple, and Subcapsular.

I had my Bilateral Radical, inguinal, Orchiectomy Friday 13 April 2018. The only incisions were about 1.5" on each inguinal canal. The scrotum was not cut. I had no swelling, no bruising and no real pain, just minor discomfort for two days that a total of 6 Tylenol took care of. The incisions were healed in a week, the scars are now almost invisible. Don't let the name of this procedure fool you, it is actually the simplest and least traumatic of the three orchie types.

The inguinal method makes it possible for the entire spermatic cord to be removed; nothing is left dangling down into the scrotum. My scrotum has shrunk to almost nothing. If you are contemplating bottom surgery at a later date, don't worry, the scrotal tissue is stretchy as always so you should have enough to satisfy the needs of GCS, which I plan on having next year.

I had my Orchie done by Dr. Peter Raphael in Plano, Texas (North Dallas). He and his team have their own surgery center. The total cost was $3500.00 for Pre op consultation, pre op checkup, Surgical suite, anesthesia, surgery, three post op checkups. He only does the inguinal procedure and he does it under GA. Though I tried, he won't let you take them home though I do have photos of the procedure. The orchie is one of the best things I have done for myself surgically.

One benefit of this procedure many folks don't know about, aside from riding one of "T," is that this procedure reduces ones risk of prostate cancer to almost Zero; something worth thinking about.

Best Always, Love
Christine
Veteran - US Navy                                       Arborist, rigger, climber, sawyer
Trans Woman 13 Apr 18                               LEO (Cop)
Living as female - 7 years                             Pilot
Start HRT san's AA's 27 March 2018              Mechanic
Borchiday completed Friday 13 Apr 2018        Engineer Multi Discipline
IT Management Consultant                            Programmer
Friend                                                          Bum, Bumett
Semi Retired                                                Still Enjoy Being a Kid, Refuse to Grow UP
Former Writer / Editor                                   Carpenter / Plumber / Electrician
Ex-Biker, Ex-Harley Driver                             Friend of a Coyote
Ex-Smoker 50 years and heading for 100
  •  

orchicurious

Hi christinej78,

Thanks for the information about your bilateral radical inguinal orchiectomy.

What letters of authorization did Dr. Peter Raphael require?

Also, does he offer the option of saline testicular implants?
  •  

christinej78

Quote from: orchicurious on December 28, 2018, 10:16:18 PM
Hi christinej78,

Thanks for the information about your bilateral radical inguinal orchiectomy.

What letters of authorization did Dr. Peter Raphael require?

Also, does he offer the option of saline testicular implants?

Hi orchicurious,                         28 Dec 2018

I had two letters from Licensed Professional counselors, a letter from my Endocrinologist, and a letter from my Primary care Physician. I also wrote a bio that listed my time as when I started cross dressing and my evolution to living as a woman full time. Your best bet is to call their office at 972.543.2477 and ask to speak to Catherine Walker-Paul. She is Dr. Raphael's Senior Patient Consultant. She is very nice and helpful as is all their staff. Their facility is first class and you are treated very well. I especially like Dr. Raphael as he is easy to talk to and will explain any aspect of the surgery you want to know about. I was very satisfied with everything they did for me. Give them a call and you should be pleased with how they treat you.

You will have to ask Catherine about the implants. I didn't have any as I wanted the scrotum empty.

If you are a veteran or are in the military let them know. Hope this helps; I'm glad I had my Orchie done there and not elsewhere.

Best Always, Love
Christine
Veteran - US Navy                                       Arborist, rigger, climber, sawyer
Trans Woman 13 Apr 18                               LEO (Cop)
Living as female - 7 years                             Pilot
Start HRT san's AA's 27 March 2018              Mechanic
Borchiday completed Friday 13 Apr 2018        Engineer Multi Discipline
IT Management Consultant                            Programmer
Friend                                                          Bum, Bumett
Semi Retired                                                Still Enjoy Being a Kid, Refuse to Grow UP
Former Writer / Editor                                   Carpenter / Plumber / Electrician
Ex-Biker, Ex-Harley Driver                             Friend of a Coyote
Ex-Smoker 50 years and heading for 100
  •  

salaniaseviltwin

NO UPDATE, but the is a question for anyone that had the procedure done scrotal. The right "cord" has retracted, the left however seems to have attached itself to the incision during the healing. It also seems to be hard and rather large. Is this something that I should be concerned about given its been roughly 6.5 weeks?

•  

Linde

I was informed by my urology surgeon that no surgeon in SW Florida will do an orchi just for transgender reasons!
But he also told me that an orchi would not bring anything for me, because my testes are so atrophied that it is very unlikely that they are able to produce any testosterone anyway.
They are that little for years already, and that could be the reason that the estrogen my body produces was enough to get my breasts growing!
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•