Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Diet and growing pains

Started by krobinson103, December 02, 2018, 12:20:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

krobinson103

I've been transitioning for a bit over a year now and a major part of it has been constant breast pain. Not that I'm complaining about the results! I've been the doctor who recommended lower dose of e (no thanks!) and gave me supplements, and a prescription pain pill. Then, I met the women I'm currently dating who happens to be vegan. Now I like to eat healthy and thought why not... lets give this a go.

So, for the last few days I ate purely plant based foods. The result? Startling. For the first time in over a year ZERO breast pain. no meds, no pain at all. A coincidence I thought. I did some research. Google bought up studies pointing to meat and dairy products being one of the reasons for breast pain. This I co-related with previous experience (many times over). When i was on pills... e + protein = pain every single time.

So, since today has been totally pain free and its too short a time to call a trial I'm going to experiment eating vegan for two weeks to see if it does indeed have an impact or today's pain free bliss is just a lucky day!
Every day is a totally awesome day
Every day provides opportunities and challenges
Every challenge leads to an opportunity
Every fear faced leads to one more strength
Every strength leads to greater success
Success leads to self esteem
Self Esteem leads to happiness.
Cherish every day.
  •  

IAmM

I ah...
Since the correlation between the growth of the human brain and the consumption of meat has been established the science may have stagnated but I don't think the consensus has changed all that much. Do we need to consume meat to maintain optimal brain function, I don't know. Do we need to consume meat to maintain a healthy body, no but taking away meat means we have to add supplements to maintain that health.
I don't think that you are wrong, I am not even saying that a vegan diet is bad, but we are designed for a combination of plant and meat based diet so I don't believe that eating meat is against our bodily function.  ;D Funny coming from me, I am not all that fond of meat and probably only eat one or two servings per week. Yeah I love fish and a good burger now and again, not steak but a hamburger. I don't get why I never have any desire for beef other than a really good hamburger one or two times a month.  9 out of 10 of my meals are completely vegen but I am not giving up fish or the occasional burger. Sometimes poultry.
I am just saying, if someone chooses to go vegan, do your homework. You have to consume a good amount of certain veggie stuffs or supplement. Yes I supplement, my endo insisted three years ago.  ;) Do vegan responsibly.
  •  

krobinson103

Quote from: IAmM on December 02, 2018, 03:00:18 AM
I ah...
Since the correlation between the growth of the human brain and the consumption of meat has been established the science may have stagnated but I don't think the consensus has changed all that much. Do we need to consume meat to maintain optimal brain function, I don't know. Do we need to consume meat to maintain a healthy body, no but taking away meat means we have to add supplements to maintain that health.
I don't think that you are wrong, I am not even saying that a vegan diet is bad, but we are designed for a combination of plant and meat based diet so I don't believe that eating meat is against our bodily function.  ;D Funny coming from me, I am not all that fond of meat and probably only eat one or two servings per week. Yeah I love fish and a good burger now and again, not steak but a hamburger. I don't get why I never have any desire for beef other than a really good hamburger one or two times a month.  9 out of 10 of my meals are completely vegen but I am not giving up fish or the occasional burger. Sometimes poultry.
I am just saying, if someone chooses to go vegan, do your homework. You have to consume a good amount of certain veggie stuffs or supplement. Yes I supplement, my endo insisted three years ago.  ;) Do vegan responsibly.

I have plenty of supplements. The issue for me is pain that never ends. This can be very distracting! Thus I am going to trial this approach and if it does indeed work then dairy at least is out... because I like not being in pain. Day two of trial. Down about 1kg since last week and breasts slightly tender but no where near as sore they have been.
Cherish every day.
  •  

krobinson103

Day Three, pain is non existent. This is great...
Cherish every day.
  •  

KathyLauren

Hey, Kelly, glad to see that you are trying a vegan diet!

I have been vegan for over 20 years.  The only supplements I take are vitamin B12 and vitamin D.  I have never been as healthy as I have since I went vegan.

It seems to be agreeing with you, so I hope you stick with it.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

dee82

Quote from: KathyLauren on December 03, 2018, 10:06:38 AM
I have been vegan for over 20 years.  The only supplements I take are vitamin B12 and vitamin D.  I have never been as healthy as I have since I went vegan.

I am halfway between vegetarian and vegan. (Think of a vegan who cheats by having eggs and dairy milk chocolate on occasion). Been that way for about 18 years.

Yes, I do take a B12 supplement at least once a week, but have never had problems with lack of protein or iron deficiency. Given those are the two areas that meat is meant to be so essential for, it is clearly possible to get enough through other sources.

Until I started this transitioning trip, I never went to the doctors because I had no reason too.

Not saying you don't need to be informed about what a good balanced vegetarian/vegan diet requires, but I am not a fanatic about food and haven't found it very hard to do.

~Dee.
  •  

krobinson103

Well, still no pain. Also feel pretty good no lack of energy, and weight is coming off... 2kg down this week. :)
Cherish every day.
  •  

Linde

Quote from: dee82 on December 05, 2018, 12:21:38 AM
I am halfway between vegetarian and vegan. (Think of a vegan who cheats by having eggs and dairy milk chocolate on occasion). Been that way for about 18 years.

Yes, I do take a B12 supplement at least once a week, but have never had problems with lack of protein or iron deficiency. Given those are the two areas that meat is meant to be so essential for, it is clearly possible to get enough through other sources.

Until I started this transitioning trip, I never went to the doctors because I had no reason too.

Not saying you don't need to be informed about what a good balanced vegetarian/vegan diet requires, but I am not a fanatic about food and haven't found it very hard to do.

~Dee.
Humans were designed to be omnivores, which means, our diet should be a combination of plant and animal based nutrients.
If we eliminate the animal protein, and partly fat,  portion of our diet, we have to make sure to have appropriate supplements available.  In general, a vegan diet is not really healthy (any dietitian can tell you that), and for proper brain development, we nee to eat a certain amount of red meat.
Eating eggs and milk products, may be enough to fill the amount of animal protein one eats, but the red meat component is still missing. (one does not need much of it).
The problem with Reagan diet is that our body will not treat most supplements like the "real" thing, and partially will not process them at all (no matter what the advertising promises, as long as the supplement is not FDA registered, they can promise the gold pot at the end of the rainbow).

I am not a big meat eater, I source most of my animal protein from fish.  I eat fish every day of the week, and supplement it once in a while with a lean steak (for the read meat component).  My diet consists mostly of fish and vegies, hardly any pasta, potato or rice.  I eat some whole grain bread to get enough carbohydrates of a complex nature into my system.

Talking about no pain in the breast since starting a vegan diet, could be that the body has not enough nutrients to keep the growing of the breast going. A  cis woman whose body is fully developed, would have different nutrition requirements than the body of a trans woman.  The body of the trans woman might still be developing the more female attributes (fat depositions), and might still require the nutrition amounts of a male body.
I, for one, would be pretty reluctant to eliminate animal protein and fatty acids from my diet!
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

krobinson103

An interesting debate. Well day 5 of the experiment. Had a small amount of chicken yesterday and definitely noticed an increase in breast tenderness a few hours later. Not unbearable but significant. Down to 98.3kg this morning and no pain once again.
Cherish every day.
  •  

Linde

Quote from: krobinson103 on December 05, 2018, 10:07:39 AM
An interesting debate. Well day 5 of the experiment. Had a small amount of chicken yesterday and definitely noticed an increase in breast tenderness a few hours later. Not unbearable but significant. Down to 98.3kg this morning and no pain once again.
It also could be that your weight loss is causing the absence of pain.  Breast tissue is mostly fatty tissue, and if you loose weight, you also loose breast volume!  Less volume means less pressure onto the skin and the nipples!  You never can loose weight without loosing breast volume either, fat is fat for your body, no matter where it is located!

•  

krobinson103

Quote from: Dietlind on December 05, 2018, 10:18:54 AM
It also could be that your weight loss is causing the absence of pain.  Breast tissue is mostly fatty tissue, and if you loose weight, you also loose breast volume!  Less volume means less pressure onto the skin and the nipples!  You never can loose weight without loosing breast volume either, fat is fat for your body, no matter where it is located!

Dunno I dropped 30kg 8 months back and breasts did nothing but get bigger. The pain is mostly related to glandular tissue I think as it hurts on the inside.
Cherish every day.
  •  

dee82

Kelly, your experiences with pain and diet are interesting. I will be interested to see how this pans out if you decide to update this thread occasionally.

As a grown adult (whose brain is full developed) I haven't touched red or white meat for many, many years without ill effect. (Despite the dire and persisitent warnings I was given from my father when I first started being a vegetarian.)

I know a lot of science says you can't or shouldn't eliminate meat, but it's been working out fine for me.

By the way, good luck with the dating. Going out with a vegan sounds awesome.

~Dee.

•  

KathyLauren

Quote from: dee82 on December 05, 2018, 03:45:26 PM
I know a lot of science says you can't or shouldn't eliminate meat, but it's been working out fine for me.
There are no nutrients in meat that cannot also be obtained on a vegan diet.  Years ago, I went to a new doctor.  During the intake interview, he was horrified when I told him I was vegan.  He immediately ordered up a whole mess of blood tests to see if I was suffering from malnutrition.  A couple of weeks later, when I went in to get the results, he shook his head, mystified, and said, "Well, you must be getting your iron and calcium from somewhere!  Your levels are perfectly normal."  Well, duh, where did he think the cows got those nutrients from?  Grass!

Good for you, Kelly, for giving it a try. 
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

dee82

Quote from: KathyLauren on December 05, 2018, 03:50:49 PM
He immediately ordered up a whole mess of blood tests to see if I was suffering from malnutrition.  A couple of weeks later, when I went in to get the results, he shook his head, mystified, and said, "Well, you must be getting your iron and calcium from somewhere!  Your levels are perfectly normal."

That's a great anecdote, Kathy!
  •  

Dena

If you eliminate meat and dairy from your diet, you need to google "complete protein". This will provide you with the information needed to select the foods needed for a balanced diet. My first exposure to complete protein was about 50 years ago when we were looking for a diet for my brother. In his case we needed to eliminate sugar however the cook books for that also included information on  protein.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Linde

Quote from: KathyLauren on December 05, 2018, 03:50:49 PM
  Well, duh, where did he think the cows got those nutrients from?  Grass!

Good for you, Kelly, for giving it a try.
I assume you know that cows have two Independent stomachs.  The gras gets first into the pre-digestion stomach, undergoes an enzymatic conversion process, gets regurgitated chewed over again to make sure everything is shredded and mixed well, and goes into the second stomach, were the final digestive process takes place.  The cow's digestive system contains different acids and enzymes than the Human system (because we are omnivores, we are supposed to get a higher grade protein in our nutrition, and don't need all that processing).  With other words, our system cannot extract the nutrients from plant material as well as vegetarian animals can.  We need to ingest supplements, and there is the problem, because our system will not process the supplements as well as the natural food, and in the worst case, will not process them at all.

I am very healthy with my basic fish and veggies diet, and consider it way better than a vegan diet.  But like with everything, one has to decide for one self what one wants to do.  We are definitely old and wise enough to make such life changing decisions like being a trans person, and I bet we are also old and wise enough to decide what we want to/should be eat(ing)!

•