Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Inexplicable doubt about transition?

Started by Hannah_Celeste, December 05, 2018, 12:45:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannah_Celeste

Can anyone relate to this? Warning, this a long post.

**TLDR: I'm worried I'll have crippling regrets during midlife about transitioning, because I wont ever be able to get the body I have now back, and this seems to be what's been keeping me from going forward with transition. Wondering if anyone can relate.**

The reason I've stopped the transition process and started again more than once now is because some sort of doubt I can barely describe surfaces whenever I think about what the long term future will be like. I'm going to ask my counselor about this, but I thought perhaps folks here might be able to relate.

After talking with people here for a week or so, my mindset has been slowing evolving to yield a degree of comfort and excitement about transitioning I've never experienced. It's great! My latest revelation is that is living as a girl will feel so gosh darn good, the costs will be extremely worth it, even if I don't pass. Seriously, I feel like realizing this is a huge milestone in my personal development. BUT, it makes the odd, out-of place, doubt I feel even more frustrating. Again, this is why I keep chickening out. Let me try to describe it....

I think about the near future first when I reflect on everything, then what it might be like during transition, then my mind wanders to a few year's down the road, then finally to when I'm old and feeble and still living as a woman. *This* is when the doubt sets in. It is just a voice (part of me) that says, very loudly, "You'll regret it eventually. You'll never be able to go back to the way you were and there will be a time where you'll really wish you hadn't changed. Just wait for mid-life. This is what your midlife crisis will be and it will be extremely painful. You won't pass, and they'll be no going back. This will torment you, and you'll think about all the good things that could've been if you'd stayed as a boy."

Wtf, brain? Right? I can't help but hear my father's voice in those words, so right now I'm going to stick with the theory that the doubt is insecurity about what my family will think of my decision. This can be worked on, anyway. And if I try to manage the doubt directly, I can say a whole lot to assuage it, like:

1) Estrogen may help with my RA. Why the hell would extra help managing autoimmunity be a bad thing? *Especially* long term? I realize E can also increase auto-immunity, but my physician has said she expects it to at least help the arthritus component.
2) Because of the health issues I already have, and because the long-term risks of these can be increased by hormone therapy, transition may actually motivate me to take even better care of myself than I do now. I also read that keeping solid diet and exercise habits is recommended for anyone doing hormone therapy. Therefore, I anticipate I'll be motivated to improve my habits, which has already been happening for a long time anyway. I'm even upping my routine already in anticipation of starting hrt and looking in to a special diet for autoimmune dieseases.

Based on these points alone, I can conclude that hormones may help with my long term health goals. So, why would I be disappointed about that? I get to be healthier (by my own willpower and practice, of course) *and* live how I want. Sounds like a real bummer for sure.... :P......so why the hell would I be worried that my midlife crisis will be wanting to go back to the way I was? Seems way too far in the future for any thought about it to really be productive anyways.

Does any of this make sense? I suppose it may be true that I'm starting to pick up on the fact that the physical appearance I have now can never be obtained again. Perhaps that will indeed be something to mourn over. But, grief is temporary, and I know how to deal with it. And if I do decide I made a mistake later on....I dont think it will be such a catastrophy. At worst, I can de-transition, and I've read about many folks who've done this that are perfectly happy with themselves.

So anyway, that is my long-winded description of the doubt that keeps barring me from transitioning. Thank you for taking time to read it. Can anyone relate to this?

Hugs,

-<3 Hannah

P.S. Re-reading this post for edits, it's clear to me that what I'm experiencing is Cognitive Dissonance, or maybe more specifically, "buyer's remorse." But I've experienced this before too, so will try to handle it the way I normally do. And, the trick with any Cognitive Dissonance for me is to recognize that it may never resolve itself, and put my energy into facing the feelings.
  •  

Kirsteneklund7

I really think is possible to stay on HRT and do nothing drastic ie no surgeries. If it doesnt feel right after a year or so then stop. If your reproductive plans are accomodated- no problem.

Breasts are permanent  but you can choose to see them as a gift or curse.

Stopping HRT restarts the masculisation process again - chances are you will pass 100% male.

Time on HRT will prove one way or the other.

Kind regards, Kirsten.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

As a child prayed to be a girl- now the prayer is being answered - 40 years later !
  •  

dee82

Quote from: Hannah_Celeste on December 05, 2018, 12:45:42 AM
It is just a voice (part of me) that says, very loudly, "You'll regret it eventually. You'll never be able to go back to the way you were and there will be a time where you'll really wish you hadn't changed. Just wait for mid-life. This is what your midlife crisis will be and it will be extremely painful. You won't pass, and they'll be no going back. This will torment you, and you'll think about all the good things that could've been if you'd stayed as a boy."

Wtf, brain? Right? I can't help but hear my father's voice in those words, so right now I'm going to stick with the theory that the doubt is insecurity about what my family will think of my decision. This can be worked on, anyway.

Hannah, that part really stands out to me, you emphasise it yourself. To me it is the key. You say this can be worked on, and that is true. The power parents voices or expectations have over me can be greater that I realise. Even when I say I will not be like my parents, i find myself being like them in unexpected ways.

As you say, facing the feelings with your gender therapist is probably the key.

Can I relate to your thinking/feelings? Not really, but (other than telling people) I haven't yet done anything that has resulted in physical changes that cannot be reversed.

I like to think I won't get buyers remorse, but who knows? Right now I feel very supported. But if that support was to evaporate, I might feel very differently.

~Dee.
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Certainly a lot of thought of this prior to medical transition (mtf hrt with estrogen) is wise.
Ideally one goes into medical transition thinking she is a woman and has no plans to revert to the body that does not fit her female gender after starting mtf HRT.  Female surgeries do not necessarily have to be in her future plans to start mtf HRT, but being sure of transforming your body with HRT because you are a woman seems like a must before starting HRT.

After you start HRT though it seems natural to think about the future.  If you later think that it is no longer wise to continue, it may make no sense to continue HRT.

One may second guess a lot of things in life.  The results of some decisions may be harder to change than others.  Life is not simple, ramifications of our actions occur.  Consult wise people to help you think things out as needed.

I have heard of some people saying that they will "just try out mtf HRT and I will see what happens," with no commitment as mentioned above before starting.  I am not sure that happens in reality very often, but maybe that happens more than I think and is allowed in medical and therapy supervised situations.

Chrissy

Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Maid Marion

You don't even have to wait for HRT!  You can learn to talk like a girl before taking any hormones and it will greatly help in passing.  You can also change your walk slightly, though it is best not to overdo it like a model on a runway.

The percentage of older guys with man boobs is actually quite high at 65%
https://www.uptodate.com/contents/gynecomastia-breast-enlargement-in-men-beyond-the-basics

With only diet and exercise, and perhaps good genetics, to achieve a perfectly passable 32-26-32 figure. I'm in better shape than when I was in my 20s, 30s, or 40s! ;D  And my doctor thinks so too, as she just wants me to continue whatever I'm doing.
  •  

Devlyn

Quote from: Hannah_Celeste on December 05, 2018, 12:45:42 AM
Can anyone relate to this? Warning, this a long post.

**TLDR: I'm worried I'll have crippling regrets during midlife about transitioning, because I wont ever be able to get the body I have now back, and this seems to be what's been keeping me from going forward with transition. Wondering if anyone can relate.**

The reason I've stopped the transition process and started again more than once now is because some sort of doubt I can barely describe surfaces whenever I think about what the long term future will be like. I'm going to ask my counselor about this, but I thought perhaps folks here might be able to relate.

After talking with people here for a week or so, my mindset has been slowing evolving to yield a degree of comfort and excitement about transitioning I've never experienced. It's great! My latest revelation is that is living as a girl will feel so gosh darn good, the costs will be extremely worth it, even if I don't pass. Seriously, I feel like realizing this is a huge milestone in my personal development. BUT, it makes the odd, out-of place, doubt I feel even more frustrating. Again, this is why I keep chickening out. Let me try to describe it....

I think about the near future first when I reflect on everything, then what it might be like during transition, then my mind wanders to a few year's down the road, then finally to when I'm old and feeble and still living as a woman. *This* is when the doubt sets in. It is just a voice (part of me) that says, very loudly, "You'll regret it eventually. You'll never be able to go back to the way you were and there will be a time where you'll really wish you hadn't changed. Just wait for mid-life. This is what your midlife crisis will be and it will be extremely painful. You won't pass, and they'll be no going back. This will torment you, and you'll think about all the good things that could've been if you'd stayed as a boy."

Wtf, brain? Right? I can't help but hear my father's voice in those words, so right now I'm going to stick with the theory that the doubt is insecurity about what my family will think of my decision. This can be worked on, anyway. And if I try to manage the doubt directly, I can say a whole lot to assuage it, like:

1) Estrogen may help with my RA. Why the hell would extra help managing autoimmunity be a bad thing? *Especially* long term? I realize E can also increase auto-immunity, but my physician has said she expects it to at least help the arthritus component.
2) Because of the health issues I already have, and because the long-term risks of these can be increased by hormone therapy, transition may actually motivate me to take even better care of myself than I do now. I also read that keeping solid diet and exercise habits is recommended for anyone doing hormone therapy. Therefore, I anticipate I'll be motivated to improve my habits, which has already been happening for a long time anyway. I'm even upping my routine already in anticipation of starting hrt and looking in to a special diet for autoimmune dieseases.

Based on these points alone, I can conclude that hormones may help with my long term health goals. So, why would I be disappointed about that? I get to be healthier (by my own willpower and practice, of course) *and* live how I want. Sounds like a real bummer for sure.... :P......so why the hell would I be worried that my midlife crisis will be wanting to go back to the way I was? Seems way too far in the future for any thought about it to really be productive anyways.

Does any of this make sense? I suppose it may be true that I'm starting to pick up on the fact that the physical appearance I have now can never be obtained again. Perhaps that will indeed be something to mourn over. But, grief is temporary, and I know how to deal with it. And if I do decide I made a mistake later on....I dont think it will be such a catastrophy. At worst, I can de-transition, and I've read about many folks who've done this that are perfectly happy with themselves.

So anyway, that is my long-winded description of the doubt that keeps barring me from transitioning. Thank you for taking time to read it. Can anyone relate to this?

Hugs,

-<3 Hannah

P.S. Re-reading this post for edits, it's clear to me that what I'm experiencing is Cognitive Dissonance, or maybe more specifically, "buyer's remorse." But I've experienced this before too, so will try to handle it the way I normally do. And, the trick with any Cognitive Dissonance for me is to recognize that it may never resolve itself, and put my energy into facing the feelings.

Everything you've mentioned is what you work out internally or with a gender therapist before starting medications or surgery. Your "revelation" that living as a woman is going to feel so gosh darn good raised my eyebrows. It isn't all peaches and cream for women. In any event, you don't need doctors to try it. Give it a whirl and see how you like it.
  •  

Alice (nym)

QuoteIt isn't all peaches and cream for women. In any event, you don't need doctors to try it. Give it a whirl and see how you like it.
That's what my wife told me, I replied, it is even harder for a transwoman. So she asked why I wanted to do it?  Because I can't stop it anymore.

OP, yes, I have fears too. I won't pass, I will have a lifetime of wigs, will I be who I want to be?, am I too old for all this?, will my daughter reject me?, will my wife stay or go?, will people attack me?, can I cope with the abuse? What will my family think? etc. etc.

And on top of that, what will the pain levels be?  electrolysis (the curse of red and fair hair), GRS, Will I be able to overcome my phobia of bloodtests and needles? It all adds to fear.

But as people keep saying to me... your dreams lie on the other side of fear. 
Don't hate the hate... Start spreading the love.
  •  

pamelatransuk

Hello again HannahCeleste

I think we all have doubts even after therapy advice is to start HRT. You may need HRT for reasons other than trans anyway. As you may see, I am 10 months HRT.

Technically I suppose I was "exploring" at the start of HRT although I definitely knew I wanted it. Shortly after, my thinking and concentration improved and I felt inner peace. Within 3 months I knew I had been correct as I could feel I was on "the right fuel". Physical changes are slower; although I had breast buds after 3 months, I developed actual breasts only after 8 months. I intend to publicly transition in 2019.

Incidentally we have many Susans Members permanently on low dose HRT without publicly transitioning.

My advice to you is to explore but from your summary it appears to me that after exploring, you will determine that HRT is correct for you.

I wish you every success whichever route you choose to take.

Hugs

Pamela

•  

Linde

I probably can address your fears how it is to be an older trans woman.  It is great, I wish I would have transitioned many, many years earlier and would have had a chance to live many more years in my desired gender roll!
Like most older persons, i have a certain number of health conditions (my biggest problem is Type II diabetes, which I had long before I even knew I wanted to be a woman full time), but because of this, and because of the fact that I want to be a good looking woman, even though I am older, I watch my diet very carefully and do a lot of exercise and physical activities!  And because of this, I think that I am in a way better health condition than many of my cis male and cis female peers!  In fact, I can easily keep up with some of my friends who are more than 20 years younger than I!

There is no reason that one is feeble once one gets old, as long as one takes care of oneself, and does not allow the mindset to come up that one is old and feeble!
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

Hannah_Celeste

Thanks everyone so much for the awesome feedback on this! And listening to my honest and genuine concerns and feelings. I'm actually going to reply to each of you below:

@Kristeneklund7 I will do some more research on that! Honestly, my biggest fear that I understand is that I'll decide it isn't right due to social isolation, then have to go get breast-reduction surgery or something like that to pass as a man again. But, from what you're saying, it sounds like the permanent breast tissue may be more manageable than I thought. So, perhaps it isn't something I really need to worry about. I'll read about it more.

@dee82 It's good know you can relate to the parent thing, as I think most of us can, even though it's not necessarily a pleasant thing to face, and it's something we will be dealing with probably our entire lives. I feel like I have faced so much of it, this is something that ought not be a concern. I know what you mean about buyer's remorse. The reality of it is, I think, anything can change, including our feelings, at any time, and we can't always predict when that will happen. I do not think anything is permanent.

@ChrissyRyan Your post really made me review my motivations for going forward, and that is a very good thing. Thank you. I've been studying this since I was a kid. But, since I was never really serious about moving forward until now, there is still a LOT I don't know and much more research left to do (especially considering a lot has changed in the last decade). As far as thinking about it goes, I feel like I've been thinking about it since I was 14, and I am almost 100% certain it's the direction I wish to head. That said, you may be right that working through my doubts as much as possible before proceeding anyway is still wise. I am certainly going to make this the main topic of discussion with my therapist in the coming weeks and going forward. I've spent many hours in therapy with the topic, but I still don't feel like my doubts are resolved as much as I'd like them to be.  I think there is a point though where a degree of doubt is inevitable as with any big life decision. I'm also planning to reach out to a support group here in the city I live in to meet in person with others. And, with the testing things out in a supervised environment, my doctor here in the US allows for that, though you have to be more serious than just experimenting. And I think, it needs to be extremely clear HRT is likely to benefit you. Thanks for your thoughts!

@Maid Marion It sounds like we're sort of on the same page with the diet and exercise! Good for you! And that's a good suggestion. I've been doing voice training for the last 7 weeks and it is going quite well, and I've tried the walk, too. You do not know (or might, ha ha) how tempting it is to just break out into my feminine walk all the time...but..alas..I am afraid of how others will react :(.

@Devlyn I agree that's an ideal position to be in, and I'd like to be. But, I don't think it's a requirement for medications at least where I live. Or perhaps, my doctor just has a different philosophy. You do have to prove that HRT is extremely likely to help you, though, and be talking to a therapist. After reading comments and reviewing my post, I think the main concern for me is just not passing and fear of how others will see me. I do not see any reason not to move forward despite this doubt, though. What are the main concerns of doing so, in your experience, if any? The fact that I want to live as a woman is not in question for me. I think, again, the only reason I I'm worried I'll regret it is because of the impact i'm concerned it may have on my social life, which I've worked very hard to improve already. I realize this probably isn't rational, but does that make sense? My saying I know it will feel really darn good is based on, as you suggested, years of trying it :), though in isolated, irregular instances (cross-dressing, voice training) and not on an ongoing basis. I may take your suggestion and try to work up the courage to do it continuously though asap. I know it isn't all peaches and cream and didn't mean to communicate that that's how I view it. I am hoping that the positive feelings, increased relaxation and comfort with myself will outweigh any additional difficulty. And I'm confident that will be the case, based on my experience so far. But if these doubts about passing and social isolation, ideally, need to be resolved before continuing, I have a lot more thinking to do, and that's ok. Your comments are very helpful to me, thank you.

@Alice (nym) That's pretty much how I feel! I am really tired of feeling the incredibly strong desire to transition, then convincing myself it isn't right, then going through that cycle all over again later. It will just keep happening, and I'm tired of it. Ah yes! That's such a good saying, and I think, again, fears are inevitable. This doesn't mean you ought not to pursue your dreams.

@pamelatransuk Yep, that's very similar to where I'm at with it now, what you just described. I'm 100% sure it's right for me, just have the jitters about social isolation, which, I didn't realize until after writing my op. And you're probably right, I'll experience similar things and decide without a doubt to continue. Good luck to you as well! And thanks for the good vibes!

@Dietlind Yes! Thanks for sharing, you did! Ha ha. I love what you said about feeble being a mindset. I've experienced this. So, you can sort of relate to the auto-immune thing, it sounds like. It is really good to hear that all of this manageable with diet and exercise, and confirms what I've been thinking about it. Good for you! I am really glad to hear all of that.

Wow. I'm very grateful for all of your support, and being willing to listen to my long-winded ruminating xD. Seems like the next steps are to address my fears head on with my therapist, consider going ahead and living as a woman now, reach out to support groups in person, and keep moving forward.

I hope to continue getting to know you all :). Have a good week!

-<3 Hannah
  •