Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Dr Helen Webberley

Started by Megan., December 03, 2018, 05:35:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Megan.

It's the saddest thing to see medical professionals attacking one of the very very few who provide genuine help & assistance to us in the UK.

How did I get here? An open letter from Dr Helen Webberley

I wish Helen the best of luck for today. X
  •  

Kirsteneklund7

What an outrage! I dont think this would have happened in Australia. I hope not anyway. Surely there are grounds for appeal. This could be a really bad precedent to set. People will definately choose the black market route if alternatives to the National Scheme are shut down.

What can we do to help here?

Very angry, Kirsten.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

As a child prayed to be a girl- now the prayer is being answered - 40 years later !
  •  

Nina

Sad 😞
Reminds me of my former endo, Dr. Norman Barwin.
Dr. Barwin, moved from South Africa to Canada. One late night while working the night shift at a hospital in Ottawa, a trans person showed up on the front steps suffering from bleeding. The person had attempted to give themself GRS...which obviously went bad, I can only imagine the torment and dysphoria that would cause someone to do that.
Anyways, Dr. Barwin was so taken aback from this, he dedicated the next couple decades working with trans folks. He was shunned by the medical community.
He was my endo for three years, but sadly his story didn't end well. He ran a fertility clinic in addition to his practice, and dozens of people had their samples mixed up. He lost his medical licence.
I miss him. He told me a story once and showed me pics of when Nelson Mandela invited him to tea. Dr. Barwin was a protester when Mandela was in prison, and years later Mandela invited him to thank him.
2007/8 - name change, tracheal shave, electrolysis, therapy
2008 - full time
2014 - GCS Dr. Brassard; remarried
2018 (January)  - hubby and I moved off-grid
2019 - plan originally was to hike PCT in 2020, but now attempting Appalachian Trail - start date April 3.
  •  

Michelle_P

Honestly, it appears the country is going through a bout of trans-related insanity that surpasses even the current USA trends.  I hope it is temporary, and I fervently hope that Dr. Webberly is cleared of this bureaucratic nonsense and allowed to practice.
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

Megan.

Quote from: Michelle_P on December 03, 2018, 02:55:29 PM
Honestly, it appears the country is going through a bout of trans-related insanity that surpasses even the current USA trends.  I hope it is temporary, and I fervently hope that Dr. Webberly is cleared of this bureaucratic nonsense and allowed to practice.

The UK is (in my experience) a VERY positive and accepting place. Just as I've found in the US this year, in Germany, France, Spain and even Poland too.

The NHS has however always lagged behind in both quality and timely delivery of the agreed best care for trans* people.

The side effect of having what is generally a great national health service, is a very anemic private alternative able to handle the emerging demand for trans* care.

The GenderGP site has reported that both Helen and the business were subject to fines, but hopefully they can now move forward. [emoji3526]

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

•