Main Menu

Teacher fired for refusing to use transgender student's pronouns

Started by itsApril, December 10, 2018, 02:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itsApril

Teacher fired for refusing to use transgender student's pronouns

Dec. 10, 2018 / 8:01 AM PST
By Associated Press

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/teacher-fired-refusing-use-transgender-student-s-pronouns-n946006

WEST POINT, Va. — A Virginia high school teacher who refused to use a transgender student's new pronouns has been fired.  News outlets report that the West Point School Board voted unanimously Thursday to dismiss Peter Vlaming after a four-hour hearing that drew an overflow crowd. The school system said in a statement that Vlaming was fired for insubordination.

Over the summer, the ninth-grade student's family informed the school system of the student's gender transition to male. The student wasn't involved in Thursday's hearing.

Witnesses described a "slip-up" when the student was about to run into a wall and Vlaming told others to stop "her." When discussing the incident with administrators, Vlaming made it clear he would not use male pronouns, a stance that led to his suspension referral for disciplinary action.

"I can't think of a worse way to treat a child than what was happening," said West Point High Principal Jonathan Hochman, who testified that he told Vlaming to use male pronouns in accordance with the student's wishes.

Vlaming told superiors that his Christian faith prevented him from using male pronouns for the student. Vlaming said he had the student in class the year before when the student identified as female.

Nondiscrimination policies were updated a year ago to include protections for gender identity, but didn't include guidance on gender pronoun use, according to Vlaming's lawyer, Voyles, who notes Vlaming has constitutional rights.

"One of those rights that is not curtailed is to be free from being compelled to speak something that violates your conscience," Voyles said.

Vlaming said he loves and respects all his students but when a solution he tried to reach based on "mutual tolerance" was rejected, he was at risk of losing his job for having views held by "most of the world for most of human history."

"That is not tolerance," Vlaming said. "That is coercion."

Vlaming is considering a legal appeal, but said he wants to consult with his attorney before announcing further steps.

"I have to research how we would do that, what that would entail," Vlaming said. "I do think it's a serious question of First Amendment rights."
-April
  •  

NatalieRene

•  

Michelle_P

"I have to research how we would do that, what that would entail," Vlaming said. "I do think it's a serious question of First Amendment rights."

What a remarkably foolish thing to say.  Freedom of speech does not imply freedom from consequences.  The teacher chose his freedom to insult another over his following professional standards and civil behavior.
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

Jessica

Quote from: Michelle_P on December 10, 2018, 07:22:22 PM
What a remarkably foolish thing to say.  Freedom of speech does not imply freedom from consequences.  The teacher chose his freedom to insult another over his following professional standards and civil behavior.

Exactly Michelle!  He kept his right to choose, even though he knew he would lose his job.  That was his freedom in action, and now it's the want ads he's free to read.

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

NatalieRene

Quote from: Jessica on December 10, 2018, 08:13:01 PM
Exactly Michelle!  He kept his right to choose, even though he knew he would lose his job.  That was his freedom in action, and now it's the want ads he's free to read.
Good luck finding a job too after that public showing of no remorse. It's not like another school would touch him with a ten foot pole now. He threw his career away. He should start practicing a new phrase, "would you like fries with that?"
  •  

warlockmaker

This is not a victory to gloat about. The hearing was packed with people and we have made more enemies. Public hearings are great for the ego but only instill greater hate. I believe had a more considerate aporoach been taken we could have won hearts. We were all once men with an ego, force us to do something in public and we often take a stupid stance. Instead of patting ourselves on the back for our own egos we should look for a harmonious solution.
When we first start our journey the perception and moral values all dramatically change in wonderment. As we evolve further it all becomes normal again but the journey has changed us forever.

SRS January 21st,  2558 (Buddhist calander), 2015
  •  

NatalieRene

Quote from: warlockmaker on December 10, 2018, 09:04:06 PM
This is not a victory to gloat about. The hearing was packed with people and we have made more enemies. Public hearings are great for the ego but only instill greater hate. I believe had a more considerate aporoach been taken we could have won hearts. We were all once men with an ego, force us to do something in public and we often take a stupid stance. Instead of patting ourselves on the back for our own egos we should look for a harmonious solution.
I would agree but he was obviously warned numerous times. He had his opertunity. In the male pecking order its a domance thing and he refused to back down and fought the alpha and lost. The repercussions of his choices are entirely his own doing.

I'm doubly angered by him because not only is he a bigot but he attempts to mask it by veiling himself with a holier then thou attitude. Christianity says absolutely nothing about being trans. The typical quote this type of person uses is mistranslated from a man shirking from his duty to defend his county when he is physically able. It has nothing to do with stoning gay people or people like us that are trapped in bodies non congruent with our minds.

If there had to be an example I'm glad it was someone like him. Religious freedom doesn't extend to refusing to treat someone with dignity. What's more a Christian should have showed empathy and compassion and at least tried to follow Jesus 's example.

I understand if it was slips. It happens at first but this was repeated and deliberate.

He hung himself.  Now we use the carrot on the others.
  •  

Michelle_P

You should be aware that about a third of the population in this country is ideologically opposed to our existence.  The kinder and more understanding folks have backed proposals to legally declare being transgender a mental illness, and to bring back involuntary committment, either by relatives, or through the courts.  There is also a harsher segment of the population that prefers internment and termination of transgender persons, along the lines of Akition T4, when polled anonymously.

As a simple example, take a look at what George Godwyn found with a little experiment.

There really is no instant harmonious solution.

It is a matter of time, more than one generation worth, with many of us being out and seen in the population and others learning that we are in fact just people, fellow human beings, and not a threat.  Eventually this should lead to hateful behavior and expression being regarded as unacceptible behavior, causing it to become less visible.

I do not expect it to ever vanish within Western culture, as there are elements of the culture that see privilege as a zero-sum game, encouraging marginalization of groups by visibly identifiable characteristics such as race, ethnicity, religious markers, gender markers, and so on.   We can hope to make the vast majority of people accepting of our existence.

I do not think that permitting intolerant behavior within our educational system will improve overall acceptance and tolerance.

"It is pointless to pretend that our society is not set up to prioritize cis people's needs and comforts over our basic right to declare our existence."
- Samantha Riedel
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

dee82

We were all once men with an ego, force us to do something in public and we often take a stupid stance. Instead of patting ourselves on the back for our own egos we should look for a harmonious solution.

Warlockmaker, I find this an unhelpful generalisation to make.

Who are all these men you are referring to? What do you know of my of any other trans persons ego? I know women and men with big egos. Ego and stupidity has nothing to do with gender. Being incorrectly raised as a male does not mean taking on all the traits of machismo.

Please don't talk for me with your we statements.

~Dee.
  •  

Cindy

That is enough arguing thank you.

Let us acknowledge cultural differences that exist on this Forum and try to discuss things in an open manner.

I shall lock this thread for a while for people to cool down

Cindy
  •