Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Hair transplants - declaring gender on first procedure?

Started by Jeanne, December 12, 2018, 03:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeanne

First steps.  I plan to have my first round of transplants sometime in the next two months.  When I first contacted doctors, I didn't mention transitioning.  Would declaring a gender really matter for what it almost certain to be a first procedure of two or more?

I'd rather not risk invoking WPATH protocols, letters, etc, and maybe paying a higher fee when I have a fair amount of thinning area that just needs to be filled back in regardless of my final hairline.

Beyond that, hair seems to be something that is done well by many.  I'd like to hear if travel matters.
  •  

Megan.

When I had my transplants done in Turkey, it was pre-transition and I was not on any medication,  so I did not declare my gender identity and presented male for the weekend. I do not think (feel free the correct me) that knowledge of your identity is relevant UNLESS you are having your hairline done - in which case it's very relevant as this is where significant differences arise. I only had transplants to my crown, so it was not a factor.
There are only a finite amount of follicular units available, to maximise the benefit you should have them placed next to suit your preferred/intended gender identity.

I flew back from Istanbul to London the next day after my procedure without any obvious negative effect. This was very common for their patients so seemingly not an issue as long as you keep the new follicles hydrated. X

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk
  •  

Jeanne

Thanks, Megan.  I think that I'm looking at it in much the same way as you did.  This go round will probably be for the maximum number of transplants, with follow up later.

It's true, we only have so many follicles.  Are there huge variations in yield from clinic to clinic?  I am kind of living in the country and don't have a good place to go for recommendations.
  •  

HappyMoni

Jeanne,
   Hi, welcome to the site. My name is Moni. I had a hair transplant with Dr. Jerry Cooley in Charlotte, NC.  I was very happy with them. He said there are a lot of people out there who have no idea what they are doing transplanting hair. He said there were about 5 in the country that he would trust. I trust him after my result and the way I was treated. I know others who have had good results there too. My hair was done in units of 1,2, or 4 hairs. There was no look of having plugs, just natural hair growth. My scar was complimented by another doctor's office when they took out the stitches. It was really hard to find.  In my experience, they knew I was trans and it made absolutely no difference. I was misgendered once at the intake and I pointed it out. They warm heartedly apologized and everyone was respectful and kind. I fall on the side of being upfront with your gender so they can judge what to do. There is just so much donor material and you want to do it right from the start. Good luck. Happy to answer any questions.
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

Dena

I haven't had hair transplants however it might be a good idea to tell the doctors your transitioning. The reason is male and female hairlines differ so for the best results the doctor needs to know what your ultimate goal is. You shouldn't need any additional paper work as the only difference in the procedure is where the line is placed.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Jeanne

Thanks for the referral, Moni.  I will keep Dr Cooley on the short list.  I'm sure that I will have questions later.

Dena, you bring up a good point, it's best to have the plan out there at the start (Besides... hiding did get me where I am today. :) )
  •  

Megan.

Quote from: Jeanne on December 12, 2018, 04:07:28 PM
Thanks, Megan.  I think that I'm looking at it in much the same way as you did.  This go round will probably be for the maximum number of transplants, with follow up later.

The total no. of transplants is finite, you don't grow more. I was told by my clinic that I personally had about 6k follicular units available (before the donor site would itself get too thin). Of these I had 4.5k transplanted to my crown - leaving 1500 for possible use on my hairline in future.

If i have FFS in future though,  having met with Facial Team,  with their coronal incision,  they can harvest follicles that would otherwise be wasted, without going back to my original donor site (back & sides).

There are several clinics in Istanbul; I went with one of the largest, and I am happy with the result.

Make sure to do your research and understand the different options FUE vs FUT. X

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk
  •