Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Physical manifestations of gender dysphoria?

Started by Sarah77, December 09, 2018, 03:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarah77

Do any of you get any physical symptoms when you are auffering dysphoria?

I have one that only started acutely when I resumed therapy about a year ago.

I get narky a few days beforehand, then get tension in my lower spine and my chest.
Then I get the weirdest, uncomfortable, uncontrollable feeling. I just can't 'be' comfortable, painfully so.

I usually go into a toilet cubicle and try and focus on something else.It is really bizarre..it isnt a panic attack - all sense are intact. It is just like my spirit ir trying to jump out, is only way I can describe it.
  •  

Dena

Any strong emotions can cause physical symptoms. It could feel like a heart attack, stomach discomfort, illness, feeling sleepy and a number of other symptoms. Therapy is the primary treatment however if the symptoms are serious, you might be prescribed something that will help you deal with the emotions until your farther along. Discus this with your therapist and see what can be done to help you.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Sarah77

Quote from: Dena on December 09, 2018, 08:09:26 PM
Any strong emotions can cause physical symptoms. It could feel like a heart attack, stomach discomfort, illness, feeling sleepy and a number of other symptoms. Therapy is the primary treatment however if the symptoms are serious, you might be prescribed something that will help you deal with the emotions until your farther along. Discus this with your therapist and see what can be done to help you.

thank you. it manifests when the catch 22 reality crystallizes and the lack of fairytale endings!
  •  

Kirsteneklund7

Hi Sarah,
                 I know what that feels like. I often had a rat eating my guts before HRT. Relief invoved cross dressing & prior to 2016 - drinking too much.

There was a self harm issue I have thankfully overcome due to HRT & gender counseling.

Another manifestation was actual mini panic attacts where a short lived burst of fear & anxiety caused me to stop, catch my  breath, rationalise nothing was wrong and move on.
Tightness in my chest & abdomen was a thing while a cycle of dysphoria was going on.

If the situation is causing you some grief - there are answers and treatment!.

Wishing you best success with the journey!

Kirsten.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

As a child prayed to be a girl- now the prayer is being answered - 40 years later !
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Some days I just cannot focus well because of gender dysphoria.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Lisa89125

Lately I have been feeling the same most days. Can't focus on anything for very long. I also tend to have mini freak out episodes when the painful reality sets in. Then I end up questioning whether I am doing the right thing or not?

These episodes suck.  :(

Lisa

"My inner self knows better than my outer self my true gender"

Not yet quite ready to post my real self.
  •  

VickyS

In my case I ended up with the symptoms of fibromyalgia.  Severe fatigue, joint pain in virtually all my joints and really bad memory loss.  So bad that once I could not remember my sister's name and once I stalled my car and could not remember how to drive.  It was affecting my job so my wife insisted I went to a memory clinic who confirmed I had a bad memory!  I also didn't know I was depressed until my boss told me to see my GP about my depression and when I got there I told her about feeling like a girl inside.  THE SAME DAY those symptoms started to evaporate as I felt a huge relief after telling someone.  When I eventually saw a psychiatrist he said my body was shutting down due to having severe depression!  So, the dysphoria was causing the depression which was causing my body to shut down.
Came out to self: mid Oct 17                   Last haircut: 3rd Nov 17       
Came out to wife: 17th Jan 18                 Therapy started: 1st Mar 18
Electrolysis started: 10th Apr 18              Referred to GIC: 16th May 18
  •  

IzzyM

At the moment my dysphoria is quite bad and I can't focus at work I get knots in my tummy and very short tempered with the rest of my family. It always seems to be worse at this time of year. Does anyone else get seasonal dysphoria?
It isn't hard at all to make a wish. The difficultly lies in how to make what you wish for a reality
  •  

pamelatransuk

Quote from: Sarah77 on December 09, 2018, 03:53:53 PM
Do any of you get any physical symptoms when you are auffering dysphoria?

I have one that only started acutely when I resumed therapy about a year ago.

I get narky a few days beforehand, then get tension in my lower spine and my chest.
Then I get the weirdest, uncomfortable, uncontrollable feeling. I just can't 'be' comfortable, painfully so.

I usually go into a toilet cubicle and try and focus on something else.It is really bizarre..it isnt a panic attack - all sense are intact. It is just like my spirit ir trying to jump out, is only way I can describe it.

Hello Sarah

Yes Sarah. I do sympathise as GD is painful physically aswell as emotionally.

I get chest and stomach discomfort and occasionally a piercing painful dryness in the throat.

HRT has helped to some degree but I am still depressed but not as much as previously.

Wishing you well.

Hugs

Pamela

•  

pamelatransuk

Quote from: IzzyM on December 12, 2018, 07:38:08 AM
At the moment my dysphoria is quite bad and I can't focus at work I get knots in my tummy and very short tempered with the rest of my family. It always seems to be worse at this time of year. Does anyone else get seasonal dysphoria?

Hello Izzy

Yes I have mild SAD myself which adds to the GD. I do not like Nov-Feb because of the constant darkness. I can tolerate the cold but not the dark! This is so depressing.

Wishing you well

Hugs

Pamela

•  

JanePlain

Quote from: Sarah77 on December 10, 2018, 11:34:50 AM
thank you. it manifests when the catch 22 reality crystallizes and the lack of fairytale endings!

I think we've both had the same problems.  Anxiety and depression is something that can be treated so I would go to your doctor and talk it over.  If you don't have a therapist I think checking one out and seeing what they think would be great.  Actually I think just about everyone should check out therapy. 
  •  

JanePlain

Quote from: pamelatransuk on December 13, 2018, 10:14:24 AM
Hello Izzy

Yes I have mild SAD myself which adds to the GD. I do not like Nov-Feb because of the constant darkness. I can tolerate the cold but not the dark! This is so depressing.

Wishing you well

Hugs

Pamela

So true!  My doctor prescribed a SAD light which I really think does help.  These higher latitudes really can suck with the shorter and shorted days, overcast and cold.
  •  

CarlyMcx

I get reflux, chest pains, heart palpitations, TMJ flare ups, and lately really tensed up muscles in my arms and shoulders.  And recently, bladder anxiety.

And before transition, high blood pressure.

I used to think I had SAD but my seasonal issues really were clothing related.  Wearing less clothing in summer meant wearing less men's clothing which was a good thing.

I am really enjoying winter now that I get to wear tights, wool mini skirts, cute pea coats, and cute scarves.

I am sorry if you are feeling poorly from dysphoria. 

Hugs, Carly
  •  

IzzyM

Quote from: pamelatransuk on December 13, 2018, 10:14:24 AM
Hello Izzy

Wishing you well

Hugs

Pamela

Thanks Pamela,

It is always good to know you are not the only one, doesn't stop me feeling bad, but it makes me a bit stronger.

Maybe we should join the swallows and fly south for the winter.

Hugs

Izzy
It isn't hard at all to make a wish. The difficultly lies in how to make what you wish for a reality
  •