News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Podcast: The Science of Being Transgender

Started by Paige, December 15, 2018, 01:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paige

Hi All,

Wondering what you think about this podcast.  Seems like a nice little synopsis.

https://www.gimletmedia.com/science-vs/the-science-of-being-transgender#episode-player

Recently we've been hearing a lot about transgender identity. That made us wonder... what makes us the gender that we are? And what should you do if your kid doesn't fit the mold? To find out, we talked with endocrinologist Dr. Joshua Safer, psychologist Dr. Laura Edwards-Leeper, and psychologist Dr. Colt Keo-Meier.

Paige :)
  •  

Stevi

I was pleased with it.  It covers the essentials of the transgender question with accurate information for those who are unacquainted.

Stevi
  •  

Paige

Quote from: Stevi on December 15, 2018, 10:28:31 PM
I was pleased with it.  It covers the essentials of the transgender question with accurate information for those who are unacquainted.

Stevi

Thanks Stevi,  that's what I was thinking.  This would be a good place to send family and friends if they're new to all of this.

•  

Stevi

Paige,

I put the link on my Facebook page with some comment from me to intro it.

Stevi
  •  

Paige

Quote from: Stevi on December 16, 2018, 10:17:57 PM
Paige,

I put the link on my Facebook page with some comment from me to intro it.

Stevi

:):)
  •  

Lisa_K

I've finally had time to sit down and have a listen to this. Thanks Paige for bringing this to our attention.

I made notes and recorded some of my observations and criticisms as I listened but generally approved the way it was presented and the content and ignored my jangled nerves at some of the editing that sounded much like when someone is being taken out of context. What I personally found interesting were the 136 linked citations listed on the written transcript page. I love finding links to new papers and information and am still working my way through things I didn't already have or haven't seen before. It does appear the presenter did her research.

I've decided to withhold all of comments I had written. I am typically critical of this type of thing and while I generally liked the podcast and thought it was reasonably well done, I'm sure some of my observations would be controversial. One was anecdotal talking about my own experience as a trans child and adolescent but I've talked about myself enough here lately and the whole thing in its entirety turned out to be another of my TL:DR productions.
  •  

Paige

Quote from: Lisa_K on December 18, 2018, 05:13:04 PM
I've finally had time to sit down and have a listen to this. Thanks Paige for bringing this to our attention.

I made notes and recorded some of my observations and criticisms as I listened but generally approved the way it was presented and the content and ignored my jangled nerves at some of the editing that sounded much like when someone is being taken out of context. What I personally found interesting were the 136 linked citations listed on the written transcript page. I love finding links to new papers and information and am still working my way through things I didn't already have or haven't seen before. It does appear the presenter did her research.

I've decided to withhold all of comments I had written. I am typically critical of this type of thing and while I generally liked the podcast and thought it was reasonably well done, I'm sure some of my observations would be controversial. One was anecdotal talking about my own experience as a trans child and adolescent but I've talked about myself enough here lately and the whole thing in its entirety turned out to be another of my TL:DR productions.

Thanks Lisa, always good to hear your input. :)

•