Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Anyone on hrt but not transitioning?

Started by Erin1.618, December 22, 2018, 01:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnneK

Quote from: AJ on February 06, 2019, 09:05:34 AM
I am 65 and not transitioning fully.
Just growing my hair a few inches and keeping a nicely trimmed beard.
My daughter-in-law is a hairdresser and she has been very helpful.
I've been on HRT for 14 months and had my orchie three weeks ago to get away from spiro.
My breasts are nice (Measure 38C) but I would like them to be just a little bigger.

I'm also 65, but haven't started HRT yet, though I have an appointment booked with an endocrinologist.  I'm glad to see you're a 38C, as I had worries about how much I'd grow at my age.  I am already a 38A though.

You certainly are one of the lucky ones, with your family.
I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.
  •  

Kirsteneklund7

Quote from: Karen on February 05, 2019, 07:29:17 PM
Thanks. 

I meant wanting to understand and experience the emotional aspects of estrogen / hrt.   

I started estrogen yesterday...new life begins. 

Karen
Please share what it is like as you go. I found it was like feeling things in 3D for the first time. I also binged on poetry and found much of it packed a whallop!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

As a child prayed to be a girl- now the prayer is being answered - 40 years later !
  •  

Chloe

Quote from: BlueJaye on January 08, 2019, 10:44:37 PM
I feel like I am hijacking the thread, but I do want to ask you about concealing your breasts when presenting as male.

@BlueJaye not a highjack at all kinda the whole point isn't it? As long as you practice good taste and do not deliberately draw attention to yourself then absolutely nobody is going to care or call you out, take notice. Avoid tee-shirts, tight sweaters, thin material shirts (where a bra might obviously show through) and people will eventually get the idea that "something is up with you" but, hopefully by that time, other body congruencies would have also kicked in as well.
         Nice head but no body hair (Casodex helps), clean shaven, trimmed nails can be small things that people can notice but, never messing with the potential embarrassment of "makeup", if ya know someone who can assist then go for it! I run every day with a tough crowd of pre-school mothers and get nothing but smiles, small chat and pleasantries . . . Self-confidence in yourself is key I much prefer to be regarded as a "girlish guy" than a "man in dress" social transition doesn't 'ave to be an instant either/or, "black and white" and people will eventually get the idea of what feels just right for you!
"But it's no use now," thought poor Alice, "to pretend be two people!
"Why, there's hardly enough of me left to make one respectable person!"
  •  

natasha

I haven't transitioned mainly due to family, mortgage, etc..... (my wife and kids know though). Anyway, I have been on hormones for almost 10 years now and had an orchi 8 years ago. So, yes it is possible and yes it does work even with long hairs (past my shoulders now).
  •  

mm

I assume even being on hrt's for 10 yrs you still can hide your chest development.  One does what they need to do to live.
  •  

Mattie02

I started HRT late summer of '18. I asked my doctor for the lowest dose of Spiro & Estrogen as I don't have any plans on fully transitioning. I would say that like most here, I started HRT as a way to help cope with the dysphoric feelings I was having and I can say that it has certainly helped in that regard. Don't get me wrong, if there were no consequenses or other pitfalls, I'd be all in to transition.

After my latest follow-up appointment, I decided to bump up my dosage amounts to the next level. It just felt like it was the right move, and while the dysphoria is still present, I've felt that overall I'm better able to manage it on a daily basis. As far as the physical effects go, I've noticed that I have grown a bit up top (although I've always felt like I've had a bigger than typical chest). I'm wearing a sports bra now for things like cycling, running, and tennis. Emotions seem to be lot more accessable too....meaning I get the "feels" a lot easier than I ever have; watching tv or movie "moments" especially gets me now.

All in all, I'd agree that yes it can be done. HRT can mean a lot of things to a person. I'm still learning that what is right or what works for some people, doesn't necessarly mean it is right or will work for me.
  •  

Toni1

Hi Erin,
I have been on hrt of about a year now and am not transitioning. Maybe because of the hrt I am comfortable with my transgender nature. I have found that as I move at my own pace I don't have much desire to hide my development. In answer to your last question: no I have no increased desire to transition.
  •  

Barri

I could never transition regardless, At 6'8" 250lbs with size 16 feet, nobody will ever see me as anything but a giant he man kind of guy.
I have been on HRT for 15+ years and small B cups go relatively unnoticed as long as I wear looser T-shirts.
Have not had any male underclothes for more than 20 years, and unless it's really hot outside I always wear something soft/pretty beneath my shirts. 
Was on EV sublingual for most of those 15 or so years, got legit prescription in 2017 of EV injectable to go along with the Cypoterone, had to stop everything in Sept when The wife and i bought a house and for the 1st time ever my emotions were out of control. 
All moved in now and back on the injectable,
I can not stand the oily skin, body odor, and just general feelings of malaise from being without Estrogen coursing through my veins.
Lactating when off the HRT was kinda cool though.
Born 1963
Knew I should be female 1972
Grew 18" in single year 1978
Resigned to self that I never will pass regardless, and will always and forever just be seen as a giant dude, but will pursue femme self ID anyway.
started HRT 2002 DIY
Prescribed legitimately 2012
Just going to be me.
  •  

BeckyCNJ

Sorry for the late reply. I've been taking the lowest dose available of E for over a year now. I'm 62 years old have no plans to transition but I've enjoyed the minor changes the hormones have brought.

The biggest effect has been a tingling sensation in my breasts and some minor breast growth. I stopped for a time because my wife noticed the breast development when I was topless but it's so minor I don't think anyone would bat an eyelash seeing me without a shirt at the pool. Since I'm not taking a t-blocker the effects are probably minimized.

There was one other possible minor side effect. During my most recent prostate exam the doctor said there was a bit of a drop in my PSA number which he said might be due to the hormones.
  •  

Gabriel_C

The title of this post called my attention... I read all the replies, but still don't understand what this is about.

Isn't HRT the hormone treatment for transitioning? How can you take hormones and not transition? Your body changes due to the hormones... right? And why would you take hormones if you don't want to transition?

I'm not criticizing. I'm genuinely trying to understand. Never heard about this before. If someone could please explain it to me...
  •  

AnneK

By transition, we mean change fully from one gender to the other.  That is not only take hormones, have surgery, but also change the way you appear to the world.  As an example, I recently started taking HRT, but have no immediate plans to start dressing and going out as a woman.
I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.
  •  

GingerVicki

I've been on HRT MtF for almost 7 months and really have no plan to present female often in the public. It can be said that I am transitioning, but not presenting. Two very different things.
  •  

Dena

Quote from: Gabriel_C on April 20, 2019, 05:58:01 AM
The title of this post called my attention... I read all the replies, but still don't understand what this is about.

Isn't HRT the hormone treatment for transitioning? How can you take hormones and not transition? Your body changes due to the hormones... right? And why would you take hormones if you don't want to transition?

I'm not criticizing. I'm genuinely trying to understand. Never heard about this before. If someone could please explain it to me...
Some people for various reasons are unable to transition. It might be family, work or some other issue but they still have dysphoria. In many cases, HRT will lower testosterone levels and reduce the dysphoria they experience. It may take enough of the edge off that they can function without transitioning. We don't know how long this delaying tactic will work but it has bought members time that can be used to prepare for a transition should it be needed.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Chloe

Quote from: BeckyCNJ on March 11, 2019, 06:03:19 PM. . . my wife noticed the breast development

@BeckyCNJ lol had a similar experience when a gay BFF in High School got very upset demanding "what the . . . "?

Quote from: AnneK on April 20, 2019, 06:02:19 AMI recently started taking HRT, but have no immediate plans to start dressing and going out as a woman.
@Gabriel_C or, alternately as another example, I have been full HRT transitioning (off & on) for the last 30+ years but, like Dena says for "family reasons, I take advantage of the fact that many women dress very similar to males so I don't ever play up the "gender dress" thing (ie: as in wearing dresses or skirts).

People tell me I actually look more feminine with my hair ^up than down so have always, especially with strangers, maintained the plausible deniability of "your bad not mine"!
"But it's no use now," thought poor Alice, "to pretend be two people!
"Why, there's hardly enough of me left to make one respectable person!"
  •  

Gabriel_C

Guys, thank you so much for all the answers.

I thought that once you started hormones, you'd have to keep going... I didn't know you could go on and off of HRT like this.

I also can't transition (financial and social issues, but I hope it changes one day), so I might think about this for myself.
  •  

JamesG

Quote from: Gabriel_C on April 22, 2019, 10:47:15 AM
I thought that once you started hormones, you'd have to keep going... I didn't know you could go on and off of HRT like this.

You can, but its usually not ideal or recommended. Most people want to pass thru transition as fast as they can, producing the most hormone trait expression as possible,  and get to a stable "maintenance" level.  Transition can be... awkward.  If you go "cold turkey" or even to low-dose, your body will revert to its genetic expression, but some stuff like breast development and fat deposition are permanent, which can be a problem.

I am one of those odd-ball non-binary, non-transitioning types. I've been doing very low-dose for ~5 yrs.now. I've done it mostly for the psychological effect/benefits, but even then you do get some expression over time.  Mostly the worst of both worlds lol.  I have to work very hard to keep muscle tone up and weight off. etc. But its nice to have a girlie butt and small boobs that go unnoticed unless I want to show them.
  •  

Gabriel_C

Quote from: JamesG on April 22, 2019, 12:22:55 PM
You can, but its usually not ideal or recommended. Most people want to pass thru transition as fast as they can, producing the most hormone trait expression as possible,  and get to a stable "maintenance" level.  Transition can be... awkward.  If you go "cold turkey" or even to low-dose, your body will revert to its genetic expression, but some stuff like breast development and fat deposition are permanent, which can be a problem.

I am one of those odd-ball non-binary, non-transitioning types. I've been doing very low-dose for ~5 yrs.now. I've done it mostly for the psychological effect/benefits, but even then you do get some expression over time.  Mostly the worst of both worlds lol.  I have to work very hard to keep muscle tone up and weight off. etc. But its nice to have a girlie butt and small boobs that go unnoticed unless I want to show them.

Yeah, I understand why it isn't recommended... Well, honestly, I guess I wouldn't want to stop taking HRT if I started the transition, because in my case I identify as male and wouldn't want people misgendering me.

Man, I love this forum. I've learned so much in this place, after finding out that I had dysphoria. There's so many different people and so many different identities. I'm amazed, honestly.
  •  

JamesG

I enjoy the confused looks on their faces when they can't decide what i am, but I'm weird like that.  >:-)

Yeah it is definitely a very educational experience.  Sometimes confusing when ppl talk past each other when they are looking at the same problem from different perspectives but.... people. lol

•  

natasha

Ive been on hrt for a little over 10 years, and am not "out" in public at all. Im 54 now. So, yes it can be done. At least for me anyway.
  •  

Gabriel_C

So, when you guys are on HRT and not transitioning, do you do it yourselves? I mean, aren't there doctors controlling your hormone levels and all that? Do they allow it?
  •