Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Coming out, anyone surprise or shock you by being supportive?

Started by HappyMoni, December 16, 2018, 01:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HappyMoni

It is really hard to predict, when we come out, what people will do. Will they be in the "no way" category, the definitely supportive category, or the somewhere in the middle group. I guess I am wondering if anyone would like to share a positive story of how someone really surprised them with their support.
   For me, it was a group experience when I came out at work. I laid out a very personal message of my decision to change my life. When I was done, I got a standing ovation. About 10 to 15 people came up to stand in line to give me a hug. Some of those people I was sure would be shunning me when they heard. My expectation was that many people would be polite but would go off muttering about how awful I was. It was a wonderful miscalculation on my part.
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Actually ... "coming out" for me was in 2 stages

First, the bad negative report:  When I first announced my tansition plans back in 2014... I found absolutely no support or any acceptance from friends and none from any of my family members, and today, to my great disappointment now in December 2018 that has not changed... I am arranging to visit my parents for Christmas or after and as of today I am still not getting a positive go-ahead to firm up my plans.

Now, the good positive report:

As most forum members that have been following me and my "Hunted Prey" thread know, 2 years ago I quit my male mode gainful employment, went Full-Time, and relocated to my new town as a woman, and started my own small business.
I had lived here as a woman for almost 1½ years with no one knowing of my secret past... then just last April 2018 it all came to common knowledge for my town and I joyfully had overwhelming acceptance... some of the details about that are in my thread...  here are 2 Links that will get you near to some of my postings at and around that time of my 2nd Coming Out.

***Hint:   Your dentist knows !

April 11,2018
https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,236395.msg2123977.html#msg2123977

May 02, 2018
https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,236395.msg2131853.html#msg2131853

Since then I have developed many close friends, both cis-men and cis-women and have happily enjoyed having several romantic interests.   

@HappyMoni
... I trust that this story of mine qualifies for what you asked for in the reply comments to your original posting on this thread.... "sharing a positive story" ...
Hugs,
Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

KathyLauren

I don't have many specific individuals that surprised me that way. 

I thought someone in the neighbourhood coffee group would have a problem with me, and likewise I expected that someone in the fire separtment would.  While I detected some confusion, there was no hostility in either group.  I didn't have any specific people in mind that might have been problems, but I was pleasantly surprised thet no one was.

I was a little worried about one of my brothers, whom I thought might react negatively.  I delayed telling him until I was out to the rest of the world.  At that point, I figured it would be better that he heard it from me than from the grapevine.  I was very pleasantly surprised that, a few days later, I got a lovely email from him promising nothing but support.  In reality, I think I would call him accepting rather than supportive, but I'll take it.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

sarahc

Quote from: Alaskan Danielle on December 16, 2018, 03:53:42 PM
Actually ... "coming out" for me was in 2 stages

First, the bad negative report:  When I first announced my tansition plans back in 2014... I found absolutely no support or any acceptance from friends and none from any of my family members, and today, to my great disappointment now in December 2018 that has not changed... I am arranging to visit my parents for Christmas or after and as of today I am still not getting a positive go-ahead to firm up my plans.

Now, the good positive report:

As most forum members that have been following me and my "Hunted Prey" thread know, 2 years ago I quit my male mode gainful employment, went Full-Time, and relocated to my new town as a woman, and started my own small business.
I had lived here as a woman for almost 1½ years with no one knowing of my secret past... then just last April 2018 it all came to common knowledge for my town and I joyfully had overwhelming acceptance... some of the details about that are in my thread...  here are 2 Links that will get you near to some of my postings at and around that time of my 2nd Coming Out.

***Hint:   Your dentist knows !

April 11,2018
https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,236395.msg2123977.html#msg2123977

May 02, 2018
https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,236395.msg2131853.html#msg2131853

Since then I have developed many close friends, both cis-men and cis-women and have happily enjoyed having several romantic interests.   

@HappyMoni
... I trust that this story of mine qualifies for what you asked for in the reply comments to your original posting on this thread.... "sharing a positive story" ...
Hugs,
Danielle

Danielle:

This is exactly the outcome I hope for. I know I will have little to no support where I live now, which is why I plan to move in a few months and restart my life somewhere else...I hope to be able to achieve the success you have had.

Sarah
----
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,244009.0.html)
Hope to go full-time: July / August 2019
FFS / SRS: 2020
  •  

Janes Groove

Not really.  But I had come out as gay over 20 years earlier,  so I had had a good amount of time to scope out the terrain.

•  

AnamethatstartswithE

I did have a few surprises, I volunteer with a group that has a lot of ex-military retirees in it. With a few exceptions from people who recently joined I've had a lot of tolerance and acceptance, even from 70+ year old air force veterans. For a lot of groups, once you've been accepted in, then you're in no matter what and they'll do anything for you.
  •  

HappyMoni

Thank you ladies for responding. I have tried to think of a word to describe what the reality of coming out is. Crap shoot  comes to mind. I wish I could say coming out won't be so bad, but for some it is. On the whole, because of our vulnerability, I think we tend to over estimate what the negative will be. We probably all see at least the possibility of losing everyone in our life. I was fortunate in my coming out, but I did make some bad predictions. I assumed everyone who was religious would reject. I was  very wrong.  The thing that upsets me is if just one person doesn't do a wanted transition because of over exaggerated fear of rejection. It is a tough call to make though. Sarah, what you said makes a lot of sense. I guess you see the odds of support as not very good where you are, but you are taking that in your own hands and seeking supporters. That is pretty cool.

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

Lynne

Quote from: HappyMoni on December 17, 2018, 05:32:28 PM
Thank you ladies for responding. I have tried to think of a word to describe what the reality of coming out is. Crap shoot  comes to mind. I wish I could say coming out won't be so bad, but for some it is. On the whole, because of our vulnerability, I think we tend to over estimate what the negative will be. We probably all see at least the possibility of losing everyone in our life. I was fortunate in my coming out, but I did make some bad predictions. I assumed everyone who was religious would reject. I was  very wrong.  The thing that upsets me is if just one person doesn't do a wanted transition because of over exaggerated fear of rejection. It is a tough call to make though. Sarah, what you said makes a lot of sense. I guess you see the odds of support as not very good where you are, but you are taking that in your own hands and seeking supporters. That is pretty cool.

I really really despise being at the mercy of others, feeling vulnerable and not in control. Coming out is all that combined. I can do everything 'right' and I can still lose a great deal.

I still haven't came out to my co-workers but because there are quite a few trans girls in the area the topic comes up regularly. They sometimes don't know how to handle the situation but they seem to have an open mind which is encouraging.
  •  

DawnOday

I remember telling my boss, it was not easy being me. About every other week. He never found out why. I have been truly blessed by the people I have told. I knew I would be able to explain well enough to the people who love me. Luckily I taught my kids to be accepting of people and it paid off. I have to admit the environment seems more accepting and less frightening than the '70's, 80's. Unfortunately it only takes one experience to set you back
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

Colleen_definitely

My friends really surprised me.  They're a bunch of generally right wing leaning people, social issues aside generally, but I wasn't quite sure how they'd react.  So far they've all been accepting, even the devout Mormon one.

I'm sure my dentist knows, it's a small town and all and then there's the physical differences in my mouth.  But he treats me like anyone else.

As our ashes turn to dust, we shine like stars...
  •  

ErinAscending

My mother in-law.

Jaw met the floor in a rather spectacular fashion when that happened.  My wife was really upset while the in-law was visiting about 2 months after I came out to her.  Coming home from work one day she was crying as she walked through the door before I even arrived home and her mom asks her "What's wrong?"

Soooo.  The wife outed me.  I didn't notice anything different that evening but the next day my wife tells me she had told her mother and I started to get scared.  I remembered, however, that the previous night there didn't seem to be anything amiss.  Later that day the opportunity arose and I asked my mother in-law if she would like to accompany me to the grocery store to pick up a few things for dinner.  She agrees and off we go.  Spent about an hour in the car before going into the store and I told her the pertinent parts of the story myself.

Her response: "I love as my own and I accept you for who you are.  This can't be easy on either you or my daughter but I want to let you know if you ever need anything or even just need to talk you can call me any time."... 

Yeah.  That one shocked me.  Her aunt did the same when I told her at thanksgiving.  Slightly less shocking but still.  My own family.  Well, that is kinda a different story.
Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. - Oscar Wilde
  •  

HappyMoni

Quote from: Lynne on December 17, 2018, 06:30:43 PM
I really really despise being at the mercy of others, feeling vulnerable and not in control. Coming out is all that combined. I can do everything 'right' and I can still lose a great deal.

Lynne, I get what you mean and can definitely agree, but the first thought that came to mind was this. If we don't come out for loss of control reasons, we don't control the situation anyway. Fear controls the situation. I kind of took the attitude of controlling what I could, the presentation of my story and after that I would be satisfied that I did the best job I could. After so many years in fear, I kind of got very angry at myself for giving in to my fear. I used that anger as motivation. Anyway I wish you luck and thank you for that honest insight.

Thank you all for these experiences. I am enjoying reading them. This story was not a surprise for me but it was for my niece. When I told her that I had something very serious and important to tell her, she kind of joked, "Wait let me guess, you're going to become a woman." (Caitlin Jenner was in the news then) I said, "How did you know!"  She didn't know what to say then. She was supportive once she picked her jaw up off the floor.

]
  •  

Lisa_K

I had ONE teacher in high school that didn't treat me like I was invisible or wasn't outright rude and dismissive. I had him all four years. By the time I was a senior, my breasts were showing, I had hair down to my waist and was living as a girl outside of school and knowing I was a total social outcast and struggling, he teased me mercilessly in front of the class. I loved every minute of it even if it embarrassed the hell out of me at times.

He made me laugh at myself and feel better about myself by making fun of me. That was one of the ways my parents dealt with me too, with humor. He made my classmates, many that had also been in his class for years laugh too which helped to totally diffuse and desensitize the awkwardness of my situation and normalized things somewhat. At least I felt acknowledged.

He was my Spanish teacher. If you are familiar with the language, it is very gender centric with things and people having distinct masculine or feminine words and he had a field day making kids refer to me first in the masculine because in spite of what was going on in the rest of my life or how I looked I was still known as a boy for school but then he'd make them repeat whatever they had said but refer to me in the feminine always with some funny kind of comment or lame joke as his way of trying to get the other kids to just be chill and accept me more. It even kind of worked.

Gracias, Señor Vasquez. Tú eras mi único punto brillante en la escuela secundaria.  Looking forward to his class was one of the biggest things that kept me in school until I graduated.

Gosh, I almost forgot what else he did. How could I forget that?

My sophomore year after I was assaulted and out of school a month recovering, he coordinated my assignments and lessons with some of my other teachers and gave them to Gretchen, my one and only friend ever to bring to me so I wouldn't flunk out. When I went back, my parents went out of their way to meet with him to say thanks. He was the coolest dude ever.
  •  

Nina

Yes, my pastor...then congregation of my church at the time
2007/8 - name change, tracheal shave, electrolysis, therapy
2008 - full time
2014 - GCS Dr. Brassard; remarried
2018 (January)  - hubby and I moved off-grid
2019 - plan originally was to hike PCT in 2020, but now attempting Appalachian Trail - start date April 3.
  •  

Lynne

Quote from: HappyMoni on December 18, 2018, 05:42:14 PM
Lynne, I get what you mean and can definitely agree, but the first thought that came to mind was this. If we don't come out for loss of control reasons, we don't control the situation anyway. Fear controls the situation. I kind of took the attitude of controlling what I could, the presentation of my story and after that I would be satisfied that I did the best job I could. After so many years in fear, I kind of got very angry at myself for giving in to my fear. I used that anger as motivation. Anyway I wish you luck and thank you for that honest insight.

Thank you all for these experiences. I am enjoying reading them. This story was not a surprise for me but it was for my niece. When I told her that I had something very serious and important to tell her, she kind of joked, "Wait let me guess, you're going to become a woman." (Caitlin Jenner was in the news then) I said, "How did you know!"  She didn't know what to say then. She was supportive once she picked her jaw up off the floor.

Thank you, you are right and I'm trying to control what I can instead of what I can't. That's why I don't really want to come out until I'm somewhat confident in my ability to sustain a passable female voice for a whole day.
  •  

Zoey421

Quote from: ErinAscending on December 18, 2018, 11:36:25 AM
My mother in-law.

Jaw met the floor in a rather spectacular fashion when that happened.  My wife was really upset while the in-law was visiting about 2 months after I came out to her.  Coming home from work one day she was crying as she walked through the door before I even arrived home and her mom asks her "What's wrong?"

Soooo.  The wife outed me.  I didn't notice anything different that evening but the next day my wife tells me she had told her mother and I started to get scared.  I remembered, however, that the previous night there didn't seem to be anything amiss.  Later that day the opportunity arose and I asked my mother in-law if she would like to accompany me to the grocery store to pick up a few things for dinner.  She agrees and off we go.  Spent about an hour in the car before going into the store and I told her the pertinent parts of the story myself.

Her response: "I love as my own and I accept you for who you are.  This can't be easy on either you or my daughter but I want to let you know if you ever need anything or even just need to talk you can call me any time."... 

Yeah.  That one shocked me.  Her aunt did the same when I told her at thanksgiving.  Slightly less shocking but still.  My own family.  Well, that is kinda a different story.

I'm not sure if my wife has told my in-laws. They talk almost daily. I don't even know if my in-laws know my wife and I are separating. They are truly wonderful people and I'm not sure what they will say or think. Life moves on in any event and it is good to hear that in-laws, while protective of their own children, as they should be, were open to story and identity. Hugs Zoey
  •  

Anne Blake

When my partner and I came out I expected rejection from our conservative church family and we were not surprised by their universal rejection. One of them had been a coworker and best friend for thirty years. The surprise is that he texted me a couple of weeks ago and wants to get together for some closure. His words said that he had let me down and wants to meet me. It is scheduled for the first week of the new year and I am nervously looking forward to meeting with him.

Tia Anne
  •  

HappyMoni

Quote from: Anne Blake on December 20, 2018, 06:21:55 PM
When my partner and I came out I expected rejection from our conservative church family and we were not surprised by their universal rejection. One of them had been a coworker and best friend for thirty years. The surprise is that he texted me a couple of weeks ago and wants to get together for some closure. His words said that he had let me down and wants to meet me. It is scheduled for the first week of the new year and I am nervously looking forward to meeting with him.

Tia Anne
Anne, I hope this is a personal awakening on his part and not like a religious duty kind of thing. (You know me, atheist perspective.) Good luck, Sweetie!

]
  •