Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Greetings from the Midwestern United States

Started by nadia1971, December 29, 2018, 12:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nadia1971

Hello, I'm Nadia, though I really don't get to use that name very often.  I've lived most of my almost fifty years in the closet.  I only really came out to myself five years ago.  Before that, I considered myself mentally ill.  Somehow, that was more comfortable to accept when I was younger than being transgender.  After a while, it became habit, and I looked on my need to be a woman with fear, self-loathing, and denial.

What finally changed for me?  Well, a funny thing happened eight years ago.  I work in a high school, and we've had a GSA for about ten or twelve years.  The previous advisor was retiring, and she needed someone to take over.  Several emails went unanswered until I finally found the courage to take it on.  I felt that having no one take on GSA would send the absolute worst message possible.  I took it on, although I, oddly enough, still didn't consider myself to be a part of the community GSA served.

I learned a LOT from those students about gender.  I worked with them to fight for them to gain acceptance and respect.  Well, what I found is that while I worked for them to build acceptance, I was also, slowly, having to accept myself and who I was.  After fighting myself and living in self-hated from middle school until my early forties, I finally started to heal.

I came out to my wife three years ago, and she's been incredibly supportive.  Her first responses were "It sounds like you've been wanting to say that for a really long time," and "Of all the bombshells you could drop after fifteen years of marriage, this is the least concerning thing I can think of."  I am unspeakably proud of her and her generosity and acceptance.  I honestly think she's more accepting of me than I am.  I still fight the decades of habitual loathing I feel toward myself.  Therapy is helping with that, and my wife's patience gives me strength.

I'm definitively NOT out in most of the rest of my life.  I've been teaching for 25 years, and while our school has done the right thing by our kids time and time again, I'm not sure the community is ready for its first trans teacher.  It's a VERY conservative, right-wing community, and I'm just not willing to bet my pension on them accepting me.  After so long in the closet, a few more years won't do me in. 

I have lots of questions, and I look forward to digging into this site to find answers.  Since I don't see myself able to transition any time in the near future, I'm looking to learn about things like push up bras and breast forms, makeup and body hair removal.  Of all the things that make me dysphoric, body hair is the worst.  The very first thing I did after coming out to my wife was shave my armpits.  *chuckle*  I waited so long to do that. 

I welcome anyone who's interested to share resources that fit or to simply say hello.  I'd love to connect to the community I've denied for so long. 

Thanks.
  •  

Jessica

Hi Nadia 🙋‍♀️ Welcome to Susan's Place!  I'm Jessica.
I'm glad you have found Susan's Place, it certainly contains a wealth of knowledge that can help with various issues that arise.
It's wonderful that your wife accepts you.  Everyone comes out on their own timeline, and waiting till retirement is the route I took.  Pension's do count.
I see you're new here, so I'll post some links that may help you get better acquainted with the site. Pay attention to the site rules they can be of great help and don't forget the link highlighted red.  It has answers to questions that are commonly asked.  Then join in on a topic you find interesting and learn and share.

Things that you should read

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

Linde

Hello here.  This is a safe haven, and many of us came out late in their life.  I was meddling with this becoming a woman for over 15 years, and am now fully out to every person in need to know.  But I am retired, and have not to be concerned about my work situation.  And I do not have some of the dysphoria creating issues you have, because I am biologically not a cis person.  I am pretty much gender fluent, and can be either a man or a woman without having any dysphoria.

Would it be a possibility for you to be gender fluent until you are ready for retirement?

By the way, I lived in Wisconsin until last year, and know how conservative some locations in the mid west can be!
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

Maid Marion

Welcome!  It is great that you have an accepting wife.

•  

ChrissyRyan

Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

V M

Hi Nadia  :icon_wave:

Welcome to Susan's Place  :)  Glad to have you here, join on in the fun

Hugs

V M
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

KathyLauren

Welcome, Nadia!

Quote from: nadia1971 on December 29, 2018, 12:25:34 PM
I came out to my wife three years ago, and she's been incredibly supportive.  Her first responses were "It sounds like you've been wanting to say that for a really long time," and "Of all the bombshells you could drop after fifteen years of marriage, this is the least concerning thing I can think of."  I am unspeakably proud of her and her generosity and acceptance. 

Oh, my, now I'm crying!  That is beautiful.  You have a lovely wife!  I am proud of both of you.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Janes Groove

Welcome to the site Nadia.

I'll let you in on a little secret.  You absolutely can transition on the down low.  Nobody needs to know.

Then when you turn in your retirement papers are they ever in for a surprise!
  •  

Northern Star Girl

@nadia1971
Dear Nadia:
    I am most pleased that you had decided to join the Susan's Place.

I see that our lovely member and California Girl   @Jessica   has already welcomed you to Susan's Place.  Please allow me to also welcome you here.
Thank you for writing your very first posting.... other members will be along to offer their thoughts and comments in response to your specific questions and concerns..

This is the right place for you to be to find out what others may have to say that may have been in your circumstances and with your questions and concerns.
    There are a lot of members here that will be able to identify with your situation as you continue to feel free to share it.

I want to warmly WELCOME you to Susan's Place
You will find this a safe and friendly place to share with others and to read about others similar trials, tribulations, and successes.

As you are certainly aware you can share with others and involve yourself with some give and take with other like-minded members.  When frustrated or if you have successes you can share it here if you wish and receive support from others and offer support to others. ....
     ***It's a very good chance that you might find that you will make some new friends here. 

Please come in and continue to be involved at your own pace.

There is information and important LINKS that  Jessica  included in her welcome message to you.   You will find information about the site that will help you navigate around and best utilize the features here.   
Please look closely at the LINKS in RED, answers are there to many questions that new members ask.

Again, Welcome to Susan's Place.
Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

Anjanette Miranda

Hi Nadia,

WELCOME to Susan's Place.
We are glad you are here!!!

AJ
  •  

GordonG

Hi Nadia
Welcome, it sounds like you have a wonderful wife. How wonderful.
I'm a gender confused guy who lives an hour north of Seattle.
I believe that I was influenced by DES. I have crossdressed in public a handful of times, see avatar picture (enhanced with FaceApp).
I don't plan on transitioning, no GRS, FFS, nor BA.
I consider myself TransFeminine. But reserve the right to change my mind at any time.  ;D

Spironolactone; 7-16-2018
E sublinguals; 10-5-2018
Orchi; 2-15-19
No more Spiro. 

•  

Angela H

Welcome Nadia, that's such a lovely story! I love the "Of all the bombshells you could drop after fifteen years of marriage, this is the least concerning thing I can think of." line.

I can understand and empathize with feeling like you have a mental illness. Like, I know logically all the science about gender dysphoria and gender identity, but I still (because I was raised Mormon) subconsciously think of trans people as 'weird' and 'the other'. Yeah, I still sometimes have moments where I think, "How did this happen to me? I'm normal right?" I'm glad that society is moving forward and the younger generation is not being raised to think this way as much.
  •