Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Does it really matter which orchiectomy method is used??

Started by Belladona, January 16, 2019, 07:44:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linde

Quote from: Chloe on January 21, 2019, 01:48:34 PM
lol ???  :-\  :-* thx to both of you think I've got a pretty good visual!

Dietlind sometimes I get *pinching* pain from tucking 24/7 but nothing like you describe . . . you're on "E only" too(?) been dry and inactive for so long I also highly doubt have much T left as well!

I really don't tuck, because there is hardly anything left to tuck.  All that is here slips into the stow away position anyway as soon as I put my underwear on.  I have this pain from before I went on HRT (I think something inside is tangled up and causes a chronic inflammation).  I am on Finasteride (strongest possible dose, nothing to do with being trans) for 5 - 6 years already, and started with estrogen a little over two month ago.  After i complained about my constantly swollen feet, spiro (the water pill) was added.  This took care of most of the swelling of my feet.

Except for the swelling of my feet, I still have to discover anything that estrogen is doing for me?  I don't think that i have emotional changes, or anything else some people here are ranting and raving about.  But I had mostly female emotions almost all of my life.

Here I sit, waiting for the "wow" effect of estrogen, and nothing really happens!  Of course, I don't have most of the indicators cis people have, when one does have no hair to start with, one cannot see it growing less.

I wish the stuff would do a little to my boob growth, but nothing more than I have already, is woking there either.

i hope I am taking a placebo as part of a triple blind study!
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

christinej78

Quote from: Chloe on January 21, 2019, 01:48:34 PM
lol ???  :-\  :-* thx to both of you think I've got a pretty good visual!

So it's a *slice, pop, clip knot & snip* am almost certain that's what Keri had as well!
This AM ex-spousy braided my hair for the very first time if young "convicts" are gonna persist in hitting on me with def need the full-depth model!

Hi Chloe,                            20 January 2019

*slice, pop, clip knot & snip*  >>>>----------gone---------->>> "Zackley" Right

There is only one Person for me, and She is our Dena. No one else wanted or need apply. Dena is the Love of My Life, My Guardian Angel, and She is a Life Long Dream Come True.

Best Always, Love
Christine
Veteran - US Navy                                       Arborist, rigger, climber, sawyer
Trans Woman 13 Apr 18                               LEO (Cop)
Living as female - 7 years                             Pilot
Start HRT san's AA's 27 March 2018              Mechanic
Borchiday completed Friday 13 Apr 2018        Engineer Multi Discipline
IT Management Consultant                            Programmer
Friend                                                          Bum, Bumett
Semi Retired                                                Still Enjoy Being a Kid, Refuse to Grow UP
Former Writer / Editor                                   Carpenter / Plumber / Electrician
Ex-Biker, Ex-Harley Driver                             Friend of a Coyote
Ex-Smoker 50 years and heading for 100
  •  

Chloe

Quote from: Dietlind on January 21, 2019, 02:34:33 PM. . . on Finasteride (strongest possible dose, nothing to do with being trans) for 5 - 6 years already, and started with estrogen a little over two month ago. 

*sigh* If only two months give it time the *spiro* should help but Finasteride is a guy drug, doesn't really help with the "T": "Finasteride stops testosterone from converting into DHT, the androgen that shrinks hair follicles which leads to hair loss." lol Given all the pain issues they've been trying to remedy sounds like your gonna wind up a transgirl quite by accident? Tried "Fin" once upon a time gave it up quickly there's a stronger, more effective thing out there that you should try, might better suit your overall purpose. I HATE doctors (*they put my dad thru the mill before he died/yep THAT finally cured his problems*) they treat you like a guinea pig and sent ya a bill regardless!

Well, I promised not to speak about THAT drug anymore . . . Gee it's COLD in GA this morning (this IS an orchi thread) think mine just froze off! Where is SW FL are you(?) spent some HS years in New Port Richey! You and Christine are my glimmer of hope always LIKED Dena's posts too but, as all good girls know, *Hands Off*;)
"But it's no use now," thought poor Alice, "to pretend be two people!
"Why, there's hardly enough of me left to make one respectable person!"
  •  

Linde

Quote from: Chloe on January 22, 2019, 06:35:15 AM
         *sigh* If only two months give it time the *spiro* should help but Finasteride is a guy drug, doesn't really help with the "T": "Finasteride stops testosterone from converting into DHT, the androgen that shrinks hair follicles which leads to hair loss." lol Given all the pain issues they've been trying to remedy sounds like your gonna wind up a transgirl quite by accident? Tried "Fin" once upon a time gave it up quickly there's a stronger, more effective thing out there that you should try, might better suit your overall purpose. I HATE doctors (*they put my dad thru the mill before he died/yep THAT finally cured his problems*) they treat you like a guinea pig and sent ya a bill regardless!

None of the above reasons cover why I take Finasteride.  Mine is to keep blood from leaking into my bladder, and I have to take it for the rest of my life, and it has nothing to do with trans either.

Please don't generalize an entire profession, because I am part of it.  And, like in any other profession, you have also idiots in the medical one!  I seem to have a talent to run into all of them!
My endo tried to educate me about stuff that I discovered and informed thee world about, because he did not even listen to me introducing myself.  He is a good endo, but has zero patient skills!

•  

AnneK

Quote*sigh* If only two months give it time the *spiro* should help but Finasteride is a guy drug, doesn't really help with the "T": "Finasteride stops testosterone from converting into DHT, the androgen that shrinks hair follicles which leads to hair loss."

I've been on dutasteride for almost 2 years.  It's often taken for the same reason as finasteride and works the same way, though I believe more effectively.  It is also used with estrogen in MTF to promote breast growth.

I should be be starting on Estrogen soon.
I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.
  •  

GingerVicki

•  

Chloe

Quote from: AnneK on January 22, 2019, 08:16:45 AM
. . . on dutasteride for almost 2 years.  It's often taken for the same reason as finasteride

Ok, well I get that part both are designed primarily for the same thing: "to treat symptomatic benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH or enlarged prostate) to shrink the prostate and reduce the risk of urinary retention caused by restricted urine flow as the prostate becomes enlarged" . . . in effect inhibiting T conversion to DHT which the prostate also feeds on to grow? Slowing hair loss is a secondary benefit as well but, as a transition AA therapy, I never heard of either being taken alone, not in conjunction with something else (besides "E")?

Dietlind apologize if I offended your professional sensibilities all I'm saying is wasn't pleasant to watch my father die from prostate cancer and "blood in the bladder" is NOT a good sign. My best lover friend's father caught it early and still survives and can only wonder IF a more aggressive therapy sooner would have made a difference with my dad . . . and you? In questioning & researching my father's treatment this is exactly how I stumbled upon Casodex 15 years ago and, like I said, swore it would never happen to me. I call the "above two" safe to use "guy drugs" because they more-or-less leave T unhindered  . . .

. . . and for us trans anyway, What Good Is That? (despite knowing your intersex condition may render all this wayyy off base?)
"But it's no use now," thought poor Alice, "to pretend be two people!
"Why, there's hardly enough of me left to make one respectable person!"
  •  

Linde

Quote from: Chloe on January 23, 2019, 03:30:49 PM

Dietlind apologize if I offended your professional sensibilities all I'm saying is wasn't pleasant to watch my father die from prostate cancer and "blood in the bladder" is NOT a good sign. My best lover friend's father caught it early and still survives and can only wonder IF a more aggressive therapy sooner would have made a difference with my dad . . . and you? In questioning & researching my father's treatment this is exactly how I stumbled upon Casodex 15 years ago and, like I said, swore it would never happen to me. I call the "above two" safe to use "guy drugs" because they more-or-less leave T unhindered  . . .

When blood was discovered in my urine, we (me and the treating physician) were concerned, and the entire system of the Mayo Clinic was set into action.  I got contrast medium enhanced MRI's to see if I had kidney problems (and a tiny stone was discovered, sitting in a dark back corner of my right kidney, but nothing to be concerned about), prostate biopsies (3 of them, and it hurts like hell) were done, and showed noth cancerous cells, and finally a scope was shoved into my bladder, and i saw it's inside for the first time in my life. What a beautiful view of the scenery in there!  >:-).
And there the found the culprits, two veins in the bladder wall were somethings like varicose veins, and the prostate pushed against them from the outside of the bladder, which caused the leaking of blood into the bladder..  The possible treatment was either to remove the prostate, repair the veins, to take Finasteride for the rest of my life to keep the prostate as shriveled up as possible.  I choose Finasteride, and have no blood in my urine since.  I have one problem with Finasteride, I should not become pregnant anymore (but I have no plans for this anyway  :angel:).  I have none of the other possible side effects of the drug.

•  

JanePlain

Quote from: Belladona on January 16, 2019, 07:44:16 PM
I realise that I probably won't get an answer in time, I'm booked in for surgery in like 17 hours...
The urologist that is doing my orchiectomy told me back when I had the consultation that he was aware that there is a certain method used for transgender patients and he would look into it.
The hospital rang me before Christmas to say there was an opening on 18th January, I didn't think I'd get seen so soon!
I phoned the hospital the other week to get more details and found out the urologist was on leave and he would contact me when he gets back. So I get a phone call yesterday and the urologist said that he was looking at doing the simple orchiectomy apparently it shouldn't matter which method is used?? He said the inguinal method has two incisions and there is no medical reason to do that over the simple method of going through the scrotum, which only requires one incision. He went on to say if I get SRS in the future they just cut the scrotum in the same place so it doesn't matter if I get the orchiectomy done the simple way.

I'm a bit confused cause there is information floating around the internet saying the inguinal method is better because it leaves vital skin intact that is needed for future surgery. There seems to be conflicting information on this. Am I worrying over nothing??
I'd rather have the inguinal I feel that would be easier to heal and more convenient for me as I wear tight clothes. In a way I feel that the simple method is actually more invasive and I would have more emotional strain. Am I going to be worse off getting the simple orchiectomy over inguinal? It sounds like I'm not going to be able to get it done the way I want  :( I guess I can't really argue my case when I'm getting it done for free...

I think ingunal is the better way to go.  By accessing them this way the surgeon can remove the spermatic cord (or at least a lot more of it)  The cord can dangle around in the scrotum causing pain or worse can attach to the scrotal wall which can be very painful.   

My doctor suggested one thing other thing to do pain wise.  He feels that numbing the testes and cords before they cut is thought to eliminate the possibility of future phantom pains which he thinks are the pain impulses that go to the brain from anything that is amputated.  I was glad I had mine done that way its never been a problem.   Asking the doctor to numb things even if your going to be given a general probably would be helped by explaining why your prefer it done that way.   Anyhow congratulations on your upcoming procedure!  To quote Dr Bowers, "Two more soldiers who will never fight!"
  •  

Dena

Quote from: Dietlind on January 23, 2019, 06:32:28 PM
The possible treatment was either to remove the prostate, repair the veins, to take Finasteride for the rest of my life to keep the prostate as shriveled up as possible.
There is another treatment and that is after you have an orchi, you shouldn't need Finasteride. My new doctor wanted to be extra cautious so he requested a PSA test. My levels came back 0.00 so I suspect that's what left of my prostate is microscopic.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Linde

Quote from: Dena on January 23, 2019, 08:05:23 PM
There is another treatment and that is after you have an orchi, you shouldn't need Finasteride. My new doctor wanted to be extra cautious so he requested a PSA test. My levels came back 0.00 so I suspect that's what left of my prostate is microscopic.
That's what I thought.  My testes are so tiny, my urologists feels that they gave up producing testosterone for quite a while.  But he is also of the opinion that I might need to take Finasteride even after an orhi.  It seems as if they do not want to take any risks.
It is OK with me, because I don't have any of the side effect listed for this drug, and I don't plan to become pregnant in the near future either.

•  

Devlyn

Quote from: Belladona on January 21, 2019, 01:55:50 AM
I have read devlyn's thread, I DIDN'T GET A COOKIE  :(
I think maybe each method is its own healing experience. I've been in a lot of pain and almost completely bed ridden for 3 days. I really underestimated how much pain I would be in, I've needed prescription pain meds and probably going to need them for a few more days. I think I would have had a lot more mobility and less pain if I had the simple orchiectomy. At least there isn't any blood or annoying chords in my scrotum, thats a definite advantage with going ingiunal. It would be psychologically difficult for me to heal an injury on a body part I'm not comfortable having, so in that regard I'm happy with the decision I made.

I don't have any of the recovery room cookies, but here ya go!  :)

Speedy healing!

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Belladona

Hahaha Devlyn good one  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Just curious what is your opinion on the different orchiectomy methods? You had the simple way done from memory?

Quote from: JanePlain on January 23, 2019, 07:10:45 PM
I think ingunal is the better way to go.  By accessing them this way the surgeon can remove the spermatic cord (or at least a lot more of it)  The cord can dangle around in the scrotum causing pain or worse can attach to the scrotal wall which can be very painful.   

My doctor suggested one thing other thing to do pain wise.  He feels that numbing the testes and cords before they cut is thought to eliminate the possibility of future phantom pains which he thinks are the pain impulses that go to the brain from anything that is amputated.  I was glad I had mine done that way its never been a problem.   Asking the doctor to numb things even if your going to be given a general probably would be helped by explaining why your prefer it done that way.   Anyhow congratulations on your upcoming procedure!  To quote Dr Bowers, "Two more soldiers who will never fight!"
I had phantom pains for the first 4 days, so weird!! I would say they didn't numb anything on me, I woke up in some pain. I had sweat on me too as if my body reacted to pain while I was under the anesthetic. My body kind of went into shock when I woke up, I think it knew something was up, I felt violated. I never expected the psychological effects of being operated on, that is going to take more time to process.

So far a lot of the pain has gone, still sore stitches are starting to itch. I'm still bruised from having a tube in me, I hate my man thing being purple so gross... The other day I got my doctor to change the bandages, everything is healing fine. I feel a bit more feminine down there, I think the skin shrinking might be a problem for me, I liked having lose skin  :(
It seems like all the phantom sensations are fading, I was getting worried they wouldn't go away.
  •  

christinej78

Quote from: Belladona on January 24, 2019, 02:45:21 AM
Just curious what is your opinion on the different orchiectomy methods? You had the simple way done from memory?
I had phantom pains for the first 4 days, so weird!! I would say they didn't numb anything on me, I woke up in some pain. I had sweat on me too as if my body reacted to pain while I was under the anesthetic. My body kind of went into shock when I woke up, I think it knew something was up, I felt violated. I never expected the psychological effects of being operated on, that is going to take more time to process.

So far a lot of the pain has gone, still sore stitches are starting to itch. I'm still bruised from having a tube in me, I hate my man thing being purple so gross... The other day I got my doctor to change the bandages, everything is healing fine. I feel a bit more feminine down there, I think the skin shrinking might be a problem for me, I liked having lose skin  :(
It seems like all the phantom sensations are fading, I was getting worried they wouldn't go away.

Hi Belladona,                                 24 January 2019

I'm sorry you are having pain and problems. Are you still in the hospital?

You might want to ask for a copy of the anesthesia report and see what you were given prior to and during the surgery. They should have infused you with a small amount of Fentanyl, a synthetic Morphine, or some other pain med to control pain during and after the procedure. My guess is your pain may be coming from the other procedures you may have had along with the orchi, or a UTI.

I think you said you had or have a catheter in place. They can be painful and can cause a UTI to develop, which can be quite painful. As for an inguinal orchi by itself, a catheter should not be required unless you have an issue requiring one. If the catheter you have is fairly large, assuming you are of average size, that could mean they did surgery in your urinary tract. You might want to ask the doctor just what all he did.

A hack surgeon operated on me when I was 18; the catheter he installed looked the size of a garden hose. I couldn't see how he got it in there; glad I was asleep when that happened.

Wishing you a speedy and pain free recovery.

Best Wishes, Love
Chris
Veteran - US Navy                                       Arborist, rigger, climber, sawyer
Trans Woman 13 Apr 18                               LEO (Cop)
Living as female - 7 years                             Pilot
Start HRT san's AA's 27 March 2018              Mechanic
Borchiday completed Friday 13 Apr 2018        Engineer Multi Discipline
IT Management Consultant                            Programmer
Friend                                                          Bum, Bumett
Semi Retired                                                Still Enjoy Being a Kid, Refuse to Grow UP
Former Writer / Editor                                   Carpenter / Plumber / Electrician
Ex-Biker, Ex-Harley Driver                             Friend of a Coyote
Ex-Smoker 50 years and heading for 100
  •  

Devlyn

Quote from: Belladona on January 24, 2019, 02:45:21 AM
Just curious what is your opinion on the different orchiectomy methods? You had the simple way done from memory? ...

I had a midline incision on the scrotum. I'm not sure I have an opinion on the various surgeries, we all have different bodies and requirements. I just like to jump in when the "necessary tissue" point comes up.  :)
  •  

JanePlain

This seems to (possibly) prove out the problem of doing an orchiectomy without numbing the cords and testes,  The theory my Doctor had is that the nerves carry the pain signals to the brain during the procedure and fry that signal into the brain where its left to replay at random times.  Thus phantom pains or phantom limb.  If they use something to numb the area the signals never flood the brain and thus you have nothing "recorded" that can play back. The drug used to knock the patient out doesn't stop the signals.  It might be wrong but I think his logic is sound and he is one of my areas "superdocs" in the area of chronic pain.

And of course having it done through a scrotal incision leaves a lot of the cords dangling around which have raw ends where the cut was made.
  •