News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

GCS and Schizophrenia?

Started by findingreason, March 15, 2018, 07:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

findingreason

Hey all,

So unfortunately after 2 years of increasing symptoms (and some symptoms in my younger years) of hallucinations, paranoia, and delusions, and a hospital stay recently I checked my medical records and discovered I was diagnosed with schizophrenia. At least my depression is under control. I emailed the doctor at the transgender polyclinic in Tampere about this, but she hasn't gotten back to me yet. I am worried this is going to bar me from getting GCS any time soon. My negative symptoms with things such as poor hygiene make it difficult to follow cleanliness routines, which concerns me as well considering how grueling the recovery from GCS is.

Anyone have input before the doctor gets back to me?

•  

Allison S

Hi, I don't really know much about this topic but I think a lot of people are going through similar things. And I mean when it comes to GCS even. Autumn Asphodel on youtube has talked about mental illnesses and being post op. Check out her videos while you wait, if that's something that interests you. There's others out there I'm sure. I just know Autumn mentioned she has schizoaffective disorder and a few others, and she still had surgery.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

•  

Dena

I don't know the standards of care in your country so there could be an issue but your doctors should be able to fill you in on the details. Normally if you are able to make an informed decision, mental issues shouldn't figure into the decision. You might be required to deal with the schizophrenia first. Schizophrenia can be treated with medication and therapy however you may need to demonstrate you can properly care for yourself before you are granted GCS.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Mendi

Hi, being from the same neighbourhood....I´m sorry to say, that it will probably affect to the fact, that they will not allow GCS. If I would be you, I would contact TTP and Trasek Ry ASAP!

It of course will depend that how long ago the diagnose was done and was it even a correct diagnose and do you have symptoms now. I have all the diagnoses from the medical books, seriously, because nobody understood, that it was the dysphoria what was causing everything. And I never said anything.

You can put a PM to me also and I can give you the contact information to people to discuss this with.
  •  

findingreason

Thanks everyone for your replies! I will look into this further.

Quote from: Mendi on March 15, 2018, 10:30:47 PM
Hi, being from the same neighbourhood....I´m sorry to say, that it will probably affect to the fact, that they will not allow GCS. If I would be you, I would contact TTP and Trasek Ry ASAP!

It of course will depend that how long ago the diagnose was done and was it even a correct diagnose and do you have symptoms now. I have all the diagnoses from the medical books, seriously, because nobody understood, that it was the dysphoria what was causing everything. And I never said anything.

You can put a PM to me also and I can give you the contact information to people to discuss this with.

I will definitely send you a PM, thank you so much. <3

•  

findingreason

Hey all,

So after a number of tough months and trying to get my life back to something even slightly resembling stability, I finally got in contact with the trans polyclinic at TAYS (Tampere University Hospital). A schizophrenia diagnosis is not a complete barring to GCS, but it certainly pushes it back. The doctor said they looked for long term stability, she said years. I will be checking in with TTP and Trasek about this when I am feeling well enough to do it. Add in I am in the process of applying for disability cause I cannot hold down work or school for the last three years of my life, it may make matters even more difficult.  But I gotta do what I can to survive. It's a tough hand I've been dealt but I will eventually one day get surgery.

•  

Kendra

Awww hon I am really sorry to hear this.  Although at least it's not a no, I'm sure the delay is disappointing. 

Has HRT helped you at all?  Maybe there is a pattern that indicates improvement correlating to hormone level tests over the past few years... just trying to think positive.  I found HRT substantially improved my mental health, although I know individual responses are difficult to predict. 

Kendra
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

findingreason

Quote from: Kendra on August 30, 2018, 05:01:34 PM
Awww hon I am really sorry to hear this.  Although at least it's not a no, I'm sure the delay is disappointing. 

Has HRT helped you at all?  Maybe there is a pattern that indicates improvement correlating to hormone level tests over the past few years... just trying to think positive.  I found HRT substantially improved my mental health, although I know individual responses are difficult to predict. 

Kendra

Thanks. Yeah, I agree. And I know I need time to be ready for this surgery.

HRT has helped me tremendously with my mood and depression. Been on it for 3 1/2 years now. Estrogen also has protective properties for things like psychosis and schizophrenia. Unfortunately I got unlucky regardless. Fortunately though I'm reasonably stable on Abilify and Zyprexa.

•  

Kendra

One thing I'll suggest is keep close track of your recurring E & T test measurements starting 3-1/2 years ago, and compare that to your baseline if that was measured before you started HRT.  If you experienced more issues when your HRT test numbers were low or out of range you can use that as evidence you're improving and have the numbers to prove it.  If your HRT levels fall out of target range in the future, you have additional reasons to talk to your doctor about adjusting dosage or delivery method.

Of course nobody should have GCS unless they are ready.  But when you do reach that point, it will be easier to stay within HRT range without a t-blocker.
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

findingreason

I'm pretty sure they conspired against me to control my mind into instability. They don't want me to have surgery, and they controlled me through whatever telepathic method to do so. I guess I should just give up on GCS. They want stability yet they want to control my mind. It's a conspiracy. Ugh.  :(

•  

MeTony

Hi.

I was psychotic in 2008-2012. On and off. Tried different meds and was locked up in psych ward for 6 months.

I am stable on Abilify and Quetiapin. I have been stable for 6 years. This is no longer a problem for transition.

There is hope, take care of your self. Talk to your doc if you have paranoid thoughts and hallucinations.

Tony
  •  

findingreason

Quote from: MeTony on October 24, 2018, 11:57:00 PM
Hi.

I was psychotic in 2008-2012. On and off. Tried different meds and was locked up in psych ward for 6 months.

I am stable on Abilify and Quetiapin. I have been stable for 6 years. This is no longer a problem for transition.

There is hope, take care of your self. Talk to your doc if you have paranoid thoughts and hallucinations.

Tony

I'm sorry you were locked up in a ward for 6 months...

I hope so...they still mind controlled me into this. :( I'm doing what I'm told and its hurting me more. Band leader said to contact my therapist so I did. He said I'm getting psychotic. Idk how though. We'll see what happens...

•  

isa86

Im really sorry to hear this, and i really hope you get the surgery, just one point i noticed, you struggle with the cleanliness? You mean like at home in ur apartment or body hygiene?

As if its body hygiene YOU HAVE to keep the surgery area very clean. I have to douche 3 times a day down there with just water. If i go for a number 2 i have to add a 4 time as you really want to keep those bacteria very very far away from youre vagina. You would get bad infections at the beginning if it doesn't stay clean. Obviously this wont be forever, but for the first 3 months its important. After that one shower a day should be fine.

But you dont want to go through this life changing event that will hopefully make you happy and then ruin it with infections wich lead to bad healing.

Anyway I hope you're doctor gets back to you soon and they can help you

Good luck x bella x
  •  

findingreason

Quote from: isa86 on October 25, 2018, 04:36:23 AM
Im really sorry to hear this, and i really hope you get the surgery, just one point i noticed, you struggle with the cleanliness? You mean like at home in ur apartment or body hygiene?

As if its body hygiene YOU HAVE to keep the surgery area very clean. I have to douche 3 times a day down there with just water. If i go for a number 2 i have to add a 4 time as you really want to keep those bacteria very very far away from youre vagina. You would get bad infections at the beginning if it doesn't stay clean. Obviously this wont be forever, but for the first 3 months its important. After that one shower a day should be fine.

But you dont want to go through this life changing event that will hopefully make you happy and then ruin it with infections wich lead to bad healing.

Anyway I hope you're doctor gets back to you soon and they can help you

Good luck x bella x

Thanks...I struggle with both body hygiene and house cleanliness... I used to be one to shower every day. It's meh. I hope one day I can pick it up. That's if they allow me to go forward one day with transition...

•  

findingreason

Okay, so update time. After my last hospitalisation in Oct/Nov, I am on the improvement in my condition. Little bumps in the road still. Talked to the new doctor overseeing me at the transgender polyclinic in TAYS. She wants to see me in May to discuss a pre-consultation for surgery. She is taking a much more kind approach to me compared to the last doctor. I still have to be stable for a full year but I am well on my way. I have activities to keep me busy in life. I am going out of the apartment and interacting with others. I am taking somewhat better care of myself. In the process of getting health treatments for various physical issues (i.e. possible asthma, knee problems, diabetes risk management). I will get to this surgery. I am determined to remain well. I have to keep moving forward.

•