Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

THE Decision

Started by KimOct, May 12, 2019, 09:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KimOct

There are about a dozen things I want to say so this may be a bit of a rambling post but I will start by explaining what the catalyst was that created these thoughts.

In a different topic I was upset by someone saying it is easy to say the phrase 'don't hide'. 

I took exception to the word 'easy'.   I don't take it lightly when I say don't hide and having the courage to come out.  I did some soul searching about that and by coincidence I got a PM from someone here that I respect.  She told me that we are the supporters and not the deciders.  That is very true. 

I never want to say whether or not someone should transition for very many reasons.  Obviously a spouse is a huge concern, also the level of their gender dysphoria ( I believe in a gender spectrum ).  Many other reasons include what is most important in your life.  Is money your driving influence?  That is not a criticism rather a sincere question.
For some professions transitioning is a more complicated issue than others.

Maybe some people are just not up to the challenge.  There is nothing wrong with that.  We all have our strengths and shortcomings.  Some people may just not have the stomach for this.  Those people still need a place to discuss, share their feelings and get the pain out. 

My personal view is if you wish you could live as a woman and fear is what is stopping you then you need to find a way to overcome that fear.  That fear is primarily rooted in what we have absorbed in our society that being a man that wants to be a woman is something to be laughed at.  That is where I believe the fear comes from.  Nobody wants to be the subject of ridicule.  But the reason for that ridicule is false.

That is all I try to preach here.  Do not let fear overwhelm you.  Don't let the judgment of others rule your life.  Don't live in an unhappy existence.  You will make those around you including your spouse unhappy.

Those are MY beliefs.  But that is the point, they are MY beliefs.  As my friend said I am not the decider and I honestly never tried to be or wanted to be.  If I have ever come across that way it was not intended.

The primary thing that stopped me from transitioning most of my life was fear.  I did not want to be laughed at, rejected, thought to be a freak.  To me it was something to be hidden.  Through a great deal of hard work I don't believe that anymore.

One person in particular, who some of you know taught me how to search inside myself and realize where the fear came from.  I have spent some time with her in person.  She knows what a big impact she had on me because I told her but I don't think she fully realizes the seed she planted and how I nurtured it and made it grow into so much more.

That is all I want to pass forward to others here.  The support that she and Ashley (tgirlamg) and my therapist and another group of several friends did for me.  I would not have got here if not for them.

So when I am being a hard ass or it seems I am being judgmental I am simply passing on the tough love that worked for me.  If it helps you great.  If not.... well I am just some idiot on the internet .  :D ;D

I wish everyone here happiness and peace and if I ever play a small role in helping find that then that makes me happy.  :)

Mod Edit for TOS 9
The first transphobe you have to conquer is yourself
  •  

Northern Star Girl

@Kim Oct
Dear Kim:
WOW...
...I am most impressed by your very complete and terrific job writing a helpful treatise for many transitioning members, either at the start of transition or toward the end, it is good material for all to ponder, and if appropriate, apply to thier lives.

Thanks again Kim, in my opinion it is a must read, then it is up to the reader to decide what might apply to them.

HUGS,
Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

Kirsteneklund7

Quote from: KimOct on May 12, 2019, 09:58:38 PM
There are about a dozen things I want to say so this may be a bit of a rambling post but I will start by explaining what the catalyst was that created these thoughts.

In a different topic I was upset by someone saying it is easy to say the phrase 'don't hide'. 

I took exception to the word 'easy'.   I don't take it lightly when I say don't hide and having the courage to come out.  I did some soul searching about that and by coincidence I got a PM from someone here that I respect.  She told me that we are the supporters and not the deciders.  That is very true. 

I never want to say whether or not someone should transition for very many reasons.  Obviously a spouse is a huge concern, also the level of their gender dysphoria ( I believe in a gender spectrum ).  Many other reasons include what is most important in your life.  Is money your driving influence?  That is not a criticism rather a sincere question.

Maybe some people are just not up to the challenge.  There is nothing wrong with that.  We all have our strengths and shortcomings.  Some people may just not have the stomach for this.  Those people still need a place to discuss, share their feelings and get the pain out. 

My personal view is if you wish you could live as a woman and fear is what is stopping you then you need to find a way to overcome that fear.  That fear is primarily rooted in what we have absorbed in our society that being a man that wants to be a woman is something to be laughed at.  That is where I believe the fear comes from.  Nobody wants to be the subject of ridicule.  But the reason for that ridicule is false.

That is all I try to preach here.  Do not let fear overwhelm you.  Don't let the judgment of others rule your life.  Don't live in an unhappy existence.  You will make those around you including your spouse unhappy.

Those are MY beliefs.  But that is the point, they are MY beliefs.  As my friend said I am not the decider and I honestly never tried to be or wanted to be.  If I have ever come across that way it was not intended.

The primary thing that stopped me from transitioning most of my life was fear.  I did not want to be laughed at, rejected, thought to be a freak.  To me it was something to be hidden.  Through a great deal of hard work I don't believe that anymore.

One person in particular, who some of you know taught me how to search inside myself and realize where the fear came from.  I have spent some time with her in person.  She knows what a big impact she had on me because I told her but I don't think she fully realizes the seed she planted and how I nurtured it and made it grow into so much more.

That is all I want to pass forward to others here.  The support that she and Ashley (tgirlamg) and my therapist and another group of several friends did for me.  I would not have got here if not for them.

So when I am being a hard ass or it seems I am being judgmental I am simply passing on the tough love that worked for me.  If it helps you great.  If not.... well I am just some idiot on the internet .  :D ;D

I wish everyone here happiness and peace and if I ever play a small role in helping find that then that makes me happy.  :)

Love it Kim,
                   this topic is exactly about things I have been thinking about lately. In my life I know fear is a big part of the equation. I know I must overcome a raft of fears, if only to see the way ahead more clearly.

Often I think maybe I'm not trans enough, .... and then I find myself inviting the neighbors & kids over and sharing a meal with them dressed in a womens skirt & top. A mysterious urge seems to drive it all.

Thank god for other ," Bad Trans Mothers" like you Kim. I think I may be seeking your life experience as things develop.

With gratitude, Kirsten.

Mod Edit TOS 9
As a child prayed to be a girl- now the prayer is being answered - 40 years later !
  •  

Katie

like everywhere in life there are those that do and those that dont. I myself dont care if someone does or doesn't but if they come up to me and start complaining about being miserable because of not doing I run out of patience and send them on their way. Dont have time to listen to it...........
  •  

Zoey421

Fear ... it can be very strong; it can delay or derail many efforts at self improvement, self actualization.

Kim and Ashley have been great supporters for me over the last 6 months as I began to transition. They helped me overcome the natural fears. I jumped into the lake up to my neck and started to swim hard. Make up, undergarments, shoes ..
Lots of shoes, clothes, more make up, jewelry ... you get it.

I did not take the slow path as some in my family wished. Why? This is my path, not theirs. Was there fear? A little, but I had managed my fear brought on by my anxiety for over a decade. Trepidation is a better description of my feelings about coming out.

So I set small goals that were relatively easy to accomplish. Cross the goals of the list and kept moving forward.

My suggestion is this: every decision while coming out, living as a woman, is important and there are hundreds of decisions to make. Focus on what is in front of you, the here and now, and create the tiny wins.

For example: Going shopping for clothes... start with what you know ... jeans, tshirts,  whatever is comfortable and familiar. So your jeans are a little tighter and the hems of your tshirts a little rounder. You know what, most people won't notice or care. Tiny win.

Solve the immediate problem, strike it off your list, move on to the next one and repeat.

Coming out is just too darn big!! It is impossible to focus on the end goal, whatever you eventually decide that to be, at the beginning without being overwhelmed.

We fear the unknown. How will our families  and friends react? I don't know. Will I look silly in women's clothes? I dont know. How do use make up? I don't know. Will I be ridiculed, laughed at, harassed, bullied discriminated? I hope not, but I don't know until I try. We fear the unknown outcome.

Girls, if there is one thing I have learned over the last 6 months is this: the stories we tell ourselves and the fear we generate as a result is ALWAYS worse than the reality.

Transitions are not smooth. Set backs will occur. Tally the small wins and eventually they become a big, awesome, beautiful success ... living your true life.

As my psychoanalyst father says ... you become one with the world.

Zoe xoxoxoxo

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

•  

HappyMoni

Dear Kim,
   I always know where your heart is. You are so kind and so helpful. I want to see people overcome fear and move forward to be more themselves also. I know everyone's road is different, for some it is incredibly hard. I have had mentors too. Missy from a while back on here, opened a window for me. She made me see that transition could be wonderful. It gave me strength and optimism at a time that I had so many doubts. There were others too. I have days like at my son's wedding after party today. I had my hair and nails done, a pretty dress on, and I met my new family members, bowled, played games, and walked through the place totally owning who I am. No self consciousness, no insecurity, nothing but a big smile! I never thought this could happen. It is amazing. After a day like that, yeah, I want others to experience their true selves and have that feeling too. It is hard to stop and know that people have all kinds of reasons not to be at that point. I want people to believe that it can be great. I want them to be optimistic. I don't know their lives. I don't want to talk someone into something that will turn ugly for them. Also happiness for them may not be transition. So, yeah, I stop at a certain point. Encourage yes! Further than that, not my pay grade! I will leave it at this. If you are at a point where you look up at the mountain and think "Only brave people can climb that, not me," you will be amazed at how much 'impossible,' scared little you is capable of. This thing that drives us is extremely powerful. Don't defeat yourself!
   One more thing! I transitioned in my late 50's. There is no point where my complaining (to self and partner) was no longer valid. Complaining was what I had, my only relief. Complain, bitch, vent, talk it out. It's not my place to tell you to stop. It only changed when I saw that a happy transition was possible. Sorry, talked too long.
Moni
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

KimOct

Thank you all, some of the wisest voices on this site chose to weigh in on my topic and for that I am humbled and grateful.  If I push too hard sometimes it is because I want others to find their peace, freedom and happiness but as was pointed out here several times, that path does not look the same for all of us.

And for those that didn't didn't figure it out already, the friend that PM'd me was Moni.   :) 
  •  

CynthiaAnn

Do not let fear overwhelm you.  Don't let the judgment of others rule your life.  Don't live in an unhappy existence.  You will make those around you including your spouse unhappy.

Great post Kim, and I was able to overcome my fear of being myself out in the world, thanks to some awesome mentoring. I want to take this opportunity to say thanks to a dear friend from here at Susan's @Megan Rose. She is a sister that was few years ahead of me on the path, and lives near by. She helped me tremendously in many areas of transitioning, went to my first support meeting with me, showed me tips on how to successfully transition on the job, demonstrated how to be a loving partner while transitioning and kept her marriage together, that gave me insights in how to keep mine. Her and her soul mate also supported me in CA for my surgery. The decision to transition is certainly a personal one, it was a decision that worked very well for me for the long run.

If ever there was a big sister, it's Megan.

Love ya, and do carry on....

Cynthia -

•  

KimOct

Thanks for sharing that CynthiaAnn, that was touching.  I think we all need a mentor and the more the better. 

While some stand out more to me than others I took a little from here and a little from there.  Very few of us have all the answers for anyone but by considering many points of view and then searching within ourselves then hopefully we can find our answers.
  •  

KimOct

One person in particular, ( Due to rules that I accept the nickname of that person was deleted therefore she shall be forever known here as BT  :) )who some of you know taught me how to search inside myself and realize where the fear came from.  I have spent some time with her in person.  She knows what a big impact she had on me because I told her but I don't think she fully realizes the seed she planted and how I nurtured it and made it grow into so much more.

Mod Edit for TOS 9
  •  

jkredman

Mod Edit for TOS 9

Kim

Thanks for your post.

We all have to balance multiple conflicting needs in our lives.   In my case I've been in a committed relationship for 23 years that I feel a desperate need to protect.

To protect that relationship, bottom surgery is out of the question.

We all must balance our needs with the needs of those important to us.   The decisions are personal and there are NO WRONG ANSWERS!!!!

You're not a hard ass or living in fear.  You're simply balancing your needs with the needs of those you love.

Been there; done (doing) that.

Kate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kate
  •  

Ricki Wright

Go Kim!!!

I can attest that fear has been the regulator on how quickly I am transitioning. The more comfortable I get with myself, the less fear (or caring) I have about the perceptions and judgments of others. As an example, this week I gave friends and family permission to share I was Trans with people they felt would not threaten my safety. Before this week, I would have considered anyone doing that as violating a trust.

I am slowly, and sadly, coming to terms that I will probably never pass. As long as I can get an "F" on my drivers licence, get rid of my dead name, turn the ugly P into a beautiful V, and get some amazing shoes, I have faith that I will be ok with myself and be at peace. That said, I am not going to give up on modern medicine, as they were able to change a AFAB mouse into a ...Created Male At Lab? CMAL?
https://www.geneticsandsociety.org/article/simple-gene-technique-changes-sex-mouse.

Who knows what wonderful new things will be here tomorrow? Every day my skin fits a little better, I laugh more and cry easier. I am enjoying the journey instead of focusing on the goal. I hope everybody can learn to transition in a series of small steps. Each step I take, I leave a little more fear behind me.
If your next step is out of reach for any reason, have a seat and look back at how far you have come. Even if it is only one step, you own that step, and that is one more step than others will take.

Hugs and Love,
Ricki
At 5 I forgot who I am. Fortunately, who I am protected me all these years until I remembered. Whatever else happens, I will live the rest of my life whole.
My story: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,244130.0.html
HRT 07Nov18
  •  

KimOct

Thanks Ricki - Great post for those that are struggling due to fear.  That fear is a big thing and nobody should feel less strong because they feel that fear.  It is programmed into us by society our entire lives.  Anyone's fear only shows that they were paying attention to the messages that they received.

My focus here is to help those that want to transition but are afraid.  That is one area I have pretty figured out.
( Lord knows there are many other areas I don't)  :D

Ricki - based on your post I strongly urge you to read my topic 'the joys of not passing'.  I know it sounds crazy but it can actually be fun.  And NOBODY was more afraid of being clocked than I used to be.
  •  

VeronicaLynn

I agonized over the decision to transition for over 5 years, and just started HRT today!

It was mostly fear, and a lot of it was stupid fear not even over whether it was right for me, but just fear over dealing with doctors and pharmacists and such, which turned out to not be all that hard.
  •  

KimOct

Quote from: VeronicaLynn on May 15, 2019, 10:33:59 PM
I agonized over the decision to transition for over 5 years, and just started HRT today!

It was mostly fear, and a lot of it was stupid fear not even over whether it was right for me, but just fear over dealing with doctors and pharmacists and such, which turned out to not be all that hard.

WOO HOO !!!!!!!!

Congratulations Veronica !!!  :)   I will send you your HRT membership card.  :D

Very happy for you that you found the courage.  Enjoy the ride.
  •  

Kalandrina

Great posts by you all and great comments and inspiration.

As i am just about to embark on HRT and transition, i am stuck in the fear factor as a lot are about how i look :)
  •  

Ricki Wright

VeronicaLynn and Kalandrina (love the names! My middle name is Ashlynn!)

Just as a heads up, your HRT Superpowers Instruction Kit should arrive in 1 to 2 weeks :)

Be aware however that the side effects of HRT can be extreme.
* A general and unfamiliar sense of Peace may be a regular occurrence
* All of the jokes you have heard about Men may suddenly make sense and be hilarious
* Bursting into tears when you see something cute
* Having more energy due to lack of internal conflict with self
* Salt cravings (sigh. Just typing the word "salt" is making me salivate)

A full list will be in your kit, or you can ask questions here where people here will do their best to answer.
If you experience any of the following please contact anyone supporting you that you wish and know I am very happy for you!!!

Ricki
At 5 I forgot who I am. Fortunately, who I am protected me all these years until I remembered. Whatever else happens, I will live the rest of my life whole.
My story: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,244130.0.html
HRT 07Nov18
  •  

KimOct

Quote from: Ricki Wright on May 17, 2019, 08:52:53 AM
VeronicaLynn and Kalandrina (love the names! My middle name is Ashlynn!)

Just as a heads up, your HRT Superpowers Instruction Kit should arrive in 1 to 2 weeks :)

* All of the jokes you have heard about Men may suddenly make sense and be hilarious

A full list will be in your kit, or you can ask questions here where people here will do their best to answer.
If you experience any of the following please contact anyone supporting you that you wish and know I am very happy for you!!!

Ricki

:D ;D :D ;D

Love it !!

Kalandrina  regarding the fear of how you look I invite you to do the same thing I said to Ricki.  Read my topic
The Joys of Not Passing topic.  It should be back on page one because I am going to add a you tube link that I like to post here every few months.  When you see MY pics you will think OMG if SHE can go out in public so can I.   :D ;D
  •  

jkredman

Quote from: Ricki Wright on May 17, 2019, 08:52:53 AM

Ricki

First of all congrats!!!!

Yes the general and unfamiliar sense of peace is one I experience frequently (and immensely enjoy.)

Bursting into tears of joy is also a frequent side effect that I experience - as well as tears of sadness.

The more energy was a little slow in coming, but now that it's here I seem to have a lot of pain in the evening.   (It's called over doing.)

No salt cravings though.  But, maybe cute top cravings.

Kate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kate
  •