Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

An Adelaide Girls VFS surgery

Started by LizK, January 23, 2019, 05:02:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudiBlueEyes

Best wishes to you Liz!  Here's to a healthy outcome.  Cheers.
But now old friends they're acting strange
They shake their heads, they say I've changed
Well something's lost, but something's gained
In living every day.
  •  

LizK

About 20minutes from surgery..all gowned up in the waiting room ready to go through...feeling really nervous...definitely more so than my GCS... go figure lol should be back in the land of the living about 11am

Liz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: LizK on January 31, 2019, 04:25:51 PM
About 20minutes from surgery..all gowned up in the waiting room ready to go through...feeling really nervous...definitely more so than my GCS... go figure lol should be back in the land of the living about 11am

Liz

@LizK
Dear Liz:
On your behalf, I have my fingers and my toes crossed you ...
...wishing you a very successful outcome. 

I will eagerly be looking for your followup reports

Now, if I could just cross my eyes for you too !!!  :o ::)

Hugs and my best wishes to you.
Danielle

****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

Jessica

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

LizK

All done sitting up on the ward...Throat is sore when I swallow (expected) but drinking fine and may even go home this afternoon. Will be reviewed this afternoon.

HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

LizK

Quote from: Jessica on January 31, 2019, 06:08:12 PM
Big hugs girl!  You'll do great!
Thanks Jessica appreciate your kind words [emoji8]

HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

LizK

Quote from: Alaskan Danielle on January 31, 2019, 06:05:24 PM
@LizK
Dear Liz:
On your behalf, I have my fingers and my toes crossed you ...
...wishing you a very successful outcome. 

I will eagerly be looking for your followup reports

Now, if I could just cross my eyes for you too !!!  :o ::)

Hugs and my best wishes to you.
Danielle

Thanks Danielle everything is progressing nicely as far as I can tell.  Sitting up drinking keeping quiet lol [emoji23]

HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

LizK

discharged from hospital in the next half hour....apparently I am a "tough old bird"...received instructions from Iffy(GCS surgeons nurse) to  "REST PROPERLY" for the weekend...along with strict instructions of no talking till Monday afternoon and then only 10 minutes per hour for the rest of the week...not allowed to use my mobile phone to talk from Monday afternoon till Saturday afternoon

Voice surgeon said he was really pleased with the surgery and I had the biggest larynx he had ever seen.

All in all really good.

Liz
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

Jessica

Quote from: LizK on January 31, 2019, 10:28:59 PM
discharged from hospital in the next half hour....apparently I am a "tough old bird"...received instructions from Iffy(GCS surgeons nurse) to  "REST PROPERLY" for the weekend...along with strict instructions of no talking till Monday afternoon and then only 10 minutes per hour for the rest of the week...not allowed to use my mobile phone to talk from Monday afternoon till Saturday afternoon

Voice surgeon said he was really pleased with the surgery and I had the biggest larynx he had ever seen.

All in all really good.

Liz

Wonderful news Liz!   You are a tough old bird, but soon you'll be singing like a robin.

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

Laurie

Great news Liz. Michelle and I were out and about today but I had reminders set so we knew just when you were supposed to be getting the surgery going. Glad it went well and glad you get to go home. Behave yourself and follow the nurse's and doc's instructions.

Hugs,
  Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

LizK

I did behave myself and was discharged yesterday after about a 30 minute wait.

Throat has been a little sore but nothing of any great problem a bit like when you have a bad cold and you throat gets scratchy. Needed some Endone last night but today had some Panadol early when I got up but have been fine since.

I can't wait to see how my voice sounds the early indications from the my coughing etc makes me think I will easily be within female range...but will get to test my voice on Monday afternoon. I did a couple of recordings on Thursday as a baseline comparison which I will post on Monday after my first talking session.

I have muttered a few words without thinking however nothing of any consequence and I am sure it won't do me any harm...normal talk reflexes are hard to stop. But I am aware of it.

I asked the Dr why I  have to be quiet for 3 days instead of 2 weeks and whether taking some extra time will be beneficial  but he told me that after about 3 days of not talking the muscles begin to become weak and damaged which prolongs the amount of treatment required...so as I suspected he has refined his technique and aftercare

Will update again on Monday

Liz
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

LizK

Day 3 Post op

Today is talk day. I will get to hear what my voice sounds like if only briefly.

Sunday's pain was worse than Saturday, with more pain and scratchiness than Saturday. Almost felt like I had taken a step backwards. I don't really know why yesterday was worse as i was pretty careful on Saturday but today(Monday) it is better again.

The surgeon Suggested that late this afternoon I can speak softly. I am home on my own so get to hear it privately. I am quite apprehensive as to how it will sound. I did almost speak on a couple of occasions on Saturday and once on Sunday (more of a whisper )...it sounded quite high pitched to me but to be honest it was very hard to tell from the one of two fleeting partial words that slipped out. Tomorrow I will post audio of my old voice alongside my new after I have seen my HRT Dr.

I doubt I will be able to say that much anyway as my throat is still a little sore so until tomorrow afternoon.

Take care

Liz
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

LizK

I couldn't wait any longer and had a go at talking

OMG...I couldn't say anything nothing...then slowly I found how to get my voice working and over the period of about 10 -15 minutes I tried a few different things and I have a voice...

It appears to be piching somewhere in the 250's and as high as the 350 but its all very hard to tell

When I finally relaxed and stopped panicking I was able to make a recoding of my voice which sounds pretty high piched to me but then again I am used to my 147 average. Its only a few days and I am sure with time and therapy it will settle down a bit. When I first tried to speak it was as I always have and that just doesn't work anymore. When I heard the higher pitch I naturally tried to to bring it down which of course didn't work. I also need to be well lubricated in order for it to work.

Its all alearning curve and now I have to be quiet for the next hour LOL I can feel the small amount that I have said already.

As I said will post some recordings tomorrow

Liz

HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

NatalieRene

Soon you will be chirping right along. I'm Interested in hearing your difference but make sure that you don't over do it and hurt yourself.
  •  

Rachel

Hi Liz, after my surgery my HZ was in the 350 HZ range. I am 210 to 230 HZ base range now. It took about 6 months for the HZ to come down. I am settled now and it is not lowering. I am still not use to my new voice. It sounds so different in my head.

Good luck and remember recovery takes time. I found that cold water helps with the pain.
HRT  5-28-2013
FT   11-13-2015
FFS   9-16-2016 -Spiegel
GCS 11-15-2016 - McGinn
Hair Grafts 3-20-2017 - Cooley
Voice therapy start 3-2017 - Reene Blaker
Labiaplasty 5-15-2017 - McGinn
BA 7-12-2017 - McGinn
Hair grafts 9-25-2017 Dr.Cooley
Sataloff Cricothyroid subluxation and trachea shave12-11-2017
Dr. McGinn labiaplasty, hood repair, scar removal, graph repair and bottom of  vagina finished. urethra repositioned. 4-4-2018
Dr. Sataloff Glottoplasty 5-14-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal in office procedure 10-22-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal revision 2 4-3-2019 Bottom of vagina closed off, fat injected into the labia and urethra repositioned.
Dr. Thomas in 2020 FEMLAR
  •  

KayXo

My average range was deemed just below androgynous at around 140-150 and yet, I always pass as female on the phone because my resonance is female due to the way I use muscles when speaking.
I am not a medical doctor, nor a scientist - opinions expressed by me on the subject of HRT are merely based on my own review of some of the scientific literature over the last decade or so, on anecdotal evidence from women in various discussion forums that I have come across, and my personal experience

On HRT since early 2004
Post-op since late 2005
  •  

LizK

Quote from: Rachel on February 09, 2019, 09:52:33 AM
Hi Liz, after my surgery my HZ was in the 350 HZ range. I am 210 to 230 HZ base range now. It took about 6 months for the HZ to come down. I am settled now and it is not lowering. I am still not use to my new voice. It sounds so different in my head.

Good luck and remember recovery takes time. I found that cold water helps with the pain.

Thanks @Rachael

I was hoping that was the case and I can hear how "squeeky" I am at the moment. I am glad to hear it all settle down and after my little "test" Monday I have settled in a very quiet routine. I see the Dr on Wednesday and will post a further update then. I can actually squeak out an audible reply now but have tended to try and rest my voice as much as possible keeping in mind the Dr's instructions about doing some speaking to keep all the muscles exercised.
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

LizK

Quote from: KayXo on February 09, 2019, 10:11:15 AM
My average range was deemed just below androgynous at around 140-150 and yet, I always pass as female on the phone because my resonance is female due to the way I use muscles when speaking.

That is great outcome for you. I was always gendered correctly but that was due mainly to being able to use my "trained voice correctly combined with politeness by the other end but in a face to face situation I would drop out of my trained voice so easily when I forgot. My speech therapist is a lovely woman who will not pull any punches when it comes to being honest about how you sound. After my final session with her she agreed with my need for surgery to achieve the goal I wanted which was to fall consistently within female range even when I become emotional.
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

LizK

Saw my surgeon today

He said I am about 50% healed and everything is looking great...he gave me these images that he took during the operation. This is not everything that he did but a good idea

HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

Michelle_P

Good news, then.  And wow!  Welded that tissue right up!  That'll surely change things.
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •