Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Mustache dye

Started by Sawney1000000, February 05, 2019, 02:11:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sawney1000000

Hi!! Anyone here ever having any luck dying their lighter facial hair? My chin hair is black, but my mustache is still so light its hard to see. Would mustache/facial hair dye work to make it a lil better? I once tried it with normal hair dye for ladies, but it didnt stick or do anything at all.
I'm made of music and beautiful colors!!

I DONT HAVE AN INSIDE VOICE!!!!

•  

blackcat

Honestly, you might have some luck with tinting. You'd have to go to a salon for that, though, the product isn't sold over the counter. But, it's inexpensive (around $10) and would take about 10 minutes. Tint is what salons use for dying lashes and eyebrows, and it doesn't stain the skin, so it's easy to paint on and rub right off. There are lots of different shades to choose from.

You can also call and ask if there's a room where they could perform the service privately for you. The tint would last about two weeks.

Source: I am legally licensed to tint.  ;)
  •  

November_Fox

You can use henna. When I was still a "newb" (pre-T) I used it to dye my goatee.
Still have a blonde moustache, but it fills in, and you get used to it.

Also, they sell facial hair dye at any drugstore. Just try it and see how you like the result.
  •  

Ryuichi13

When I first started on T, I read about something called "the mascara trick."  You get mascara around the same color as your facial/head hair, and lightly brush just the mustache hairs with it to darken it.  I'd advise waterproof mascara if you go this route, and and as long as you don't rub at it, it stays pretty well. 

It worked pretty well for me until my beard started growing in.  My mustache is still barely there, but the (sparse) beard means I don't get misgendered anymore.  I can't wait for both to fill in more!

Good luck bro!

Ryuichi

•  

SeptagonScars

I've tried a few different techniques of dyeing my facial hair, cause mine is similar to yours: dark on chin etc, but lots of blonde in my mustache. Here'e how different things worked for me:

Regular hairdye: stick to skin as well (for a few days after) but stuck really well to the hairs. About a week or two later though I had visible blonde roots so had to re-dye it again. Also stings like hell on earth on my sensitive face skin, especially mustache area. I was praying to the gods for my sweet release during those excruciating 30 minutes I left it on. Despite those issues, this became my fave method, cause it looked the best and lasted the longest. I used the shades black and dark brown, depending on if I was dyeing my head hair black or keeping it closer to my natural dark brown.

Hairdye intended for men's facial hair: doesn't stick to the skin and also doesn't sting. I've only used the black shade of it though, and I've heard the lighter shades come out way darker than it says on the box. It also didn't stay looking good very long, barely a week, before I had re-do it. I bought this (called "Just for men") online from a webshop that sells beard care and barber stuff in general.

Dye for eye lashes and eyebrows: very similar to the beard dye. This I bought at a regular beauty store that sells makeup, hair styling products, nail polish, fake lashes, etc, you know. It didn't stain the skin, looked alright, had to re-do after about a week.

Regular mascara: difficult to avoid lumps and looked weird no matter how I tried to apply it. Also felt very stiff whenever I was smiling. Only stays for 1 day though and washes off easily. But also maybe my mascara sucks.

Also if your mustache hairs are really thin it might look like the dye didn't stick, cause very thin hairs just look lighter even when they're not. My blonde hairs are really thick and coarse so dyeing them black (or dark brown) made a huge difference. They seem to be terminal hairs as far as I can tell, but just stayed blonde, for whatever reason. I've also thought maybe I'm going grey already, but unlikely considering I got those hairs around age 26. Then more likely my beard just ended up being two-coloured, with light blonde and dark brown, which does happen for some cis men too. I'm a calico!

These days I don't dye my beard though, cause I only let it grow to a stubble before I shave it again. But I like the stubble so sometimes I maintain that for a while. Despite detransitioning I still like my facial hair, and feel strangely proud of it despite seeing myself as a woman, so I really don't mind talking about it.
Mar. 2009 - came out as ftm
Nov. 2009 - changed my name to John
Mar. 2010 - diagnosed with GID
Aug. 2010 - started T, then stopped after 1 year
Aug. 2013 - started T again, kept taking it since
Mar. 2014 - top surgery
Dec. 2014 - legal gender marker changed to male
Jul. 2018 - came out as cis woman and began detransition
Sep. 2018 - stopped taking T and changed my name to Laura
Oct. 2018 - got new ID-card

Medical Detransition plans: breast reconstruction surgery, change legal gender back to female.
  •