Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

timeline for GCS

Started by AnamethatstartswithE, January 20, 2019, 08:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnamethatstartswithE

Howdy all,

I'm at 7 months full time, and at some point I'd like to trade my outie for an innie. I understand that I have to be full time for a year before I am qualified to get the procedure, I was wondering what can I do now, and what do I have to wait for? Can I start consulting with surgeons before my 1 year mark?

Just so we're clear I'm not taking this lightly. The whole concept is scary for me. At the same time I can't really see myself not doing it. Furthermore, my insurance currently covers it, and I don't know how long that will be the case with Trump in the white house.
  •  

NatalieRene

You can get your consultation but I don't think you can book it until you have the letters in hand. Now is a good time to research who you want to have do the work and save your money and accrue pro time.
  •  

Denise

Electrolysis!

Most surgeons require it and it takes time.  I did it in 4 months but it was not 100% complete. 

My electrolysist says 6 sessions at least 6 weeks apart but 8 is better. So your looking at 9 months to a year to get it done.

Good luck

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

1st Person out: 16-Oct-2015
Restarted Spironolactone 26-Aug-2016
Restarted Estradiol Valerate: 02-Nov-2016
Full time: 02-Mar-2017
Breast Augmentation (Schechter): 31-Oct-2017
FFS (Walton in Chicago): 25-Sep-2018
Vaginoplasty (Schechter): 13-Dec-2018

A haiku in honor of my grandmother who loved them.

The Voices are Gone
Living Life to the Fullest
I am just Denise
  •  

AnamethatstartswithE

Quote from: Denise on January 20, 2019, 08:23:56 PM
Electrolysis!

Most surgeons require it and it takes time.  I did it in 4 months but it was not 100% complete. 

My electrolysist says 6 sessions at least 6 weeks apart but 8 is better. So your looking at 9 months to a year to get it done.

Good luck

hmm, good (and painful sounding) point.
  •  

AnneK

QuoteI understand that I have to be full time for a year before I am qualified to get the procedure

That depends on where you live.  In Ontario, where I live, RLE is no longer part of the process.  However, you have to be on hormones for a year before any surgery.
I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.
  •  

Harley Quinn

Depends on the surgeon.  At 7 months, you could possibly get on the books for a consultation in the States.  Some of these surgeons are booked for "consults" a year or 2 out.  You'll have your letters by then.  Other surgeons need everything up front to make an appointment for the consult.

I defined my "full time" as living as myself in everyday life.  Not necessarily just my clothing choice.  They took me on my word for full time, so I was "technically" full time for years prior to hormones.  If that's the case with you and your doctors, you could get your letters now.  Just depends on what kind of relationship you have with them.

Time flies when it comes to GRS. If you're required to get electrolysis, then plan on "staying very busy" for a year.  I did all my electrolysis in 6 months.  I was 4 and 5 days a week for 1.5-3 hours+ at a time.  Laser is less involved, and folicle scraping only is easy.
At what point did my life go Looney Tunes? How did it happen? Who's to blame?... Batman, that's who. Batman! It's always been Batman! Ruining my life, spoiling my fun! >:-)
  •  

LizK

Having just completed my surgery and still in recovery apart from the electrolysis, getting yourself fit (physical and mental) is another important step as it is a very demanding surgery both physically and mentally.

Liz
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

jill610

Quote from: LizK on January 30, 2019, 05:08:10 AM
Having just completed my surgery and still in recovery apart from the electrolysis, getting yourself fit (physical and mental) is another important step as it is a very demanding surgery both physically and mentally.

Liz

I completely second this.

I lost 150# in 2017 and feel that being smaller in size and very fit and healthy has helped me breeze through recovery for the most part.

When I had BA, a girlfriend of mine remarked that I recovered weeks before she did. With GCS, I had FFS at the same time and that put a huge load on my body. The first week kinda sucked but mostly from the facial work.

One of the issues I'm having right now is a huge appetite the last few weeks since I still have a few months before strenuous activity. If I wasn't already fit and having decent self control I'd be fattening up a lot.

The dialation is what it is. Meltzer clinics schedule is

•  

Denise

Wow.  4 times per day! 

Dr Loren Schechter, Chicago, did my surgery.
Dilation started 2 weeks after surgery.  (I have a friend who was told not to start for 3!) Then 3 times per day.  This is where the instructions are clear, but questioning what they really mean.  Switch to 2 times per day at 6 weeks post surgery.  Does that mean 4 weeks worth?  That's what it says.

I'm going 6 weeks of 3-a-days. It's better more than less.

The Voices are Gone
I am just Denise
  •  

LizK

I started I week post op 3 times per day moving when comfortable to increase  the dilators size. 20 minutes per session split into 15 minutes one size then 5 minutes with a larger size moving to 10 when comfortable and so on. By about 8 weeks reduce to  2 times a day

Denise what you described Sounds confusing although at 6weeks you could easily be ready for two. I would have thought 3 weeks before starting was an awfully long wait... but each surgeon seems to have their own regime

Liz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

jill610

Dialating seems to vary by surgeon. I am 3 weeks post op and just stepped up to #2 but am 4x per day for another week I believe. I skipped a dialation yesterday and did not notice and differences.

I think once you hit 6 months, the 1x or less per day makes it all very manageable. To me the most annoying thing is actually the douching multiple times per week.

•  

Denise

I use a water douche whenever I dilate at home.  I'm hoping in the shower so I fill a small (12oz?) Douche with just warm water and clean out the lube that may be in there.

I'm weening off of 3x per day now.  I find that if I go longer than 12 hours between the discomfort increases.

The Voices are Gone
I am just Denise
  •  

Rachel

I scheduled my GCS with Dr. McGinn a few days before going Full time for one year and one day after going full time.

I had to have a letter from my therapist with all the parameters Dr. McGinn listed on her web site prior to the consult. I consulted with Dr. McGinn about a year before going full time.

I started genital electrolysis 1 year before GCS and was done about 4 months before GCS. I had a personal trainer and went to a LGBT gym to prep for GCS. I still go to a gym now but it is CIS / hetero one where I live.

I recommend you research a few surgeons and visit with them. Get your paperwork in order and then make an informed decision. I had unique genitals and Dr. McGinn has been absolutely wonderful to me. If I had gone to another surgeon that was far away it would have been very difficult. I had GCS, was closed up a week after GCS, a revision and another revision in April. I saw them 15 times since my GCS and I saw her 5 times before my GCS. I chose Dr. McGinn because of her reputation and proximity but I never expected to have been treated so incredibly well.

I wish you well on your journey. If you have any specific questions you can PM me. 

HRT  5-28-2013
FT   11-13-2015
FFS   9-16-2016 -Spiegel
GCS 11-15-2016 - McGinn
Hair Grafts 3-20-2017 - Cooley
Voice therapy start 3-2017 - Reene Blaker
Labiaplasty 5-15-2017 - McGinn
BA 7-12-2017 - McGinn
Hair grafts 9-25-2017 Dr.Cooley
Sataloff Cricothyroid subluxation and trachea shave12-11-2017
Dr. McGinn labiaplasty, hood repair, scar removal, graph repair and bottom of  vagina finished. urethra repositioned. 4-4-2018
Dr. Sataloff Glottoplasty 5-14-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal in office procedure 10-22-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal revision 2 4-3-2019 Bottom of vagina closed off, fat injected into the labia and urethra repositioned.
Dr. Thomas in 2020 FEMLAR
  •