News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Orchiectomy

Started by SusanL, February 12, 2019, 03:41:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linde

Quote from: josie76 on February 13, 2019, 08:25:23 PM
You know I had no blood pooling issues at all. My urologist cut the tubes and veins up into the inguinal canals but asside from stitching them closed he burned them closed. Honestly the midline was "simple" for me. The biggest problems I had we're the cat gut sutures that were used. My body really did not like those. In fact it caused my white blood count to be extremely high for nearly 2 mo the after before returning to normal levels. Those stitches caused me the most issue.
Cauterization is the modern way to close vessels.  A cauterizer is very often used to make incisions in body parts from which heavy bleeding is expected.  I have to talk to the surgeon if Steri Strips could be used for closing the wound?
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

Belladona

I had steri strips! I would say that you probably can't have them if you get the simple method done, wouldn't the scrotum be too pliable for the steri strips to hold??
  •  

Belladona

Also I didn't have any bleeding or pooling issues  :)
  •  

Linde

Quote from: Belladona on February 13, 2019, 11:36:32 PM
I had steri strips! I would say that you probably can't have them if you get the simple method done, wouldn't the scrotum be too pliable for the steri strips to hold??
That depends on the person who applies them.  If that would not go, skin adhesive should be great, too!  The problem is that many older surgeons do not like to relearn their techniques, and don't go to classes where they could learn new wound closure methods!
(I worked in the labs who created both of these wound closure means)

•  

christinej78

Hi Folks,                       14 February 2019

One item I think needs attention and has been overlooked by everyone, including me, is the skill of the surgeon you choose to do your orchiectomy. Before I made my decision on who was going to do mine, I did a lot of research into this subject. I have had so many surgeries I cannot keep track of them. None have been from illness, just "Damage Control" for injuries that occurred due to some of my stupid "Human Tricks," like skiing sloops I had no business looking at, let alone skiing. Hot Dogging it with a chainsaw; does a wonderful job of making normal body parts indistinguishable from ground meat.

All these "repairs" required surgery of some sort. Some are impossible to detect and others are quite noticeable. What I am getting at is the skill of the surgeon you choose; I chose the surgeon that did my orchie based upon my research into the three main types of orchiectomy performed; my findings indicated that Inguinal was the best method for the outcome I wanted. I asked around and got several referrals to the surgeon I eventually chose. He and the other surgeons in his practice, only perform the inguinal orchiectomy, and they do a lot of them.

I have a urologist I see on a regular basis who does a lot of various urological procedures. I would not want him doing my Orchiectomy because that's not something he does a lot of. Another thing I failed to mention was my surgeon used only dissolvable sutures with none being visible. After the incisions were sutured internally, a small strip of tape was placed over the incisions allowing them to heal without scabbing over, a major source of scaring.

At some point I will have bottom surgery, which will take place after I relocate to Phoenix. I've heard a lot of good things about Dr. Ley so I will schedule an appointment with her. If I feel comfortable with her doing my surgery she'll get to work her magic in making me more anatomically feminine. I know I will need FFS if I'm ever going to pass. Right now my face looks like the south end of a northbound mule heading for the glue factory.

Best to do your homework and choose a doctor that will meet your expectations. The orchiectomy is a one shot deal, no "Do-Overs" with this procedure; choose wisely.

Best Always, Love
Christine
Veteran - US Navy                                       Arborist, rigger, climber, sawyer
Trans Woman 13 Apr 18                               LEO (Cop)
Living as female - 7 years                             Pilot
Start HRT san's AA's 27 March 2018              Mechanic
Borchiday completed Friday 13 Apr 2018        Engineer Multi Discipline
IT Management Consultant                            Programmer
Friend                                                          Bum, Bumett
Semi Retired                                                Still Enjoy Being a Kid, Refuse to Grow UP
Former Writer / Editor                                   Carpenter / Plumber / Electrician
Ex-Biker, Ex-Harley Driver                             Friend of a Coyote
Ex-Smoker 50 years and heading for 100
  •  

Linde

Quote from: christinej78 on February 14, 2019, 03:11:28 AM
Hi Folks,                       14 February 2019

Best to do your homework and choose a doctor that will meet your expectations. The orchiectomy is a one shot deal, no "Do-Overs" with this procedure; choose wisely.

Best Always, Love
Christine
Christine, I did just that.  The urology partnership I am with has two docs wo do all the surgeries.  They are the biggest partnership in this neck of the country and associated with the Mayo Clinic.  This allows them to draw on all of my medical files.
The first urologist I saw referred me to on of the surgeons, and this is the one who will do my surgery.
That is as good as  can do, and  have to hope that I made the right decission.  He said that he will but the cords as high up as possible, and will cauterize the ends.  this way hey cannot connect with the surrounding tissue when healing.  I hope I made the right decission, but one never knows!

•  

christinej78

Quote from: Dietlind on February 14, 2019, 08:51:29 AM
Christine, I did just that.  The urology partnership I am with has two docs wo do all the surgeries.  They are the biggest partnership in this neck of the country and associated with the Mayo Clinic.  This allows them to draw on all of my medical files.
The first urologist I saw referred me to on of the surgeons, and this is the one who will do my surgery.
That is as good as  can do, and  have to hope that I made the right decission.  He said that he will but the cords as high up as possible, and will cauterize the ends.  this way hey cannot connect with the surrounding tissue when healing.  I hope I made the right decission, but one never knows!

Hi Linde,                         14 February 2019

Happy Valentine's Day everyone.

I'm not worried about the decisions you make; you have a unique perspective on this due to your intellect, education and years of experience in the medical field.

Take care Linde, I know everything will all turn out fine for you.

One of my regrets is that I didn't get to take my jewels home in a jar. Since I do have photos of them, once I relocate to Phoenix, I am going to search for a jeweler that will make a life-size replicate pair of silver charms, based upon those photos. They should make for interesting conversation.

Last but not least, I do Not miss those two dangly trouble makers; they caused more than their fair share of the problems I caused for others, which brings to mind an old saying: "Old too soon; smart too late." Glad they're history.

Best Always, Love
Christine
Veteran - US Navy                                       Arborist, rigger, climber, sawyer
Trans Woman 13 Apr 18                               LEO (Cop)
Living as female - 7 years                             Pilot
Start HRT san's AA's 27 March 2018              Mechanic
Borchiday completed Friday 13 Apr 2018        Engineer Multi Discipline
IT Management Consultant                            Programmer
Friend                                                          Bum, Bumett
Semi Retired                                                Still Enjoy Being a Kid, Refuse to Grow UP
Former Writer / Editor                                   Carpenter / Plumber / Electrician
Ex-Biker, Ex-Harley Driver                             Friend of a Coyote
Ex-Smoker 50 years and heading for 100
  •  

Julie -2010

I have an HMO so I'm not really going to be able to pick my surgeon.  My Endo Dr says that Kaiser (HMO) does it all the time so hopefully they have skill in doing it.

Thanks all for the information.  It is really helpful.

Julie
"me to be my true and authentic self, my own person, one who belonged to the infinitely loving Creator, with all the inherent flaws that come with it."  - Jonathan S. Williams
  •