Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Path to Finnish Citizenship!

Started by findingreason, February 05, 2019, 11:33:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

findingreason

I just thought I would share this. In 2020 I will be eligible for Finnish citizenship so long as my language requirements are met. I am working hard on learning Finnish and will take a couple classes later this year into early 2020.

I am excited.  :)

•  

AnneK

How long will it take to Finnish?   :D
I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.
  •  

Devlyn

Quote from: AnneK on February 05, 2019, 12:08:12 PM

We often see people talking about when their transition will be Finnished, but
by golly, I haven't seen it until now.  ;D
  •  

findingreason

Quote from: AnneK on February 05, 2019, 12:08:12 PM

Quote from: Devlyn on February 05, 2019, 12:49:00 PM
We often see people talking about when their transition will be Finnished, but
by golly, I haven't seen it until now.  ;D

Hehe, punny punny.   :D

I'll be applying for citizenship in August-September 2020,  and the process takes about 5-9 months. :)

•  

Linde

Quote from: findingreason on February 05, 2019, 02:52:54 PM
Hehe, punny punny.   :D

I'll be applying for citizenship in August-September 2020,  and the process takes about 5-9 months. :)
Would it take that long if one is a citizen of another Eu country?  But on the other hand, why would one want to become a citizen if one is one of the E?
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

findingreason

Quote from: Dietlind on February 05, 2019, 04:35:08 PM
Would it take that long if one is a citizen of another Eu country?  But on the other hand, why would one want to become a citizen if one is one of the E?

From what I read on Migri (Finnish Immigration Service), the rules would be essentially the same. If you are an EU citizen you may register a right to residence, but would still be required to wait 5 years of residence before applying for citizenship. (4 if you are a family member of someone in Finland)

•  

Linde

Quote from: findingreason on February 05, 2019, 04:48:10 PM
From what I read on Migri (Finnish Immigration Service), the rules would be essentially the same. If you are an EU citizen you may register a right to residence, but would still be required to wait 5 years of residence before applying for citizenship. (4 if you are a family member of someone in Finland)
Which advantages would Finish citizenship have over being an Eu citizen (except being able to vote)?

•  

findingreason

Quote from: Dietlind on February 05, 2019, 06:00:26 PM
Which advantages would Finish citizenship have over being an Eu citizen (except being able to vote)?

Well I am an American, so not an EU or Finnish citizen...for now. I want to live my life here for the rest of it. I want to be able to participate in elections like everyone here. Its also the symbolic meaning of being officially a citizen. I feel I belong here, and want to be recognised as such.

•  

Linde

Quote from: findingreason on February 05, 2019, 06:39:58 PM
Well I am an American, so not an EU or Finnish citizen...for now. I want to live my life here for the rest of it. I want to be able to participate in elections like everyone here. Its also the symbolic meaning of being officially a citizen. I feel I belong here, and want to be recognised as such.
I have dual citizenship, US/EU, and might to go over if this guy at the head would be re elected.  I have to decide to which EU country to go.

•  

Lisa89125

I am curious as to why Finland?

Lisa

"My inner self knows better than my outer self my true gender"

Not yet quite ready to post my real self.
  •  

Mendi

Quote from: Lisa89125 on February 08, 2019, 06:38:36 PM
I am curious as to why Finland?

Lisa

I´m curious too. Why on earth Finland?

And I´m Finnish...and even I wouldn´t come here and I am looking for alternatives to move somewhere else.

Being foreigner and trans together is not something that I would like to experience here. Being trans is hard enough...
  •  

Linde

Quote from: Mendi on February 10, 2019, 02:18:34 AM
I´m curious too. Why on earth Finland?

And I´m Finnish...and even I wouldn´t come here and I am looking for alternatives to move somewhere else.

Being foreigner and trans together is not something that I would like to experience here. Being trans is hard enough...
Which country would you move to?  I just read that Germany made it easier agan to be recognised as intersex, t no just requires wo letters from medical professionals to get the gender identifier X put in your documentation.

Transgender people are a legal group there since last year already.  I don't know how other countries handle it.  Going by the account of one writer here, it might be very difficult to receive timely services in Sweden

•  

Lisa89125

Well, Not only have I wanted to live as a girl my whole life, I have also wanted to move and live in the UK forever. Sadly though I don't think the latter would be very easy though.

Lisa

"My inner self knows better than my outer self my true gender"

Not yet quite ready to post my real self.
  •  

MeTony

Born in Finland. Grew up in Sweden. I must say I am impressed of your language skills when you learn finnish in a couple of years.

I have read finnish in school for 12 years, it is important to do that or you will forget your native tounge. When dementia hits you, you will speak your first language, if you don't have the words, you cannot communicate.

I've heared about problems in Finland for transgender people. It is a bit better in Sweden. Crimes against transgender people are now considered a hate crime, just like racist expressions. We no longer have to be sterilized.

But we have a gender clinique that has stopped all treatments because lack of funds. It sometimes takes years to go through gender therapy before you can get treatment.

But seen from their perspective there are not many in Sweden who transition back. I guess it's because they won't let you get treatments until they are absolutely sure about it.

Everything takes so much time.

Tony
  •  

Mendi

I don´t really care so much about our legistlation or "help" for trans issues, as I´ve gotten help from abroad, so I don´t need our gatekeeping system. I just showed Visa on the other gate and was allowed to enter  :D

But what I do care, is the attitute climate in this country and how people view minorities. All is well, good and sweet as long as you are a middle class person earning the avarage salary. But God help you, when you discover, that you belong to a minority, any minority. Then this country is far from civilized or even European.

Funny that this news was aired just few days ago. Tells a lot how it is being a foreigner and/or belong to a minority here. I certainly wouldnt like to be both at the same time;

https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/im_broken_depressed_foreigners_struggle_to_find_work_in_finland/10641139
  •  

Linde

It really seems to be a pretty close society in Finland, who uses the language as a barrier!  If even northern Europeans, who look mostly identical to Finish people, have problems with integration, I can't even imagine how it mot be for people who look quite a bit different of the Fins!
I wonder for how long Finland can continue to be an outsider in the Eu concerning free movement and integration of other EU citizens.  Finland might be able to do so at the moment, because the country is "tucked away" in a geographically remote corner of the EU, but for how long this will work, who knows?

•