Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Transition Experiences

Started by Alyxzandriah, March 16, 2019, 08:29:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alyxzandriah

Hi, I'm Alex. New here and recently have started my transition. I had a question regarding other people's experiences in comparison to my own. After deciding to transition, I began with hormones as many people do. I am 28, so I can expect many of my masculine traits to stick around. Coping with the dysphoria is difficult at times, but I do see a lot of improvements on that already. I am roughly 5 months on estrogen and spiro. I am trying my best to be patient and love myself every step of the way.
I was wondering though, has anyone here done a hormone-only transition? Perhaps due to fundage or lack of resources like access to a surgeon.. I know at my age I probably won't see too many changes in areas like my face, or with hair. I'm asking because the fear of not being able to afford much in the future. However, I feel as if I may decide I want electrolysis and FFS as the dysphoria in that particular area is by far the worst.. I am somewhat of a realist though, and the reality is I would rather have something than nothing at all. And hormones have already put my mind and body at ease to a good degree.
Thanks in advance for any information and/or personal experience. Especially if you are someone living full time on minimal transition.
  •  

KathyLauren

Hi, Alex!

Welcome to Susan's Place.

Quite a lot of people transition on HRT alone, without surgery, either due to cost or to other reasons.  I am sure you will find lots of people's experiences here.

You can look forward to some significant changes on HRT alone.  Your head hair will not likely change a lot, but body hair will probably decrease significantly.  Facial hair, not so much, so you may want to consider facial electrolysis as a priority.

At five months, you have probably noticed breast growth already.  Less obvious, you may notice some changes in your face.  My lips and eyes changed quite a lot.  I started HRT at age 62, so you are starting quite young in comparison, and might experience better changes than I did. 

Of course, everyone's body is different, and there are no guarantees.

Please feel free to stop by the Introductions forum to tell the members about yourself.  Here is some information that we like to share with new members:

Things that you should read

2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Hi Alex!

Welcome!   :)   

I hope that you will find Susan's to be helpful, I like it a lot!

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

CynthiaAnn

Hi Alex, time is your ally, at 28 you should have many years to work with.

Every day you are taking HRT, it's changing you, it's so subtle, that eventually the changes may sneak up on you. Some folks find themselves changed more than they anticipated at any point of time, you can read their stories out there. Glad you are experiencing the calm. Only speaking for myself, there was a time where I rationalized that I would not need or want surgery, this was after I started HRT, my needs changed over time, yours may also.

Wishing you a happy and safe journey Alex

Cynthia -

•  

Maid Marion

The consensus is that you want to remove facial hair first, as HRT just makes it harder to remove, not get rid of it.
Lasers need contrast to be effective.
  •  

Ann W

I've been on hormones for almost 2 years; the only other procedure I've had was laser hair removal therapy for my face (shaving areas). Electrolysis is extremely expensive -- more expensive than surgery.

Puberty can be a slow process; it's hard being patient, I know. We do what we can and hope for the best. At 28, you have a lot of time to make the money needed for additional procedures -- if you can avoid spending it on your wardrobe! :D That's a serious challenge!
  •  

Alyxzandriah

Thanks everyone!, your replies helped me a lot. One of the most common things I've seen searching online is people wishing they had started sooner. Knowing this I did not hesitate to seek help. After talking with a therapist and a doctor I came to the decision. Seeing rapid changes I had mixed feelings of euphoria and disappointment as it began to slow down. Although I often go back and forth with my patience, over time I know things will only get better. Patience, patience, patience! I'm trying not to be so hard on myself.
Hopefully I can keep an updated record of my journey so I can also contribute to those seeking solace in others experiences.

When I get the opportunity, I will explore Susan's Place a little deeper and share a bit of my story.

Thanks again for all the love, I most definitely appreciate it!
  •  

CarlyMcx

I started hormones at 53, and I've been on HRT for 2.5 years.

I have not had any surgery.

My avatar photo is really me, just hormones and makeup,

I'm a happy girl.
  •  

Dena

The list of my procedures is nose job, Adams apple shave, facial hair removal, bottom surgery and voice surgery. My avatar is how I looked about 4 years after surgery or after around 8 years of HRT. My hair style covers a mild brow ridge. Some of the modern surgery weren't available when I transitioned and I don't intend to have FFS. Voice surgery wasn't available so I waited until 4 years ago to get it.

Other people appear even more feminine than me without things like facial surgery so many of us can get by with HRT and facial hair removal. It just depends on your starting point.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

krobinson103

Quote from: Alyxzandriah on March 16, 2019, 08:29:56 AM
Hi, I'm Alex. New here and recently have started my transition. I had a question regarding other people's experiences in comparison to my own. After deciding to transition, I began with hormones as many people do. I am 28, so I can expect many of my masculine traits to stick around. Coping with the dysphoria is difficult at times, but I do see a lot of improvements on that already. I am roughly 5 months on estrogen and spiro. I am trying my best to be patient and love myself every step of the way.
I was wondering though, has anyone here done a hormone-only transition? Perhaps due to fundage or lack of resources like access to a surgeon.. I know at my age I probably won't see too many changes in areas like my face, or with hair. I'm asking because the fear of not being able to afford much in the future. However, I feel as if I may decide I want electrolysis and FFS as the dysphoria in that particular area is by far the worst.. I am somewhat of a realist though, and the reality is I would rather have something than nothing at all. And hormones have already put my mind and body at ease to a good degree.
Thanks in advance for any information and/or personal experience. Especially if you are someone living full time on minimal transition.

I'm 44 and started transition 2 years ago. Though I have surgery coming up soon (orchiodectomy) almost two years on hormones made a massive difference. My head hair is FAR better, arm and leg hair has just about give up. I had laser for my face. As for masculine traits? They are just about all gone - even my hands and feet are smaller. If I tried to pass as male now I'd be looked at funny...

Its only been 5 months you'll see bigger and better changes from round 8 months in and the second year rocks! Your age is not a barrier.
Every day is a totally awesome day
Every day provides opportunities and challenges
Every challenge leads to an opportunity
Every fear faced leads to one more strength
Every strength leads to greater success
Success leads to self esteem
Self Esteem leads to happiness.
Cherish every day.
  •  

pamelatransuk

Hello Alyxzandriah

Many of us do not have any surgeries for various reasons.

I am 13 months HRT and 7 months BHR (Body Hair Removal by Laser and Electrolysis).

In the first few months of HRT my benefits were mainly mental and emotional and the only major physical one being softer skin. I was obviously pleased to feel breast buds as a prerequisite of something to come shortly thereafter.

After 8 months my boobs finally became noticeable which greatly increased my confidence. After 12 months I could see significant facial changes.

It is also my experience that things happen more significantly and faster after 9/10 months HRT.

I wish you every happiness and success on your HRT journey.

Hugs

Pamela

•  

NatalieRene

Quote from: Alyxzandriah on March 16, 2019, 08:29:56 AM

It really depends on your build. I started my transition at 28 years old and haven't had any issues. I didn't need FFS or VFS. Although it's possible you might. Each persons transition is unique your mileage will vary.

To provide you an idea of my results from transitioning at 28: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,243775.msg2221760.html#msg2221760
  •