Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Out of Pocket HRT Costs in Southern California

Started by Ravens_cry, February 22, 2019, 03:33:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ravens_cry

This is all theoretical at this point, but I am in a long distance relationship I one day would like to make short distance more often, possibly full time. However, I am in another country, Canada specifically, and I wonder if anyone could tell me what the monthly costs of MtF HRT typically are in Southern California, if I were to pay for everything out of pocket without assistance.
  •  

sarahc

You can look up drug prices at www.goodrx.com. They show you the retail price and the price with deals at all the major pharmacies.
----
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,244009.0.html)
Hope to go full-time: July / August 2019
FFS / SRS: 2020
  •  

Ravens_cry

Quote from: sarahc on February 22, 2019, 04:08:27 PM
You can look up drug prices at www.goodrx.com. They show you the retail price and the price with deals at all the major pharmacies.
OK thank you very much! That, wow, much more reasonable than I thought!
  •  

sarahc

Quote from: Ravens_cry on February 22, 2019, 06:49:13 PM
OK thank you very much! That, wow, much more reasonable than I thought!

Yes...if you're getting generics. it should be a few hundred US dollars out of pocket per year at most. Make sure you buy in bulk as much as possible. You're usually limited to getting a 90-day supply at a time, but make sure you're getting 90-day supplies. Also make sure you go with places that generally sell drugs more cheaply...for instance, Costco is usually pretty cheap (although you may have to be a Costco member to use Costco). If you go with a traditional pharmacy, do sign up for their clubs, because being in those clubs can provide meaningful discounts.
----
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,244009.0.html)
Hope to go full-time: July / August 2019
FFS / SRS: 2020
  •