Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Insurer Judges a Church's Stance as Too Risky

Started by Natasha, January 08, 2008, 05:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Natasha

Insurer Judges a Church's Stance as Too Risky

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119974523121273089.html
01/08/2008

A small Protestant church in Adrian, Mich., has weathered controversies surrounding abolition, the Civil War, desegregation and Vietnam since it was established in 1836. Now, because its denomination supports gay rights, the church has been deemed too risky for property insurance.

•  

tekla

Insurance companies have a lot of power.  One of the promoters I work for has been slammed for not having more hip-hop concerts, but the fact is, the insurance company will not cover such events.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Hazumu

I do NOT like the precedent this would set.

All the more reason for laws that will protect against any such tyranny.

Karen
  •  

Autumn

By turning them down for insurance they are likely inciting violence against them since those who would be willing to do something like that now know they'll be hurt even worse by it.
  •  

Suzy

Well that's total BS.  I know a number of people from UCC churches.  They are about as unexciting and noncontroversial as church people can possibly be.  What a terrible precedent.

Kristi
  •  

tekla

Why does a church need insurance in the first place?  Ain't the higher power looking out for them?  Or are they mistaken about all that stuff in the first place?
  •  

Pica Pica

my dad's church is not insured against acts of god - so if the holy spirit descendeth in balls of flame, they are screweth.
'For the circle may be squared with rising and swelling.' Kit Smart
  •  

BeverlyAnn

Quote from: tekla on January 08, 2008, 10:52:50 PM
Why does a church need insurance in the first place?  Ain't the higher power looking out for them?  Or are they mistaken about all that stuff in the first place?

Because we have people who go around stealing copper from A/C units (we've been hit twice) and catalytic converters off church vans from the church down the street. 

Beverly
  •  

tekla

As welleth they should beeth.  After all, what an "act of god" if not for that?

And, where is your god when poor people are stealing from your rich church.  Perhaps god is not on the side you think he/she/is is.
  •  

BeverlyAnn

Quote from: tekla on January 08, 2008, 11:13:23 PM
As welleth they should beeth.  After all, what an "act of god" if not for that?

And, where is your god when poor people are stealing from your rich church.  Perhaps god is not on the side you think he/she/is is.

Rich church? LOL  Yes, I guess we are rich in faith at that.  But if you, in your world, equate rich with money or material things, then no we aren't. 

Since this is the News forum, any further discussion needs to be moved to the Spirituality forum.

Beverly

•  

tekla

Silly me, I thought god protected people, not property.  But what would I know.  Most of the Catholic churches here are being sold off to an art college to pay for lawsuits.  As it turned out, god did not protect alter boys all that well, but lawyers did.
  •