News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

When It All Comes Together

Started by sally0196, February 17, 2019, 08:04:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sally0196

When It All Comes Together

Last night I had a dinner date with a friend, so a little after noon I started getting ready.  Why so early in the day, you might be asking?  Well, my plan was do a couple of errands before my friend and I met for dinner, but more importantly, it takes me quite a bit of time to transform, because I always put a lot of effort into my feminine presentation.  By 3pm, I was ready to leave the house.  On this particular outing, my wife wasn't joining me, so I bid her farewell and was on my way.

It was a beautiful Saturday afternoon in central New Jersey.  I drove to a local shopping center that had stores meeting my errand needs.  It's busy on the weekends here, as everyone is usually out getting their own errands done, so I wasn't surprised by the throngs of people out and about, or the all-to-common problem of finding a parking space.  I had to park quite a distance from the store, so I was happy that I'd chosen boots as my footwear instead of high-heel pumps.  Still, I think I was the only woman wearing a skirt, not an uncommon occurrence when I'm out, but it's my style choice.  I've never been one to dress "down" just to blend in.

Anyway, I enjoyed being out in the hustle and bustle and did my best to be social and engaging.  My efforts were rewarded by enjoyable conversations with several of the other shoppers.  It still kind of surprises me that my feminine self-expression isn't an issue, but I'm thrilled and it's empowering to know most people accept me for who I am.
Errands finished, it was time to head to the restaurant where I was meeting my friend for dinner.  Our reservation was for 5:30pm, early I know, but being a very popular choice on a Saturday, there weren't any later times available.  We met at the bar for a drink, chatted with the bartender and a couple of the waitstaff, then we were seated for dinner.  By 5:45, the restaurant was filled nearly to capacity.

Dinner was wonderful, but again, it was the evening's social interactions that were most memorable.  Take for example, the way our server addressed us as "ladies," and how on one trip the ladies' room, an older gentleman went out of his way to say hello to me, or the way a couple of younger women simply smiled at me as I walked by.  Each of those interactions reinforces fact that my feminine presentation is appreciated.

On the way home after dinner, I stopped at a Starbucks for a cup of cappuccino.  The particular store I chose was located next to a large mall, so again, being a Saturday evening, finding a parking space was difficult.  I did finally find one, even though it meant another long walk.  When I entered, I was surprised how few people were inside, given the number of people around.

The young woman that took my drink order immediately wanted to talk about my nails.  She told me they were beautiful and that she was jealous of me.  The nails I'd chosen for the evening were longer coffin-tipped nails and they were painted red.  She and I talked about the fact that Starbucks employees are not allowed to have anything other than natural nails and no nail polish.  I told her, I didn't think I'd be able to work somewhere that didn't allow me to have brightly colored nails.  We chatted the whole time my drink was being prepared, just two women discussing girl stuff.  Too soon though, I had to get going, so, reluctantly I said my goodbyes.

I know that part of the reason I am so well accepted when I'm out is that I'm sociable.  I'm not afraid to speak with strangers, and I always have a smile for anyone I pass by.  But I know there's more to my acceptance than just my friendly nature.  I believe a lot of it has to do with the efforts I take with my appearance and my presentation.  When I look good, it boosts my self-confidence, and that self-confidence has a positive impact on those around me.  And even though my feminine presentation may not be foolproof, the efforts I take with my appearance always gets noticed and acknowledged by others.

Hugs,

Sally   

•  

Ciara

What a lovely story Sally. Thank you for sharing your lovely day.
:) :)

Ciara.
I don't have a gender issue.
I love being a girl.

•  

Finding Lauren

Sally,

You are so brave.
My stomach is in knots just wearing girl's shorts out. 
I even bought women's cycling shorts that were indistinguishable from men's, just for the stamp inside!  That I knew they were not men's was enough at the time, but I added a nice white girl's cycling top later, and it was slightly feminine.  The feeling of being out is wonderful.  Being fully feminine in appearance is such a wild thought.

Lauren
  •  

sally0196

Lauren,

When I think back on it, I find it hard to believe that I'm out fully now.  I was so terrified those first few times.  I took it slowly at first, and built up my courage bit by bit.  Obviously, that worked, because here I am now a fully-social trans woman.  If I can do it, anyone can.  Keep taking little steps towards your goal and you'll get there.  And make sure to have fun along the way!

Hugs,

Sally
  •