Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

LizK

I have been AWOL the last couple of days as I have had life get in the way of being on the board. About 3 months ago I took a chance and bought a cheap metal detector....Now before you all start giving me a hard time about "finding my fortune" I have to say in my defence that is not what it was really about...maybe a little but certainly not the primary motivation

I wanted a way to exercise without putting to much stress on my stupid hip. The worst of it being when I have to get down to dig a target...however there are a number of ways to avoid that? This seemed to be a pretty good compromise exercise wise and I have to admit....I'm hooked...I get exercise albeit a bit slow but I cover the ground regardless.

I went out on Thursday and bought myself a very expensive one and have spent the last 3 days learning how to use it. I found a number of interesting items...one of the worst parts of this hobby is the huge amount of trash you can end up digging. With my new one I only dug 10% trash and the rest was either money or artefacts which I then take home and try and work out what they are and if they have any value.

I guess it's really just a modern take on treasure hunting without the pirates [emoji23]...

I am always stunned at the amount of trash people leave lying about or buried just under the surface. One of the things I do that gives me a great deal of satisfaction is cleaning play grounds of dangerous items. Bits of old wire, broken bottle tops, assorted pieces of jagged metal are all things I have removed from these playgrounds. I have pulled some incredibly dangerous stuff out of the "bark bed" that is usually used for these kinds of area's.

I also had my last voice therapy session today with my therapist saying there is not much more she can do for me and thinks my voice is great. As do I...it still has some "maturing" to do but the pitch is stable and it has smoothed out considerably. I will follow up with her in a couple months and see if there is anything new I may want help with but essentially that is it.

Liz

HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

CynthiaAnn

Quote from: LizK on May 25, 2019, 04:05:47 AM

One of the things I do that gives me a great deal of satisfaction is cleaning play grounds of dangerous items. Bits of old wire, broken bottle tops, assorted pieces of jagged metal are all things I have removed from these playgrounds. I have pulled some incredibly dangerous stuff out of the "bark bed" that is usually used for these kinds of area's.

That's a really nice and a thoughtful way to use your new equipment Liz  :) I get a feeling that someday you are going to find something valuable (gold / diamond ring) that will pay you back for this kindness, I really hope that happens. I love to read your stories. Hope the hip is holding up well enough.

Good morning from here

Cynthia -
  •  

LizK

Hi Cynthia

That would be great to find something really valuable but I hope it's an old coin or something and not someone's precious jewellery that I cannot return to them. I really don't mind I remember my little girl hurting her foot on something at a playground when she was little and I have never forgotten he anguish it caused Meryl and I.

Anyway it's not actual too hard to do and it gets me out [emoji16]. Glad you enjoy my stories.

Liz

HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

Drexy/Drex

Cool Liz ...are you going down the beach with it? Be great to get some space and fresh salt air ,
And what about old diggings ?
Up here it's iron ore country but there's gold to found ...gold goes to the lowest point , so stream beds , and dry billabong's can have potential , good luck ....it's a smart way to get out and about🤘
Everything
  Louder
   Than
Everything
    Else
  •