Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Best GRS doctor

Started by Litaw.wolf, March 26, 2019, 07:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Litaw.wolf

I have already chosen my doctors for my facial feminization surgery and my breast augmentation. I plan on having them both done at the same time next year August.

Now I am searching for a gender reassignment surgery doctor.
My biggest concern is choosing a Doctor Who isn't the best I would guess. Considering how big of a step this is I am looking for the very best doctor in the United States to perform the surgery. I don't care about race or gender I only care about having the best doing the work.

Would anybody here have any recommendation on maybe either top three or top five gender reassignment doctors in the United States?
  •  

AnonyMs

Does it have to be the USA? Some believe the best is in Thailand.
  •  

StacyRenee

I would say the top three are: Dr. Marci Bowers in San Francisco, Dr. Christine McGinn in New Hope (near Philadelphia), PA, and Dr Jess Ting in NYC. The first two are transgender women! Dr. Pierre Brassard in Montreal is also highly recommended. Those are the top names I've heard bantered about.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

•  

Litaw.wolf

Quote from: AnonyMs on March 26, 2019, 08:30:30 AM
Does it have to be the USA? Some believe the best is in Thailand.

Yes. I'd like to stay here in the states
  •  

Litaw.wolf

Quote from: StacyRenee on March 26, 2019, 08:52:08 AM
I would say the top three are: Dr. Marci Bowers in San Francisco, Dr. Christine McGinn in New Hope (near Philadelphia), PA, and Dr Jess Ting in NYC. The first two are transgender women! Dr. Pierre Brassard in Montreal is also highly recommended. Those are the top names I've heard bantered about.

I know of Dr McGinn. I've cone across of her & I just heard about Dr Bowers today.
  •  

reborn

There are several good doctors in the USA. They all have developed specific techniques delivering different results. It really depends on what do you think a beautiful vagina is. Search for pictures of results and compare them with your expectations.
  •  

Litaw.wolf

Quote from: reborn on March 26, 2019, 05:49:43 PM
There are several good doctors in the USA. They all have developed specific techniques delivering different results. It really depends on what do you think a beautiful vagina is. Search for pictures of results and compare them with your expectations.

I've never seen a real vagina before.
  •  

sarah1972

To add to the list: there is also Dr. Bluebond-Langner at NYU.

There are a few more common ones.

The big names usually have very long wait lists.
Some of the less known names also have excellent reviews and most of them have trained with some of the big names.

When choosing my surgeon, my biggest deciding factor was how I feel about them and if I feel confident that they could produce a good result along with some information from other women who had surgery there.
I did want someone with a shorter wait list, in somewhat convenient distance and a good amount of experience.

This left me with four choices on the east coast.

I will know in 3 weeks how well my choice worked out... (well in 4, once the packing is removed).

•  

StacyRenee

Quote from: sarah1972 on March 27, 2019, 07:21:36 AM

Some of the less known names also have excellent reviews and most of them have trained with some of the big names.

When choosing my surgeon, my biggest deciding factor was how I feel about them and if I feel confident that they could produce a good result along with some information from other women who had surgery there.
I did want someone with a shorter wait list, in somewhat convenient distance and a good amount of experience.

I will know in 3 weeks how well my choice worked out... (well in 4, once the packing is removed).
I'm going this route also. I'm not so concerned about having a perfect vagina. I'm going back to American Institute for Plastic Surgery in Plano, Texas (near Dallas) for my Zero Depth Vaginoplasty. That's where I had my orchiectomy done in January.

•  

sarah1972

Quote from: StacyRenee on March 27, 2019, 08:10:14 AM
Quote from: sarah1972 on March 27, 2019, 07:21:36 AM

I'm going this route also. I'm not so concerned about having a perfect vagina. I'm going back to American Institute for Plastic Surgery in Plano, Texas (near Dallas) for my Zero Depth Vaginoplasty. That's where I had my orchiectomy done in January.

The funny thing was when I discussed it with my wife, she pointed out that she hates New York traffic. That took out two of them. McGinn was not really on my radar and I think she has a long wait list. And then I decided to meed Keelee MacPhee for a consult and we connected instantly. I also looked at her results on her web page and I was amazed by the appearance (of course, I know they only put the good results up). Long story short, she will be doing my surgery...

•  

Colleen_definitely

Quote from: StacyRenee on March 27, 2019, 08:10:14 AM

In my experience Dr. Raphael makes a pretty darn good looking one.
As our ashes turn to dust, we shine like stars...
  •  

CynthiaAnn

Only speaking from my own experiences, and now being almost 3 years post op I can look back with such relief, all the effort to get to the other side was so worth it. I waited 18 months in Dr Marci Bowers queue, my outcome today is fantastic, everything feels great and looks great, no complications. My PCP says my vagina looks just every bit like natal females. This procedure (GCS) made my life better today, for many reasons. I choose this surgeon, for her reputation, her local connections (Puget sound area) and support, she was in my insurance plan.

C-
  •  

AnonyMs

If you search for TransSurgeriesWiki you'll find some info on surgeons in the USA, including photos in some cases.
  •  

Dee

My experience with Dr. McGinn has been amazing! I really love my result so far (5 weeks), and her bedside & staff were spectacular. They're very detailed and thorough with their pre-surgical screenings, and super quick to respond. She doesn't accept insurance up front to cover her fee, but you can pre-authorize for insurance to cover the hospital and anesthesia fees. Her office will also assist to help with reimbursement for her fee. Plus, she was a doctor for astronauts. How cool is that?

This said- I would strongly advise against anyone pursuing Dr. Ting and Mount Sinai in NYC:
- They forgot about my consultation
- Ting picked up a conversation with staff about what he was doing after work, as he was asking if I had any other questions, when he did finally meet to consult
- Their entire electrolysis team quit because they felt his treatment was too aggressive, and likely ineffective
- Difficulty trying to communicate with his staff (was given a number to a call center, where messages went unanswered for months)
- When I went for a follow-up consultation to confront the concerns I had regarding the above, he was condescending and spoke over me until I made him aware I was recording the conversation
- Nearly every patient I met that had gone to him, ended up needing revisions. He has a nickname in some trans circles in NYC: Dr Shaky Hands.

The one plus I can give them, is they preauthorize for insurance pretty quickly and without issue  ;). But for real, Mount Sinai seems to be capitalizing on insurance companies being required to cover these surgeries. I was already a patient at Mount Sinai CTMS, and even my primary there admitted that they were taking on patients at a faster rate than they could grow to accommodate. Of course, not everyone can pay out of pocket with the hope of reimbursement, but if its at all possible, I'd advise looking elsewhere.

OK so I went on a little rant there. But all of this information feels important to consider- especially when his name is invoked as being among "one of the best." If anyone would like to discuss more, you are welcome to dm and I'll be happy to respond.
This is one voice not to forget;
"Fight every fight like you can win;
An iron fisted champion,"
  •  

StacyRenee

Thank you for sharing your experience, Dee! I only knew that Dr Ting was using the newest techniques (peritoneal Vaginoplasty). That's why at this point I'm looking to do a ZDV. If they make more advances, I'll look into a revision.

•  

Dee

Quote from: StacyRenee on March 30, 2019, 09:50:44 AM
Thank you for sharing your experience, Dee! I only knew that Dr Ting was using the newest techniques (peritoneal Vaginoplasty). That's why at this point I'm looking to do a ZDV. If they make more advances, I'll look into a revision.

Of course!

As for the peritoneal technique, I'm weary of surgeries like this, which don't offer any kind of long-term study (obviously, this is the struggle with any breakthrough). But Ting's eagerness to perform this surgery, along with my other concerns, only strengthened my opinion that he's out to make a name for himself, and isn't as concerned about his patients as you'd want your surgeon to be.
This is one voice not to forget;
"Fight every fight like you can win;
An iron fisted champion,"
  •  

jenn90210

Out of the results i've seen online over years and years of research Dr Marci Bowers has the best looking results out there. this is why i chose her to do my surgery. i don't care if i have to wait the 4 years. it'll be well worth it!

HRT - April 16, 2012
Full Time - January 8, 2013
BA & Body Feminization - Dr. Suarez - Oct 5, 2013
VFS - Dr. Kim - March 18, 2014

FFS - Dr. DiMaggio - December 11, 2014
  •