Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

MtF with long torso issues in tops and dresses

Started by sarahc, April 06, 2019, 07:45:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sarahc

So I'm 5'11, which in the scheme of things isn't particularly tall. However, I have a very long torso and pretty short legs - my inseam is actually only 29"-30" issues despite my average male height, so actually I can wear regular length women's pants no problem.

My problem is tops and dresses. In tops, I'm resigned to the fact that I have to shop stores that feature tops in tall sizes. Most regular tops are too short - I really need 27"-28" long tops in the back, and unfortunately tunics are totally unflattering on me so far.

Dresses, however, present a different issue: the waistline on most dresses is just too high and falls at the bottom of my rib cage, not my waist! That makes most dresses totally unworkable. Any suggestions or shopping advice re: dresses for someone with a really long torso?

Also, any tips on places that have good tall sections for tops? Lots of retailers have tall sections for pants, but not necessarily tops. Obv, Long Tall Sally is there, and Lands End and J. Jill have decent selections..., but any others, especially for workwear?

Sarah
----
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,244009.0.html)
Hope to go full-time: July / August 2019
FFS / SRS: 2020
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: sarahc on April 06, 2019, 07:45:33 AM
So I'm 5'11, which in the scheme of things isn't particularly tall. However, I have a very long torso and pretty short legs - my inseam is actually only 29"-30" issues despite my average male height, so actually I can wear regular length women's pants no problem.

My problem is tops and dresses. In tops, I'm resigned to the fact that I have to shop stores that feature tops in tall sizes. Most regular tops are too short - I really need 27"-28" long tops in the back, and unfortunately tunics are totally unflattering on me so far.

Dresses, however, present a different issue: the waistline on most dresses is just too high and falls at the bottom of my rib cage, not my waist! That makes most dresses totally unworkable. Any suggestions or shopping advice re: dresses for someone with a really long torso?

Also, any tips on places that have good tall sections for tops? Lots of retailers have tall sections for pants, but not necessarily tops. Obv, Long Tall Sally is there, and Lands End and J. Jill have decent selections..., but any others, especially for workwear?

Sarah

Sarah,

Well if you like mumus and the more traditional or classic fine casual, you might want to consider the Vermont Country Store's online store.  I have not specifically looked for "long" styles.  T-shirt dresses are nice, there are even some on special this weekend on the hot deals pages on Amazon.

I enjoy wearing the casual suburban soccer mom look.  Others can pull-off those runway fashions, but not me.

I wish you luck at finding good fits and styles. Consider trying Kohl's and L.L. Bean too.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Gertrude

EShakti. They will produce to measurements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  •  

Lyric

Ah, yes. You're long waisted. Welcome to the club. Countless women of all origins deal with this figure issue and you can certainly conquer it as well, Sarah. I'm long waisted and the same height as you. I find it's not as much a matter where you shop, but what you buy and how you wear it.

It's true that we can't wear every top or dress off the the shelf. You can find dresses that will work for you, and when you do you want to make the highish waist work for you. If the dress creates an artificial shorter waist and flairs out below, that's to your advantage.

I prefer skirts over dresses, though. The ideal combination is a snug solid dark LS top and a patterned long skirt with a bit of hip flairing to it. That way you can adjust you waist a bit high to look best on you without looking awkward. If you wear a very long skirt you can wear flat shoes, thus making you a bit shorter, too.

When you buy jeans, forget the hip-huggers. Go for high waist or mid-rise jeans. Wearing high heels with jeans balances you lower and upper differences, so try it. Of course, you'll be 6'3", but we always have to pay a price one way or the other.

Forget long tunic tops. You'll pretty much always want to tuck your top in. Arm length is a constant hassle for us. Look for tops with extra long arms. I find them here and there and always try to grab one. Luckily, shorter mid-arm sleeves are an acceptable fashion, as is rolling sleeves up a bit. This is what I do with shortish sleeves.

The upside is that we have no problem fitting women's skirts, pants and jeans. They're always long enough for me.

Watch celebrities closely for long-waist styling clues. Morning TV host Kelly Ripa is long waisted (though rather short) and always abides to the rules of long waisted dressing. She wears snug dark tops and flaired skirts all the time.

Fashion industry guru Sarah Ruston is another, as it YouTube beauty vlogger Leighannsays.
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •  

sarahc

Quote from: Lyric on April 09, 2019, 11:25:45 AM
Ah, yes. You're long waisted. Welcome to the club. Countless women of all origins deal with this figure issue and you can certainly conquer it as well, Sarah. I'm long waisted and the same height as you. I find it's not as much a matter where you shop, but what you buy and how you wear it.

It's true that we can't wear every top or dress off the the shelf. You can find dresses that will work for you, and when you do you want to make the highish waist work for you. If the dress creates an artificial shorter waist and flairs out below, that's to your advantage.

I prefer skirts over dresses, though. The ideal combination is a snug solid dark LS top and a patterned long skirt with a bit of hip flairing to it. That way you can adjust you waist a bit high to look best on you without looking awkward. If you wear a very long skirt you can wear flat shoes, thus making you a bit shorter, too.

When you buy jeans, forget the hip-huggers. Go for high waist or mid-rise jeans. Wearing high heels with jeans balances you lower and upper differences, so try it. Of course, you'll be 6'3", but we always have to pay a price one way or the other.

Forget long tunic tops. You'll pretty much always want to tuck your top in. Arm length is a constant hassle for us. Look for tops with extra long arms. I find them here and there and always try to grab one. Luckily, shorter mid-arm sleeves are an acceptable fashion, as is rolling sleeves up a bit. This is what I do with shortish sleeves.

The upside is that we have no problem fitting women's skirts, pants and jeans. They're always long enough for me.

Watch celebrities closely for long-waist styling clues. Morning TV host Kelly Ripa is long waisted (though rather short) and always abides to the rules of long waisted dressing. She wears snug dark tops and flaired skirts all the time.

Fashion industry guru Sarah Ruston is another, as it YouTube beauty vlogger Leighannsays.

Yes - this is all excellent advice.  I agree that tight tops look muuuch better on me, as do flared skirts and dresses. I also agree that straight pants with higher waists work best for me...no fancy pants for me. .Fortunately, I really don't have a problem with shirt sleeve length as long as I stick to the tall sizes - my arms aren't that long. I guess I'll just resign myself to the more limited selection in tall sizes and I'll have to be really picky with dresses.

That's a good idea to search for celebrity fashion shots, preferably those taller than Kelly Ripa.

Any tips on stores with a good selection for us besides the ones already mentioned?

Thanks!
Sarah
----
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,244009.0.html)
  •  

Haley Conner

Have you considered learning to sew?  it's the only way to get a truly tailored fit short of a tailor, for many people.  And it's kind of fun and more creative than buying clothes off the shelf. 
  •  

Kate.claire

Well, Lyric pretty much nailed it.  I have the exact same height and inseam dimensions as you.  All I can say is lots of trial and error on my side has gotten me to what works and what doesn't.  If I can get my abs in shape, a lot of my unintentional bare midriffs will be useful... but I've been saying that for way too long.

Henleys often come relatively long in the casual department, and you're in luck in the high waisted jean department because they are back in right now.  I hated them in the 80s, but have to admit they do look better on me than other jeans.

Also, nothing wrong with being 6'3 in heels, head over to the Netherlands and you'll just feel average.  I might just have to move there.

A quick google brought this up...  I see I've gravitated to a lot of the styles listed there without realizing what I was doing.  https://mport.com/blog/vertical-body-shape/

One more thing, start swimming, we make awesome swimmers.  ;)

Kate
Kate Carter

"I'm on outside, I'm on the outside now"

•  

sarahc

Quote from: Kate.claire on April 09, 2019, 09:01:59 PM

One more thing, start swimming, we make awesome swimmers.  ;)

Kate

I have always been a naturally good swimmer. Unfortunately, I have at best average-length arms and very small hands (definitely do not have to worry about my hands when it comes to passing!), so I was never going to be particularly fast. But I do enjoy it.

Sarah
----
  •  

sarahc

Quote from: Haley Conner on April 09, 2019, 08:52:49 PM
Have you considered learning to sew?  it's the only way to get a truly tailored fit short of a tailor, for many people.  And it's kind of fun and more creative than buying clothes off the shelf.

I have too many hobbies as it is...and tbh I'm not totally into fashion. I just want to look decent and things that fit.
----
  •