Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Little known Sci-fi shows

Started by Julia1996, April 27, 2019, 02:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julia1996

Quote from: LaRae on May 02, 2019, 11:53:27 AM
I like Farscape. It's difficult for me to remember what's well-known & what's not, as UI'm a super sci-fi dork, so most of them I've known for quite some time. Of the ones I think would qualify, or at least would nowadays,  there's Stargate-SG1 & Battlestar Galactica (2004).

I loved BSG. Initially I made fun of the BSG series from the 70s but after watching the series again I can see how it was well liked back then. However the after series, BSG 1980 was absolutely awful. It was just sad. I was disappointed that the centurians in the new BSG didn't talk. I thought they looked much cooler than the centurians in the old BSG. But I watched an online thing about how they made the original and the centurians on the original were not CGI. Those were really tall guys in actual costumes. I had wondered why the centurians in the original moved so slow and awkwardly while the ones in the new one were really fast and could run really fast. Wow, I can't imagine how hot and uncomfortable those centurian costumes must have been. And the robotic dog in the original was actually a chimp in a suit. I have to give it to the special effects people back then. They were certainly ingenious.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

GingerVicki

Quote from: Julia1996 on May 02, 2019, 12:23:29 PM
I loved BSG. Initially I made fun of the BSG series from the 70s but after watching the series again I can see how it was well liked back then. However the after series, BSG 1980 was absolutely awful. It was just sad. I was disappointed that the centurians in the new BSG didn't talk. I thought they looked much cooler than the centurians in the old BSG. But I watched an online thing about how they made the original and the centurians on the original were not CGI. Those were really tall guys in actual costumes. I had wondered why the centurians in the original moved so slow and awkwardly while the ones in the new one were really fast and could run really fast. Wow, I can't imagine how hot and uncomfortable those centurian costumes must have been. And the robotic dog in the original was actually a chimp in a suit. I have to give it to the special effects people back then. They were certainly ingenious.

Sometimes I watch older scifi shows because I am a geek/nerd/dork sometimes and I could not make it past the first episode because of the language used. I was offended by all of the macho madness and words spoken. It really shows how far we have come.
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: GingerVicki on May 02, 2019, 02:16:11 PM
Sometimes I watch older scifi shows because I am a geek/nerd/dork sometimes and I could not make it past the first episode because of the language used. I was offended by all of the macho madness and words spoken. It really shows how far we have come.

When the new BSG came out I remember reading how some fans of the original were outraged that they changed starbuck's character to a woman. I loved her. She was one of my favorite characters. Of course she also became a favorite character for many male viewers.  Her character was most definitely not very feminine, never wore makeup or had her hair styled and sometimes would beat the crap out of a man. Yet Tyler thought she was totally hot. Guys are so weird. I give up trying to understand them. 🙄
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Julia1996

Another series that seems to be forgotten is First Wave. It was ok and watchable but not exceptional.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: LaRae on May 02, 2019, 11:53:27 AM
I like Farscape. It's difficult for me to remember what's well-known & what's not, as UI'm a super sci-fi dork, so most of them I've known for quite some time. Of the ones I think would qualify, or at least would nowadays,  there's Stargate-SG1 & Battlestar Galactica (2004).

I liked that they had both Caudia Black and Ben Browder in the last seasons of stargate.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Bea1968

I have not seen space 1999 in 30-40 years....must look like Flash Gordon production quality now....I need to revisit that and Buck Rogers.
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: Bea1968 on May 02, 2019, 02:34:44 PM
I have not seen space 1999 in 30-40 years....must look like Flash Gordon production quality now....I need to revisit that and Buck Rogers.

Actually space 1999 really doesn't look that bad. The only things that stand out are the 70s style uniforms and hair and the use of small actual TVs in the consoles. I can't remember what they called their shuttles but I thought the design of the shuttles was very cool. Tyler is more critical than I am about how cheesy the older sci-fi shows are and he didn't have many bad things to say about space 1999. I have never found Buck Roger's on any of the streaming services so I have never seen it. But when I was looking for episodes of it on YouTube I kept finding movie trailers for it from like 1980. Was it also a movie?
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Bea1968

The this may be reaching a bit 30-40 years...didn't they call them eagles?
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: Bea1968 on May 02, 2019, 03:09:29 PM
The this may be reaching a bit 30-40 years...didn't they call them eagles?

Yes! Eagles! Thank you.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

big kim

UFO was from the same people that made Space 1999 but came out in 1970ish. It was quite dark for the time, some of the same actors appeared in it Used to enjoy UFO
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: big kim on May 02, 2019, 03:34:14 PM
UFO was from the same people that made Space 1999 but came out in 1970ish. It was quite dark for the time, some of the same actors appeared in it Used to enjoy UFO

I saw that on Amazon video. I thought it was pretty good for the time period. The clothes and makeup on the women was crazy but also very cool.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

LaRae

Quote from: Julia1996 on May 02, 2019, 02:28:14 PM
When the new BSG came out I remember reading how some fans of the original were outraged that they changed starbuck's character to a woman. I loved her. She was one of my favorite characters. Of course she also became a favorite character for many male viewers.  Her character was most definitely not very feminine, never wore makeup or had her hair styled and sometimes would beat the crap out of a man. Yet Tyler thought she was totally hot. Guys are so weird. I give up trying to understand them. 🙄

I loved Starbuck, I identify with her in a lot of ways, being very much a tomboy by nature. Not THAT much of one, though.  :P
"Never forget what you are, the rest of the world will not. Wear it like armour and it can never be used to hurt you."
  •  

Alice V

Quote from: Julia1996 on April 27, 2019, 02:58:33 PM
There are 4 scifi series I really liked but they seem little known even among sci fi  fans. The first is Earth final conflict. It's from gene roddenberry. I absolutely loved this show but it's pretty much unknown among most scifi fans. The second is Andromeda. This is also from Gene Rodenberry. It's ok. Not spectacular but watchable.  The third is farscape. I really liked it. Most Aussies know about farscape because it's an Australian show but most Americans have never heard of it. The last one is Lexx. It's also called Tales from the light and dark universe. I really liked this one too. But again, most people have never heard of it.

So my question is, have any of the sci fi fans here watched any of these shows and did you like them?

Oh, I saw Lexx in my childhood and watched it again relatively recently. Many years ago it was just something unusual, but now I see all this humor and gloom in this series and it makes me love it even more.
Yo way yo
Home va ya ray
Yo way rah
Jehrume Brunnen G!
"Don't try and blame me for your sins,
For the sun has burn me black.
Your hollow lives, this world in which we live -
I hurl it back."©Bruce Dickinson

My place
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: LaRae on May 02, 2019, 04:20:48 PM
I loved Starbuck, I identify with her in a lot of ways, being very much a tomboy by nature. Not THAT much of one, though.  :P

One scene Tyler thought was cool and hot was when starbuck and apollo got into the boxing ring and she totally owned him. Why would a guy find that hot? A woman who can beat the crap out of a guy is hot? I've said it before...guys are WEIRD!
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: Alice V on May 02, 2019, 04:21:57 PM
Oh, I saw Lexx in my childhood and watched it again relatively recently. Many years ago it was just something unusual, but now I see all this humor and gloom in this series and it makes me love it even more.
Yo way yo
Home va ya ray
Yo way rah
Jehrume Brunnen G!

I thought the guy who played Kie was hot despite that ridiculous wig on his head and his spandex cat suit. Lol
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Alice V

Quote from: Julia1996 on May 02, 2019, 04:58:10 PM
I thought the guy who played Kie was hot despite that ridiculous wig on his head and his spandex cat suit. Lol
He definitely was :D
"Don't try and blame me for your sins,
For the sun has burn me black.
Your hollow lives, this world in which we live -
I hurl it back."©Bruce Dickinson

My place
  •  

MaryT

Quote from: Bea1968 on May 02, 2019, 02:34:44 PM

Actually, I think that the old Flash Gordon episodes from the 1930s, with Buster Crabbe as Flash and Charles Middleton as Ming the Merciless, are still good and the special effects and styles hold up well, even after all these years. 
  •  

Colleen_definitely

Quote from: Julia1996 on May 02, 2019, 02:28:14 PM

Katee Sackhoff is really pretty so that certainly helps.  Some guys also really love assertive women. 

I was skeptical about making that character female at first but I really think she did a great job. 
As our ashes turn to dust, we shine like stars...
  •  

Colleen_definitely

Quote from: Julia1996 on May 02, 2019, 04:58:10 PM

Even with a gray beard and hair Michael McManus still look pretty darn good.
As our ashes turn to dust, we shine like stars...
  •  

Ryuichi13

Oh man, I remember watching Space 1999 during its first run!  And even though the clothes and hair styles were totally 1970s, the special effects were pretty advanced for the day. 

I also remembering looking up at the Moon on September 13th, 1999 and waiting for it to be blown out of orbit.  :laugh:  I'm glad that it wasn't.  I'd hate to think of what kind of destruction would happen to the Earth if that was to really happen. (>_<);

I also watched original Battlestar Galactica.  They made Starbuck into a woman during the reboot?  That's pretty wild!  I also watched Galactica 1980, which was a spinoff of the original BSG.

Did anyone watch either incarnation of V the TV series?  I only saw the original one done in the 1980s.

So many Sci Fi series came on TV after original Star Wars's success!

Ryuichi

•