Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

What gives you purpose in life?

Started by Madison2002, April 29, 2019, 10:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madison2002

So, we now know that the entire 'purpose' of the phenotype (you and me) is just to spread our genotype around by procreating. 'Love' is just a subjective experience produced by oxytocin, a chemical that you can manufacture in a cold lab somewhere.

You can make your 'loved ones' instantly forget all about you by damaging a few nerves.

'Morals' are a genetic construct to prevent the phenotype from damaging organisms that are genetically similar.

So, we're just a vessel for our DNA, a bunch of chemicals. What now? Do we just go on with the game pretending that nothing changed? Do we humor our genotype by continuing to bond and procreate, against our better judgment?

Why do we go on, knowing that everything is essentially meaningless? What gives you purpose?
  •  

Michelle_P

I firmly believe that there is more to our existence than being biochemical automata. 

Depending on belief systems, I am generally considered to be strongly agnostic or atheist.  I do not hold a firm belief that there is absolutely no deity, as I find that to be just as unprovable as beliefs in a deity, whether Biblical or Lovecraftian.

I am a secular humanist.  I believe that human beings are capable of being ethical and moral, without the threat of some mystical punishment.  I believe that as beings with the potential to be rational and reasoning, we have a certain responsibility to ourselves, one another, and the world around us.  From a simple biological perspective, the survival and thriving of our species depends on caring for the world we live on and with, as part of the interconnected web of life.

At a much broader perspective, I see us, the development of life with that potential to be rational and reasoning beings, to be an implicit function of this universe that happens to have all the right parameters to permit us to develop.  We exist as a mechanism for the universe to examine itself, an implicit and intrinsic component of the universe.

I find this is sufficient to give me purpose.
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

DebbySoufflage

Focussing on my studies gives me purpose in life.
I see myself as a seductive lawyer one day *smiles* .
Finding a boyfriend is another chore that keeps me busy with all the different dating apps and men who promise me the world lol.
  •  

Swedishgirl96

Enjoying life gives me purpose. Learning new things, experience food and visit new places. Hang out with new and old friends. Taking care of myself and my loved ones. My family gives me so much love <3

Enjoying and discovering the world gives me purpose.
La dolce vita
  •  

Bea1968

This will sound a bit shallow but the answer is ME.  My first reaction is to say, beer, video games, sex, and good food...but it all boils down to a hedonistic POV that focuses on me.  Even when I do nice things for others, it's a great ego boost for me,

Go ahead, hate me.

Bea
  •  

HappyMoni

Quote from: Madison2002 on April 29, 2019, 10:44:12 PM
So, we now know that the entire 'purpose' of the phenotype (you and me) is just to spread our genotype around by procreating. 'Love' is just a subjective experience produced by oxytocin, a chemical that you can manufacture in a cold lab somewhere.

You can make your 'loved ones' instantly forget all about you by damaging a few nerves.

'Morals' are a genetic construct to prevent the phenotype from damaging organisms that are genetically similar.

So, we're just a vessel for our DNA, a bunch of chemicals. What now? Do we just go on with the game pretending that nothing changed? Do we humor our genotype by continuing to bond and procreate, against our better judgment?

Why do we go on, knowing that everything is essentially meaningless? What gives you purpose?

Wow Madison, the words of a poet! lol

If you asked how I know I exist, I'd say, "I post, therefore I am." But you didn't ask that. Hmmmm! The reason for living? I got it. We tend to like to get joy in its many forms. I think we should pursue that but also contribute to the joy potential for others. It is that simple. So if you have a great time but you mess up the planet, that is not cool because it screws others.

I do like it when people are just nice. Not nice for a fear of being punished or fear of a God (god), just nice cause they feel it. I don't even care if someone believes in a deity, or which one. I judge others by their actions.

Oh, one more thing. Purpose is important. when people don't see that they have a purpose, they kind of shrivel up. The cool thing about transition is you do have a purpose, you have goals, it's pretty great  in that way. Post transition you kind of lose that and it can be a shock and an adjustment.
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

Alice V

I will push this a little forward. It's likely that quite soon humanity will extinct - maybe in few hundred years, maybe in few thousands... Ok, we may give us even hundred of thousands though I don't believe in that because I believe in humans foolishness, and even then all our history will be just a little moment in the universe, so basically even good intentions of progress for our kind looks meaningless.

Solution can be found in ourselves. Sure, we can cut us from existance in any moment, but why should we do this if there's many things which provide us endorphines/dophamines and makes us happy? Enjoying life is enough for me to stop looking for some bigger purpose. Me, in particular, in struggle with depression found ability to enjoy little moments, from obvious games and alco to just walk from point A to point B, it some kind of meditation for me. If I die, I'll just stop enjoying.
"Don't try and blame me for your sins,
For the sun has burn me black.
Your hollow lives, this world in which we live -
I hurl it back."©Bruce Dickinson

My place
  •  

plastic-mayhem

Love feels a lot better than contemplating neurohormones.  For me, the answer is feeling more and analyzing less
  •  

Madison2002

Cool answers, all. I ask because my college career is coming to an end and I don't have any direction besides caring for my grandparents until they die. And as someone else said, videogames. lol
  •  

Alice V

Quote from: Madison2002 on May 03, 2019, 03:35:10 AM
Cool answers, all. I ask because my college career is coming to an end and I don't have any direction besides caring for my grandparents until they die. And as someone else said, videogames. lol
Welcome into adult's life, lol :D
"When I was child I wondered why all this adults can't end wars and diseases. Then I grown up and realise that there is no adults but just lost big kids trying to figuring out how to live further"
"Don't try and blame me for your sins,
For the sun has burn me black.
Your hollow lives, this world in which we live -
I hurl it back."©Bruce Dickinson

My place
  •  

HappyMoni

Quote from: Madison2002 on May 03, 2019, 03:35:10 AM

Madison, what was your field of study? You have a blank slate ahead of you. You can look at it as a good or a bad thing. Using  a positive attitude going forward is such a plus.
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

Madison2002

It's in biology. I chose a STEM field, because yay science! Part of me wants to become a total hermit and do customer service or something from my bedroom. I want something quiet, away from people, but those are hard to find...
  •  

jkredman

Quote from: Madison2002 on April 29, 2019, 10:44:12 PM

Yes we're a vessel for a bunch of proteins.  But we can also be so much more - when we want to be.   

What other vessel can enjoy a sunrise or a sunset?  What other vessel can get emotional over a poem, a song, a story?  What other vessel can consciously improve the world or consciously destroy it?

Have you ever freed a bird that got itself entangled in a rose bush?  Have you ever slowed down, swerved, or stopped a car for an animal crossing the road?  Have you felt sadness or pain when you couldn't stop or swerve and crushed the animal?  How often in your life have you stopped what your doing to answer another vessel's question; or assisted a geographically lost vessel; or assisted a much older vessel who happened to cross your life's path?

Yes we are vessels, but we are vessels that have the consciousness and innate ability to protect and build other vessels up - should we chose to.

That is this vessel's purpose.   That includes building up this / my vessel.

Kate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kate
  •