Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

fibrocystic breasts and top surgery

Started by F_P_M, May 04, 2019, 05:58:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

F_P_M

So maybe an odd question but I have some major lumps and bumps in my left side which I believe are cystic. They hurt like hell.
of course this makes my desperation for top surgery all the more acute but then I worry about how those lumps and bumps and cysts might impact masculisation surgery.

Has anyone with fibrocystic breasts had top surgery and did the fact they were cystic make any difference to the procedure? Did having the breasts removed help ease the pain by removing the tissue that was cystic or is there a chance i'd still get cysts in the tiny remaining bit of breast tissue?
because that DOES concern me.

I have a doctor appointment to arrange on tuesday (its a long weekend) and they'll probably want to do a mammogram (AIEEEE) but i'm not overly concerned as i'm like 90% sure these lumps are cysts and nothing more sinister. But damn they're painful and the fact it's one side way worse than the other is a bit concerning. It's more i'm in horrible horrible pain.

It's just yet another thing my body does that makes me more and more determined to transition and just be DONE with being a broken useless female. I mean sure, even if mybody wasn't broken i'd still feel masculine but the pain, the ongoing damage my feminine hormones are doing to my body and my health, it does present a larger degree of urgancy.
  •  

Kylo

I did not have any "lumps" but having already had DM surgery there'll be nothing lump like left in there after. They also send all the excised tissue away for a routine cancer check on it, or did in my case, which came back negative.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

F_P_M

Well that's reassuring. I mean these lumps are HUGE. One of them I swear is like the size of a 50p piece at least.
Groooosss.
I hate them and they hurt so badly.

From what i'm reading, estrogen increases this problem and for people with estrogen dominance, which I seem to suffer from these days (Ew) suffer it a lot.
Sadly I have an awful lot of symptoms suggesting there's waaaaay too much estrogen in my system. Fibrocystic breasts, oedema, unexplained weight gain, exhaustion, cherry angiomas all over my back (there's at least 15 of them on my back and another half dozen on my shoulders and chest) and related blood spots on my arms that kinda look like little freckles but are actually blood seeping through my pores (yum)

I HAVE asked the doctor about these things, it's "just hormonal" which is their answer to everything and frankly i'm tired of being fobbed off. Bleeding out your damn pores is NOT "just hormonal" and thus nothing to worry about omg!

Does T reduce estrogen in your body quite efficiently? Do you think it might help reduce the cysts while I wait for the referral for top surgery to get these suckers off me? I suspect their initial approach will be exise them and give me progesterone but long term I can't stay on progesterone, it's horrible and makes me nauseated and as soon as I stop taking it i'll bleed, badly.
I don't really want to have to deal with that again. Last time I had progesterone I ended up in A&E practically freaking hemhoraging. (according to my flatmate I turned a funny shade of grey, hence why I was dragged to A&E)

It just... euuugh... makes me seriously anxious to have to go back on that stuff. Feminising hormones and I do NOT get along.

Do you think I could convince a doctor to give me a low dose of T to control the estrogen without having to wait the 2 years for the damn GIC? I've read some suggestion that they CAN give very low dose T to cis women without too much worry of masculinising effects and sure I actually WANT masculinising effects but i'm having to play the stupid game with the NHS here. *sigh* Might have to bite the bullet and pay for that private consultation. Getting on T sooner rather than later may in fact be the best thing I can do for my physical health.

I'm not supposed to have these hormones in me, i'm certain of it. If I was they wouldn't be destroying my body.

•  

Kylo

T will cause an "override" and eventual shutdown of ovary function which should decrease your E... but it also helps to reduce any excess fat in the body too as fat itself produces extra estrogen. It might help with the cysts but I'm not sure, cysts are usually fluid-filled and they say they go away on their own, but in any case top surgery will remove them all completely.

GPs probably won't prescribe the T unless it's for sexual dysfunction and stuff like that, without getting the approval from a GIC first. I mean they could in theory, but I'm betting they won't without you being diagnosed officially by the GIC, this seems to be standard procedure. After that it's plain sailing with permission to take T for life. Private gender clinics will do it, the only reason I was put off by that was because I'd heard - but don't take my word for this because I'm not 100% sure - that NHS GICs don't like it and in my financial position I needed NHS rates on my (paid) prescriptions. Couldn't have afforded private for long and I did not want to be dismissed by an NHS GIC because they thought I was self-medicating, or looked at stuff like genderGP as unofficial/self-medicating (I had heard rumours they did this). 
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

F_P_M

From what i've been told by those who've done it, it doesn't seem to do much with the GIC referral. I would def need the GIC referral for top surgery because I cannot afford that out of my own pocket (it's like 6k!) though private scripts aren't usually that expensive depending on the drugs. I used to pay uh.. £80 for 6 months of metformin which wasn't too bad, especially given doctors wouldn't perscribe it on the NHS and if they had would only give me a month at a time.

But you are right, I believe i'd have to go private to get T sooner. The GIC wait is 2 years for the first appointment and then another year before they get around to hormones and i'm not really sure i'll survive another 3 years of the escalating nonsense my body is subjecting me to.
It's getting worse and worse, to the point i'm convinced estrogen is trying to actually kill me.

Gendergp and the others will do shared care with the gp IF your gp agrees, which means nhs scripts and nhs bloods, but you still have to pay for the private endo to look at those bloods every 3 months or so by the looks.

With me the main concern is the initial expense. I really struggle to justify such amounts of money for ME, it feels selfish and I feel like a burden. *sigh* It's annoying but I feel paralysed when it comes to making such appointments.

Also from what I understand of the NHS and NICE guidelines, if they think you ARE self medicating they're supposed to give you a bridging script to mitigate the "danger". The GIC dismissing you for having a bridging script I think would be grounds to complain through PALS as it'd be against NICE guidelines to do so and potentially be endangering the patient.

Sadly with the NHS often you're at the mercy of individual medical professionals and need to really fight on a lot of turns for adequate care and for your rights. I have a LOT of experience with the NHS sadly, i've had health problems related to my ovaries ever since I started puberty at 10. I've fought doctors for over 20 years to get help, it's ridiculous really but it also means I have a lot of experience with hormone blood tests, hormones in general, all the various scans and tests. I know my biochemistry and how it all works pretty dang well at this point, or rather, how it doesn't work. And the more i've learned about my body, the more convinced I become that I was NEVER supposed to be female and something went horribly horribly wrong in utero.

But oh top surgery sounds soooo goood. I was initially scared of it and the drains and stuff. Not so much the pain but the sponge baths. I  HATE sponge baths. Which is a pretty ridiculous thing to stop you having a procedure done but there ya go. When it comes to the pain aspect, I dunno, i've had a 4th degree tear and retained stitches that had to be dug out of my lower region, i've had mastitus and engorgement, i've had regular UTIS since I was 7, i've had quincy where my throat closed and I couldn't even swallow my own spit, i've had sepsis which makes every single part of your body a burning seething sea of agony.
I mean given all the horrible stuff i've survived, chest surgery seems well, pretty minor. The pain of incisions is like "eh, whatevs"
I just don't wanna not bathe!

But ultimately the long term benefits.. oh.. oh my. No cysts, no cyclical pain so bad I can't raise my arms or stand fabric against them, being able to wander around topless! not having to wear a top swimming! clothes fitting properly! never having to wear a bra ever again and as a result not having that extra layer of hot in the summer and the itching every single evening from the straps!
YES!
yes please!
  •  

Kylo

In my case, I requested a specific surgeon (private one who works at Nuffield Health, recommended to me) to my supervising Endo at the GIC, and somehow they made provision for him almost immediately. I guess the NHS funds allocated for surgeons aren't only limited to NHS breast cancer surgeons but also to cosmetic surgeons agreeing to do it. So although on the NHS, I got an op on Nuffield Health. I am guessing the NHS had the funds ready but not enough places with NHS surgeons at the time, so they offered them to accepting private surgeons. This might well become more common as the regular NHS surgeons tend to be busy with cancer-related surgery...

Anyway, I was in for op at 2pm, it was being done by 4 pm, the drains were out the following day and I was home by 5pm next day. The only sponge bath necessary was the shower I gave myself prior to the surgery with the antibac wash sponge they give you. I had no pain, there was no need to use the morphine, just a couple of paracetemol every so often for the tingling.

I expected it to be an ordeal and it was more like a brief hotel stay. By 2 weeks when the bandages came off for the first time, it was 99% healed up.

Provided there's no complications, I wouldn't expect it to be anything to write home about, it's very quick and the op severs most of the nerves in the area for a few months so you might well be in far less pain than you are now. I had something called "blockers" done, where they inject the pectorals with a long-lasting painkiller right before they cut out all the breast tissue, that took 2 days to wear off so by the time that wore off I was already over it. Not bathing sucks but 2 weeks without went by much better than I hoped. I thought I'd be reeking when they took of the gauze and there were no smell whatsoever. Not even a bit of sweat. Bizarre. Just had to get used to showering my lower body and then hand-washing around the gauze for 2 wks. 
  •  

F_P_M

Yeah that's what I hate, washing AROUND guaze lol.

I'm ridiculous I know.

Sounds like it's pretty tolerable otherwise though. Oh I tell ya, getting these things OFF me at last would be amazing. I hated them when they first arrived at 10, i've held a sort of grudging tolerance of them all these years which has been purely based on "well what choice have I got?" thinking.

What's terrible is that honestly a part of me was sort of hoping they'd look at the cysts and go "yep, we gotta lop that off" but that won't happen.
Also I don't want a masectomy in that form, I want the masculisation cosmetic aspect too.

But if just hacking them off was essential I don't think i'd really cry any tears over it.
  •